Realistic Carrier Cold Start Training Mission

Hello,

The built-in training mission for the Hornet is for a shore-based aircraft. With this mission, I wanted to build a realistic Carrier-based Cold Start training mission ... inspired by a great video by @Tricker:

On this Mission, we will learn how to do a detailed Carrier Cold Start on the Hornet, following the Procedure of the NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-000 manual.

Contents:

- 7.1.4 Interior Check

- 7.1.5 Engine Start

- 7.1.6 Before Taxi

While many DCS players like to setup TACAN & ICLS during the Cold Start, they are not part of the official Procedure, so I left them out and will cover their setup on a future Mission dedicated to them.

The mission is set on the Persian Gulf for realism, sorry to those that have not yet purchased this Map. I will edit a copy of this mission, but with the Supercarrier as backdrop, soon. :thumbup:

Download the Mission here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310191/

Here is a video walk-trough so that you can know what to expect from the mission:

If you find any bug with it, please post it here and I will do my best to fix it.

Known issue: Don't go onto external view while starting up the engines, as the mission triggers need to "see" the IFEI when spooling up :)

Best regards,

Eduardo

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Very nice mission. Looking forward to see this with a Super Carrier and also a land based one if you have the free time.

Also, this mission gives a good perspective as to much how functionalities are still missing and not yet implemented by ED on the F/A-18C

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Hi Rudell, I am having some issues using the mission? Firstly, I use viacom and cant seem to raise the ground crew using the voice commands ( to turn on gnd power..) There is no indication of frequency to set for the carrier in the briefing. Can I assume you MUST use the on screen menus to do this rather than VA? Once started, I presume I will need to tune radios, where can I find the assigned frequencies please ?

Second issue, is that at the gnd power stage, chief has turned me on, I have turned on the various gnd power switches as shown, but the master caution and displays do not come on......from this point on, I need power which I dont have so am unable to proceed further.

Hope you can help! Thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi Rudell, I am having some issues using the mission? Firstly, I use viacom and cant seem to raise the ground crew using the voice commands ( to turn on gnd power..)

Hi,

Unfortunately, I’m not a Viacom user, so I don’t know how you do communications with it. On my rig I just press the Com1 PTT button on my hotas, that is binded to the proper F-18 command.

There is no indication of frequency to set for the carrier in the briefing.

For the Ground Crew there is no frequency requirement, as you are using the Intercomm to talk with them .. DCS simplifies this a lot, and thus you can reach the Ground crew using the usual \ comm key or the Com1 or Com2 PTTs.

Once started, I presume I will need to tune radios, where can I find the assigned frequencies please ?

To contact ATC I make use of radio Com1 Preset 2 .. if you already know how to manually tune a frequency then maybe you are beyond the intended audience knowledge :)

The on-screen text tells the user how to tune the radio:

“ 4. Set COM 1, COM 2 and ADF as desired.

For this Mission, we will tune the COM 1 radio to Preset 2, which is set to the ATC Frequency. Turn the dial using the Mouse wheel, until a “2” is show on its visor.”

Second issue, is that at the gnd power stage, chief has turned me on, I have turned on the various gnd power switches as shown, but the master caution and displays do not come on......from this point on, I need power which I dont have so am unable to proceed further.

Did you used the Ground Power reset switch, before turning the circuits 1,3 and 4 on?

The instructions for this part of the mission are:

"In order to communicate with ATC, we will ask the Ground Crew to connect external power. Press the \ key (or either PTT button on the HOTAS), the Communications Menu will appear:

- Select F8: Ground Crew.

- Click F2: Ground Electric Power

- Select F1: ON

Press [spacebar] once the Ground Crew has connected the External Power.

1. External Power Switch – Set to RESET.

This switch must be positioned to RESET before external power can be applied to the aircraft buses. The RESET position is spring loaded to NORM. Once on NORM (after passing by RESET), the aircraft buses are connected.

2. External Ground Power Switch 1 – Set to B position, hold for 3 seconds while the avionics under-cool warning temperature switch performs an internal BIT test.

... etc"

:thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Rudel, OK, sounds more of a VA issue than otherwise with the ground crew comms. It’s strange as the same command works fine in other missions though, which was why I wondered if it was connected to the mission in some way.

