A10-C is it worth it ??

subseauk

I decided to buy this one during this sale period. I actually wanted a fighter first since the included Su-25T is ground attack but no A2A fighter currently seems complete enough.

Been trying the F14 and it's very well done but just don't like Jester doing all the work and choose from a menu wheel. And jumping cockpit is even more immersion breaking for me.

F18 according to the Roadmap will be done next year. When I tried it during FFA, I was disappointed with lack of training missions.

I would really love F16 since I've been Falcon 4.0 fan for long time but it's just too unfinished.

F15 and Su27 are not even on the horizon.

It is kinda sad that even with everything ED is offering, A10C is the only one worth buying atm.

By the way, I've seen some people's posts about A10C v2. Some say it's more than 2 years out and even saw a post saying EA version will be out towards end of this year. Which I don't believe as I don't even see it in the Roadmap. But what would be the realistic estimate for v2?

If you want to buy a module and don't know which one, then go for the A-10C. From personal experience: You can't go wrong with this, you have a large selection of campaigns that you can also purchase and you are busy for months to learn this module well.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

I'd say the A-10C in general i definitely worth it. But for a long time now it has issues with cockpit instrument lighting and also MFCD and TGP image brightness issues.

I would hold off until fixed.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I'd say the A-10C in general i definitely worth it. But for a long time now it has issues with cockpit instrument lighting and also MFCD and TGP image brightness issues.

I would hold off until fixed.

The cockpit lighting was just temporarily broken in the past few beta patches and is been fixed in the current beta. The MFD and TGP brightness can be adjusted with the corresponding buttons right next to the display.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The cockpit lighting was just temporarily broken in the past few beta patches and is been fixed in the current beta. The MFD and TGP brightness can be adjusted with the corresponding buttons right next to the display.

I'm on the latest OB, and I can barely see any cockpit instrument lights, except for the flood light, which just makes everything glare.

And the MFD's brightness are wayyyyy too high. You ALWAYS have to turn it down to almost 0 to be able to see anything on the TAD or TGP. Also, tuning the brightness/contrast in an MFD displaying the TGP in CCD-mode so you can see anything, will make it impossible to see anything when switching to WHOT/BHOT-modes.

There's definitely some brightness/contrast/gamma issues going on STILL in the latest OB with the A-10C. Especially regarding the MFD's with TAD and TGP views. The cockpit lighting is not as critical an issue, but still definitely exists.

EDIT: All shadercaches cleared offcourse. Also, I'm in VR, don't know if these issues are present in 2D but I bet they are.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz

On the latest stable release, lighting is fine. I would assume OB would return to that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

As a miserable old git I feel I should point out that in a lot of MP servers the A-10C is a bit vulnerable unless you have a buddy in another A/A fighter to cover you. But it's the original and everything works really well, can carry practically everything and looks fantastic. The HOTAS is a work of art!

I'm on the latest OB, and I can barely see any cockpit instrument lights, except for the flood light, which just makes everything glare.

+1 Same.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

That's odd. Those issues are fixed for me in the current OB :huh:

Have you tried deleting your metashader and fxo folders?

The default brightness on the MFDs on the other hand is indeed far off, but it can be adjusted to normal levels. You have to adjust it for CCD/WHOT/BHOT seperately though as you said, so I guess this is indeed something that could be adjusted by ED.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Have you tried deleting your metashader and fxo folders?

EDIT: All shadercaches cleared offcourse. Also, I'm in VR, don't know if these issues are present in 2D but I bet they are.

I think you missed the bottom edit :smilewink: So, you're saying, that daytime you see instrument lighting in the A-10C in the latest OB?

I can see the warning panel lights, NWS light and navigation source button lights fine, but all the analogue instruments and side panel label lights are barely lit at all, at full turns of the lighting knobs.

Edited by chrisofsweden

Oh, I did indeed and I also missed that you were talking about the analogue instrument lights. I agree, that they are indeed barely lit and not just since ED messed with the lighting, but all the way since we got the new cockpit for the A-10C. So yeah, they definitely need some tweaking indeed! :thumbup:

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes. I could have been more clear about exactly what cockpit lights I was referring to. Agreed, it's been very poor since the new pit was introduced.

I'd also really recommend the qualification campaigns by Maple Flag. They are not training missions in that they mostly don't tell you how to do stuff, but they do present a structured way to learn the aircraft and build up your skills, and they force you to learn how to do things right rather than just going straight out to blow everything up. I took perverse pleasure in the fact that you don't even carry a weapons until part way into the second campaign, but instead have to make sure you can navigate efficiently at night and then land in a cross-wind, or carry out AAR reliably (that one took me a good few goes!). I also like the fact that the first examiner is a real hard-ass - forget to test the pitot heater during start up? "You have performed poorly - do it again!".

One or two missions had the odd bug, and the progression of difficulty seems a bit off in places, but overall these campaigns added a great deal to my experience of learning the A10C (to the extent that I have). I just wish other aircraft had something similar.

I'd also really recommend the qualification campaigns by Maple Flag. They are not training missions in that they mostly don't tell you how to do stuff, but they do present a structured way to learn the aircraft and build up your skills, and they force you to learn how to do things right rather than just going straight out to blow everything up. I took perverse pleasure in the fact that you don't even carry a weapons until part way into the second campaign, but instead have to make sure you can navigate efficiently at night and then land in a cross-wind, or carry out AAR reliably (that one took me a good few goes!). I also like the fact that the first examiner is a real hard-ass - forget to test the pitot heater during start up? "You have performed poorly - do it again!".

One or two missions had the odd bug, and the progression of difficulty seems a bit off in places, but overall these campaigns added a great deal to my experience of learning the A10C (to the extent that I have). I just wish other aircraft had something similar.

I bought one or two, basic for sure. I will give it a try this summer, put it on hold after messing the manual start.

I´m not used to that, I fly some many modules and with less time, I always go by autostart.

Thanks.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

The BIG test are TEW3.0 and OPF campaign. For those you need to be able to handle your Hog quickly without reading all your checklist when emergency CAS are needed.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

+1 on that, those are great to improve the skills on A-10C, very thorough and interesting. It's definitely not for casual flying.

(Don't confuse them with the more recent BFM campaigns from the same author, they have nothing in common.)

Those, and the other great campaigns for the A-10C really make this module one of the best entry choice, IMHO I would even say the best by far. The fact it's being revamped could be a reason to hold off until it's released, though (that, and the terribly buggy mouse mapping of the cockpit switches...).

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 2 weeks later...

I own quite a few of the dcs modules now (F18, F16, AV8B, AJS37, Spitfire, Yak, Huey, SU27) and in my opinion the A10C is the best of them and the one I enjoy the most. For me, everything just works in this module, with very few if any bugs that i have experienced. The A10 is such a mission dedicated machine, built for a limited role and purpose and it does that extremely well. The simulation, in my view, is excellent and the systems all work as well as being highly accurate. Once you get to grips with the systems it is all highly intuitive and easy to use everything it was designed to do - that is to say CAS, ground attack.

As others have mentioned previously, but its worth repeating, I cannot recommend enough doing some of the qualification campaigns. The tactical quals will force you to really learn the machine, through getting into the weeds of how everything works. This will require doing some missions multiple times, a lot of google and youtube searching followed by repetition. By the end of this you will be feeling very comfortable with operating it. Once you really understand the sensors, tgp and SOI function and weapons pages and profiles (sounds more complicated than it is), I would definitely recommend using a Thrustmaster Warthog set up and matching the controls. Then just fly, fly and fly and you will certainly be rewarded with what is in my view, the best simulated module in DCS.