DCS: F/A-18C Features Roadmap for Early Access

Kate Perederko

• ED Team
21 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

I think the roadmap should be updated, including now what is coming in 2022, as its difficult to think that everything promised for 2021 will make it before the end of year. 

The modern aircraft team has shifted to the viper and progress on the hornet is very very slow now, which is normal, and to be fair the hornet is in a great state already. But nonetheless and updated roadmap would be great, just to show transparency. 

Planned, not promised. 

I will speak with the team about the roadmap and when it will be updated, but if the team need more time they need more time, none of this can be rushed. 

thanks

• Like 5

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Planned, not promised. 

I will speak with the team about the roadmap and when it will be updated, but if the team need more time they need more time, none of this can be rushed. 

thanks

With more that three years to finish hornet, players know that development was not be rushed 😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Planned, not promised. 

thanks

This is business, a plan not delivered is the same as a promise, trust me.

And even if the team need more time, which is fine, a word from you guys regarding efforts and stuff will calm the customers seas. We all need to learn something.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Stay safe

Wags updated the Viper roadmap today.  I think we're overdue for an update, especially since we're near the end of 2021 and there are features that were supposed to be done in 2020 that aren't, regardless of "how minor" they may or may not be. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Lordfacker84 said:

hornet has sold enough...now it  can be forgot🤑

Yeah, I wish it wasn't like that, but like I said, business is business.

What I do blame ED is the poor communications skills, makes the entire community anxious and vicious, myself included.

When Kate took control and make a damage assessment things were better, but now we are back to where we were years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stay safe

13 minutes ago, NineLine said:

Oh boy guys... this really isn't needed, nothing has been forgotten or dropped. You guys really need to settle down. Not every patch can be a blockbuster. 

XD You're right, and your post was really spot on and funny. But speaking for myself I wasn't really being toxic about this patch but rather about a general methodology and you know exactly what that is, it doesn't mean it's going to change or that you actually agree, but I wanted to be clear about the toxic comments and where they come from.

Whenever there is a comment like those, you need to listen and investigate why customers feel that way, and what can you do to provide a better customer experience.

Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work.

Stay safe

29 minutes ago, naizarak said:

there's nothing to update because the module has been effectively finished for many months now.  at best we can hope for bug fixes so the "completed" features actually work correctly

Negative. ..still awaiting a DTC.

• Like 3

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

there's nothing to update because the module has been effectively finished for many months now.  at best we can hope for bug fixes so the "completed" features actually work correctly
It's nowhere near finished. Besides the bugs, a bunch of things are either half-implemented or completely missing. It has come a long way and it's certainly playable (to an extent, the radar is kind of a mess, the designation logic is not entirely correct etc etc), but it still requires a lot of fixes, changes and additions.
  • Like 11

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

42 minutes ago, naizarak said:

You don't fly the Hornet, do you? You know is still in early access? How can that be finished ?

8 hours ago, Harker said:
9 hours ago, naizarak said:

It's nowhere near finished. Besides the bugs, a bunch of things are either half-implemented or completely missing. It has come a long way and it's certainly playable (to an extent, the radar is kind of a mess, the designation logic is not entirely correct etc etc), but it still requires a lot of fixes, changes and additions.

it's finished by ed's standards. they shifted to the f-16 months ago, next will be the apache. hornet is done outside of miscellaneous bug fixes or game-wide tech updates

8 hours ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

You don't fly the Hornet, do you? You know is still in early access? How can that be finished ?

my mistake, i forgot about the magical early access label

6 minutes ago, naizarak said:

it's finished by ed's standards. they shifted to the f-16 months ago, next will be the apache. hornet is done outside of miscellaneous bug fixes or game-wide tech updates

my mistake, i forgot about the magical early access label

No, the hornet is not done. There are a lot of things not implemented yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Stay safe

21 hours ago, hein22 said:

No, the hornet is not done. There are a lot of things not implemented yet.

What makes you think they will implement them? Bignewy very often clearly emphasizes that the Roadmap is just plan. They can decide at any time to leave it as it is and stop all development regarding new features and still would be legally in the clear. Considering that we don't have any kind of updates, answers or any reaction about a plethora of missing features, it's safe to assume that the Hornet is in maintance mode. It has made the vast majority of the profit it is ever expected to make in its life cycle so spending more resources on further functions is likely not deemed to be cost effective.