I have tried the mission twice and pretty positive I have followed the procedure exactly. I will check key bindings and try again, thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi Rudel, have checked again and same thing happens, key binds are all good for the external power switches and gnd crew confirm external power is on......definitely following the instructions regarding gnd power reset.

However, I don't have any power in the jet.....I have made a track to show you....however, having issues compressing the file so it can be uploaded here? I made a zip file, but its the same size as the track! The only compress options I have are associated with emailing the file and I don't have an email client on this sim PC....

If you PM an email address, I can send you a We transfer link to the track file?

Let me know what you think, thanks

Edited by markturner1960

Hay Ruddel, verry, verry nice Idea, Good Job :thumbup:

Now we Need a Checklist via kneeboard :book:

I9-9900K, MSI 390 MAG, SSD, MSI RTX 4080, 32 DDR4, HP G2

MFG Crosswinds, 2x MFD, WINWING F-18Super Libra und Super Taurus, Flightsim :book:since 1982

Hi Rudel, have checked again and same thing happens, key binds are all good for the external power switches and gnd crew confirm external power is on......definitely following the instructions regarding gnd power reset.

However, I don't have any power in the jet.....I have made a track to show you....however, having issues compressing the file so it can be uploaded here? I made a zip file, but its the same size as the track! The only compress options I have are associated with emailing the file and I don't have an email client on this sim PC....

If you PM an email address, I can send you a We transfer link to the track file?

Let me know what you think, thanks

Hi, we have similar setup and I've run this mission >10 times now without issues. I suspect the problem is that your ground power switch 1 doesn't stick. You have to hold down that switch until it prompts you to move to ground power 2 switch, this can take several seconds. The instruction says 3 seconds but for me it requires longer press.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hay Ruddel, verry, verry nice Idea, Good Job :thumbup:

Now we Need a Checklist via kneeboard :book:

Hi,

This Checklist is one of the most accurate:

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=493

not identical to what I did on the Mission, as I wanted to use Ground Power in order to have the Radio operating earlier, but pretty similar.

Best regards,

Eduardo.

Hi Rudel, sorry, but when I get to where Chief confirms gnd power off, I press space bar and nothing happens, the instructions just stop.....

Hi Rudel, sorry, but when I get to where Chief confirms gnd power off, I press space bar and nothing happens, the instructions just stop.....

OK, I will take a look at it tonight and then get back to you. :thumbup:

Hello,

I re-tested the misión and found that if the throttle is not at Idle, but a bit beyond, then the trigger would not detect that the throttle was indeed on Idle. I adjusted the trigger to give it more tolerance about the Idle throttle position. Please download the mision again and try it now, please :thumbup:

Here is a video of me testing that part of the mision .. I used the spacebar to cut most audios short, as I wanted a short video:

Best regards,

Eduardo

Rudel, do you plan any more in-depth training missions for F/A-18 like you did for JF-17?

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ!

Gib full-fi Su-27 or MiG-29 plz!

AMD R7 3700X|32GB DDR4 RAM|Gigabyte RTX2070S Gaming OC|2TB NVMe SDD + 1TB SSD + 2TBB + 1TB HDD|Dell P3421W|Windows 10 Pro x64

TM Warthog|MFG Crosswind|Samsung Odyssey+|TrackIR 5

Modules: Mirage F1|Mi-24P|JF-17|F/A-18C|F-14A/B|F-5E|M-2000C|MiG-21bis|L-39|Yak-52|FC3|Supercarrier || Terrains: Persian Gulf|NTTR|Normandy|Syria

Rudel, do you plan any more in-depth training missions for F/A-18 like you did for JF-17?

Not at the moment, I took a break from the more modern planes and I’m now flying the MiG-21 and the A-4E, instead of the Hornet.

I adjusted the trigger to give it more tolerance about the Idle throttle position. Please download the mision again and try it now, please :thumbup:

Hi Rudel

I just downloaded your training mission (30mins ago), but I also still have the same issue with space bar not responding after disconnecting ground power. Checked this thread and then double checked that my throttles were in idle. Still no joy.

Anyway, thank you for this training mission. I know how to get the Hornet from cold and dark to airborne asap, but it feels great doing it by the book again after so long :thumbup:

I wonder though, is this some kind of extended startup procedure? I mean, I assume that during a normal start-up, one would't be using ground power, right?

