DCS: F/A-18C Features Roadmap for Early Access

Kate Perederko

Having people like you in this community is great. You are able to lay down the facts and show people who are constantly complaining that they should have a 100% perfect gaming experience is foolish and plain stupid. No game ever produced is perfect. No plane, train or car is perfect and bug free. I have some flying experience, but not much in real life. If most of these people who are complaining about the modules not being perfect actually went out and flew for real, they would come back to the sim and think it is leaps and bounds easier and stop complaining. This sim, as good as it is, still will not prepare you for the real world and how the plane acts and feels in the air. Flying around in DCS feels to me like I am in a vacuum most of the time. Stable air and super predictable. In real life the plane gets battered and bounced around one second then the next it feels nice and smooth. Then bang you hit and updraft or down draft, wind sheer etc. landing a plane in real life takes a lot more practice and concentration then in this sim for sure. Also your life is actually in real danger. No reset buttons kids. To illustrate this point, has anyone ever been on a commercial flight with zero turbulence? You also would not know the issues that came up during the flight in the pit the pilots had to deal with and the failures they had that were non-critical. If you did you would likely never get back on one again. No one wants to know how the hotdogs are made.

Thank you Bonz for your insight and service. You sound like you would be an interesting person to talk to.:thumbup:

I think you are absolutely right and its great to have someone like Bonz on board. I think that developers these days are the victims of their present exceptional abilities which, speaking as someone who once upon a time 'flew' FS2000 models, produce a level of visual quality, technical capability and general fidelity that is absolutely wonderful. There then follows a degree of expectation that is thoroughly unreasonable. $70 models are never going to be perfect and when you consider the thousands, perhaps millions, spent on military training simulators and even they are not perfect, then you realise you'd be foolish to expect anything else.

Edited by Neil Gardner

I'm sorry if this was covered somewhere (I searched the thread and didn't find anything). Is there a plan to implement 'GRID' so we can finally use MGRS coordinates? I'm not seeing it anywhere in the features list.

GRID and markpoint, plus OAP as desirable, please!!

I'd like to know that as well: at the moment the lack of consistency in 2-position and 3-position switch support is quite annoying:

- in the F-16 the master arm switch works correctly for WH Throttle 2-position switches, while in the F-18 it doesn't;

- in the F-16 the refuel door switch doesn't work correctly for WH Throttle 2-position switches, while in the F-18 it does (for the probe).

I don't really get why that couldn't be fixed this year...

Agreed. This has been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time.

I'd like to know that as well: at the moment the lack of consistency in 2-position and 3-position switch support is quite annoying:

- in the F-16 the master arm switch works correctly for WH Throttle 2-position switches, while in the F-18 it doesn't;

- in the F-16 the refuel door switch doesn't work correctly for WH Throttle 2-position switches, while in the F-18 it does (for the probe).

I don't really get why that couldn't be fixed this year...

I don't know anything about coding, but my guess would be that it's not very adaptable or something like that. "BMS alternate launcher" solution to this by binding a function to either press or release of a button, which work like a charm, Razbam's solution on the Mirage is by making some "3-way switches" bindings, which works, but isn't as good.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Gear

TM Warthog | TM MFD | Buddyfox UFC | Logitech G Pro Flight Rudder | TrackIr 5 | Oculus CV1 | Voiceattack+VAICOM | Tacview | Comatflite | too many modules

Interesting to see the JHMCS for A-G designation as #3 feature, as it is to me the #1 feature.

While I wait a lot the A-G radar features to complete, it is nice to see many others top of the list that interest.

And this query was nice to be done, and I hope those who voted something else top but didn't get there to have patience so they see soon as well their wanted things.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Same with the Harrier. Razbam clames it's finished but the MGRS/UTM isnt implemented in the INS and, from what I read about Harriers in Afghanistan, it should be.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just remembered the TXDSG button on the SA page. Considering it would transmit the designated target (a2g?), I was wondering if this is a future feature ?

Is this something thats missing on the roadmap ?

*edit: Ignore,found it: "Flight member TGT ground target SA page symbol missing"

NYKoDb4.png

Edited by [de].Impact

image.png

One additional statement on development of complex projects. I had the chance to fly the Hornet before leaving the Navy back in 89... I had been an A-7E pilot in the fleet in my first assignment and an A-4/F-5 adversary pilot in my last assignment... Fortunately I left for a job where I could continue to fly small jets. In this new job I helped install three completely new cockpits in two different jets (T-38 and WB-57). Rarely did I ever fly a feature complete aircraft. Everything I flew, was continually looked at by its community for ways to improve and update it and make it better for its current mission... that includes some very old aircraft (The WB-57 was originally built in the early 50s). Having a feature complete F-18C hornet in DCS is the utopian vision of how things work. For me, I just love having the opportunity to fly this aircraft (even though just a simulator) after deciding to put family first by leaving the Navy for a job with more home time. I was able to fly real world aircraft for 40 years... I left happy. Thanks ED for doing what you do... Keep it up.

Yep, that has been my experience as well. Thanks for your service.

BTW - the A-4 looks like a fun little toy.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Dec 31, 2020 will mark 2.5 years in early access.

So? A-10 took longer (it was 4 years iirc).

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Hey Kate,

Could you please update this post?

Also the last lines mentioning the mission planer and data card is really interesting. How is that progressing? Any significant updates?

Thanks

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Is the first post still accurate in terms of whats WIP and whats finished?

just wondering, its been a few weeks since the survey and the updated Roadmap and the Flight Model was clearly on position one but the WIP Flags are spreaded out and, according to that list, nobody works on the FM.

Not meant to be offending, just curious.

Yes, but they started with the completed A-10A.

Which has nothing to do with the C, not even the exterior model. The A version at that time was a very simplistic FC plane, it even had the simple fight model, you can hardly called it "complete", it was more like 30% of the real plane, I dont think it shares much with the A model in the game.

I love DCS but its like their products will always be in early acces stage.