Bugfixes and general maintenance can be expected until it leaves EA for sure but I don't expect any new features at this point outside of ACLS. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WobblyFlops said:

What makes you think they will implement them? Bignewy very often clearly emphasizes that the Roadmap is just plan. They can decide at any time to leave it as it is and stop all development regarding new features and still would be legally in the clear. Considering that we don't have any kind of updates, answers or any reaction about a plethora of missing features, it's safe to assume that the Hornet is in maintance mode. It has made the vast majority of the profit it is ever expected to make in its life cycle so spending more resources on further functions is likely not deemed to be cost effective.

Bugfixes and general maintenance can be expected until it leaves EA for sure but I don't expect any new features at this point outside of ACLS. 

Nothing makes me think that, nor did I say I did. But... I payed for something that was said to be completed and I expect it to be, period. You don't like it? Don't agree? I couldn't care less. At the very least I expect the already implemented things to work correctly without the number of bugs that we no longer can count without a scientific calculator.

• Like 3

Stay safe

• ED Team
On 11/18/2021 at 8:12 PM, Harker said:
On 11/18/2021 at 7:30 PM, naizarak said:

We have some items to tune but it is not a "mess"

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This wasn't a dig at the team, merely some criticism (which could've been worded better, perhaps). I was referring to the radar, not the entire module.

The radar has been plagued by major, known bugs for a very long time now, namely the trackfile memory issue and the designation drifting problem, which restrict its usability unless you rely on workarounds. The radar has been unreliable for a long while now.

Plus, it seems that it's modeled more after the older APG-65, than the APG-73 RUG2, which is what we should have, one example being EXP3 limited to 30 NM and just being another zoom level, instead of working as medium resolution SAR

Again, it's "OK" as a radar, if you don't consider these major bugs, but it's also not working like the radar we should have. I saw the latest Mini-update, which mentions that further tweaking will take place, so I'm hoping that we'll eventually get the radar we're supposed to have.
  • Like 7

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

6 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

On top of what Harker said, the simple fact of the radar being unusable with the default AMRAAM profile selected says it all. I.e your trackfiles are deleted after four seconds of not being scanned. This is incorrect, this has been proven and reported for a long time. (brick timeout affecting trackfile issue)

I recently watched a 2003 Charlie Hornet cruise video, and just from that I could point out 20+ inaccuracies of even some common things. From buddy guiding SLAM-ERs to HARM EOM to FLIR symbology, when the simulated aircraft has systems that behave nothing like it should then yes, it is a mess.

Again, this is not a dig at the team, but it feel like these things are low priority as ED assumes the majority of people wouldn't notice. The Hornet is a great DCS module, IMO the best capability wise, and that contributes to the communities ignorance in regards to it's current state.

This comes back to Wag's post today. "When development resources allow" So what's going to be the priority while the Hornet remains broken? MSI, RADAR, ATFLIR "tuning" it's not that there's minor tweaks required, but rather that there are many major bugs with these systems that should be fixed before out of EA. So what if I don't get HSI slew before release? I want my radar to be fixed first.

I literally just ended a flight in the Hornet and in that hour or so I encountered some 10 bugs. I've learned to live with it for now, but it is really frustrating. On the flip side, a lot of the deep systems such as the engines, fuel, MCs, and FCS are done exceptionally well. In that same flight I was hit by AAA. As a result my HUD and some DDI symbology froze. I deducted that his was a mission computer failure so I forced MC 1 off and the system fell back on MC 2. With that most of my functionality was restored and I was able nurse her to a nearby base. 

Edited by Hulkbust44
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ya have to say pretty tired of seeing these expensive modules not complete before new shiny things come.  Love that viper is finally getting progress but Hornet should of been complete before that.  Management can make excuses all they want but as a paying customer I am more than burned out from the lack of completeness across the board in dcs.  You are dependent upon a customer base that has noThing but years of time and money waiting for completed products and sorry that never comes.  Please finish a module before shuffling the deck of priority to next cash cow.  Reality is very ugly.

• Like 7

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, Enduro14 said:

Ya have to say pretty tired of seeing these expensive modules not complete before new shiny things come.  Love that viper is finally getting progress but Hornet should of been complete before that.  Management can make excuses all they want but as a paying customer I am more than burned out from the lack of completeness across the board in dcs.  You are dependent upon a customer base that has noThing but years of time and money waiting for completed products and sorry that never comes.  Please finish a module before shuffling the deck of priority to next cash cow.  Reality is very ugly.

The reality is without early access and development that can take years you would not get new modules. If you don't like early access, fine, wait for the finished product you will still be supporting us when you decide the time is right for you. 

Guys don't derail this thread, obviously some of you are angry, I would suggest you read Wags post again, he covers the main items only, so not all are listed, and he also mentions development will continue after early access ends. 

Please read the forum rules before posting, especially rule 1.10

thanks 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1