Degraded blurry image quality in Stable 2.5.6 in VR with Rift CV1

Agathos_Deimon

Patched my client yesterday and tried out 2.5.6 today for a couple of hours.

I ran into an issue with image quality on my Rift CV1.

The image in VR now overall looks blurry, squishy and seems to has less contrast than in 2.5.5.

I keeped my settings the same and tried out the new mask and bloom settings in VR tab. But it doesn't make a difference. Mask doesn't seem to affect performance at all and only seems to degrade the area where MSAA is applied in the final image. Bloom ON/OFF makes no differences on teh blurrieness.

I stayed away from SSAA and SSLR and both are off.

I also checked if anything went wrong the the PD setting, but using the Oculus Debug tool, i can see that my render resolution is the same as in 2.5.5

Especially flying towards ships and generally looking at any place where land or ships reflect in the water really hurts the eyes now.

Strangelly things like chat, FPS indicator which where nice sharp and steady in 2.5.5 now look really bad and squishy in 2.5.6

Overall it seems like i have to look through and "additional" layer compared to the previous version and this layer to some extend acts like a milk glass.

Hard to enjoy DCS in VR in this form.

Yeah, it looks like they added a lot of morning haze. It seems to come from the new light effects.

I can't say it's less beautiful or less realistic, but indeed on the Oculus CV1 it does not improve things. It was already difficult to see details...

Add to this the loss of fps and the stutter... I won't update from 2.5.5 to 2.5.6 stable for now (I tested 2.5.6 stable through steam with the community Skyhawk mod only).

>> "Milky effect"

There's a new Bloom option in settings. Turn that off will remove the glow around bright objects/text.

I had to restart the game to see the bloom disappear.

Edges of the water is very aliased (Blurry/jaggy) with all the reflections so I had to put my water effects to low.

Edited by JasonJ

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

>> "Milky effect"

There's a new Bloom option in settings. Turn that off will remove the glow around bright objects/text.

I had to restart the game to see the bloom disappear.

Edges of the water is very aliased (Blurry/jaggy) with all the reflections so I had to put my water effects to low.

Had Bloom OFF and restartet game, but the blurred effect didnt go away.

Will have to try out the water settings. But in the past dropping to anywhere below HIGH lead to some very ugly auras/halos on objects infront of the water. Most noticable when being on a carrier and seing thos dark auras around the carrier deck and every plane part that stuck beyond the deck and had water as backround.

But as said here, most seems to be related to the new lightning effects. Probably not an issue on higher resolution VR HMDs, but on the RIFT CV1 it really takes away alot of the image quality.

Hello

All seetings have to be redone with the new light system in order to get happy

Did you Reduce Gamma setting ?

Gamma setting was about 2.2 in 2.5.5

I set it to 1.6 in 2.5.6 for now

And everything is now fine for my point of view

Hello

All seetings have to be redone with the new light system in order to get happy

Did you Reduce Gamma setting ?

Gamma setting was about 2.2 in 2.5.5

I set it to 1.6 in 2.5.6 for now

And everything is now fine for my point of view

I tested water, which showed that on MED or LOW i still get those black auras, so those where no options.

Than in a night mission i saw some strange issues and there i though i might have to ajust Gamma. Had it at 2.0 in 2.5.5 and now put it to 1.7.

I am not completely happy, as Gamma seems to result in rather strange things now - especially at night - and small changes have rather strong effects. Also there seems - atleast for the CV1 - only a very small zone in which gamma works compared to 2.5.5 where the range in which you could change it with no negativ effects in quality was rather broad.

a screen tearing sorte of thing with the prop effects in the P47.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276496

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Sorry late reply. I said earlier to try water set to "low".

Just found a thread mentioning water must be set to high to get rid of reflection blurriness.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4272739

Not tested myself. Many DCS changes lately so you will have to test yourself.

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |

PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti OC | 32GB RAM @3000 | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |

PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle & Collective: Logitech Attack3 Modded | Button Box: G25 Shifter |

Cockpit || HP Reverb VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | 2x Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |

• 6 months later...

Hi Agathos,

I wonder if you finally solved the problem? I got a new HP Reverb G2 and I have the same issue you are describing above. The image is a bit blurry, and everything looks duplicated by a millimeter, as with "ghosts", as if there were two images one right next to the other by half a millimeter. Blurry.

It would be great to know if you solved the matter.

Thanks!