Do you have any plans on doing interactive CASE I/II/III training missions? That would be very welcome! (I have no idea how to create something like this, but maybe you could enforce active pause in those trainings, to provide time for explanation)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I just downloaded your training mission (30mins ago), but I also still have the same issue with space bar not responding after disconnecting ground power. Checked this thread and then double checked that my throttles were in idle. Still no joy.

Sorry to hear about this bug ... currently the mission is trying to autodetect when you attain stable idle rpm .. I will redesign this part of the mission and replace this autodetection with a different approach. :(

Anyway, thank you for this training mission. I know how to get the Hornet from cold and dark to airborne asap, but it feels great doing it by the book again after so long :thumbup:

Yes, that’s the idea ... I truly enjoy getting to know the aircraft systems more in-depth, and it is precisely during the cold start that one gets to interact with so many different aspects of the aircraft.

I wonder though, is this some kind of extended startup procedure? I mean, I assume that during a normal start-up, one would't be using ground power, right?

Actually, I strived to follow the natop’s procedure as closely as I can ... and the manual does give you the choice to use either batteries or ground power .. in fact you can also not use the apu at all and instead use ground air supply, and even use cross-bleed air to start the 2nd engine .. there are a lot of choices on this area, take a look at the manual for this part of the procedure:

cQ4fIA0.jpg?1

I chose ground power in order to be able to use the radio before starting the engines.

Do you have any plans on doing interactive CASE I/II/III training missions? That would be very welcome!

I don’t have plans for that at the moment ... tough I might do more in the future ... I got a bit tired of the Hornet, and so currently I’m re-learning the MiG-21 and its cold start training mission was really unhelpful.. so I started editing a more complete one for myself :smartass:

The only problem is that there is nothing like the Natops manual for the Mig, so I’m using an english translation of the russian manual .. it works, but the translation is awful, so I’m also making use of the really superb checklist that the 476th virtual squadron made for the MiG .. I have the mission 60% complete and expect to finish it this week.

Best regards,

Eduardo

I just downloaded your training mission (30mins ago), but I also still have the same issue with space bar not responding after disconnecting ground power.

Hello,

I've checked the mission and found that at that point the mission is waiting for your APU to go off-line, something which occur automatically one minute after the left engine has attained idle.

This should be a very minimum wait, as you have first to check the IFEI values and then order the Ground Crew to disconnect the ground power .. my guess would be that you skip the checking of the IFEI (by pressing spacebar) and then the wait for the next trigger would be rather long.

I added a message telling the user to wait a bit after turning off the Ground power. This wait is needed as I don't want the APU shutoff to occur on the middle of the next explanations :thumbup:

I've also learned that users can see SuperCarrier ground crew even if they don't own the module, so I took the opportunity to add a few crew members around your plane, to add to immersion :)

Please, download the corrected mission again: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310191/

Best regards,

Eduardo

Rudel, does the latest version support supercarrier? If not do you mind if I convert it for personal use? Thanks for creating this fine tutorial.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Rudel, does the latest version support supercarrier? If not do you mind if I convert it for personal use? Thanks for creating this fine tutorial.

For a Cold Start training, adding the SC wouldn't give any real benefit, try this latest update .. it has crew members near the aircraft, giving the immersion without needing the SC itself.

If it is for personal use, I don’t mind you editing the mission, what I wouldn’t like is redistribution of it :thumbup:

For a Cold Start training, adding the SC wouldn't give any real benefit, try this latest update .. it has crew members near the aircraft, giving the immersion without needing the SC itself.

If it is for personal use, I don’t mind you editing the mission, what I wouldn’t like is redistribution of it :thumbup:

I’ll check it out thanks. Nope, no redistribution.

Tested it in VR, what better way to do it with the brand new NVIDIA driver with DX12 Ultimate (course DCS doesn't use any of that). It's fairly taxing and I'm averaging only 43.7 fps during the entire session with my Valve Index (PD 1.3, low shadows, MSSAx2, 80Hz) but very cool with all these planes taking off and realistic shadows.

I'm afraid my current VR setup and settings won't do well with the Supercarrier version in terms of FPS.

• 4 weeks later...