DCS: F/A-18C Features Roadmap for Early Access

Kate Perederko

A really positive change in the dev. cycle and certainly a list that makes sense and will suffice if it can be "pulled off" by the end of this year. 2021 now seems to have a lot less-essential items and probably bug fixes to existing weapon systems, which will always be a thing regardless, given the dynamic and ever changing nature of DCS.

That's strange Rob, I've been editing mine with Notepad++ to change my programs since forever and it hasn't broken IC. What modifications are you doing to your file?

It's not yet, but the trend recently has been that ANY modifications to core files in the ED\DCS\X folders = IC breaking Dusty and if that trend continues it's only a matter of time until the ALE_47.lua file fails to pass integ etc, we've seen it with other items that for a long while passed and now all have to be moved out to saved games\dcs\<folders> .. so it's easier to ask if we aren't getting a Data Cart any time 'soon' due to 'mission planning rework' etc that the files which may at some point break IC that are currently being used be able to be edited/added into users\saved games\dcs\whatever.

Plus lets be honest we shouldn't be editing files in the core game structure, it's bad design and can/does break track files etc etc because the track data expects certain parameters.. but it's off topic.. hopefully we get the mission planner thread soon.

TBH I'd rather they just did an API at the start for reading the data in ala a file simular to the DTC in f4 or the like that way users can come up wtih what ever they want, from web interfaces to 3rd party programs.

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

A/P over targets... sure, if it has an auto jinking mode combined with auto ECM and auto...

Oh wait, I should be thanking Kate in this thread not piling up on her list.

Well . . . your Callsign "Gripes" fit you well!

"Oh wait" . . . . . must be nice to be as smart and funny as you must think you are . . . work on your spelling first before being a smart-ass on someone post. Your comment waste people's time!

i7-7700K 4.20Ghz | GeForce GTX 1080Ti DUKE | ASUS Maximus IX Hero Z270 | Samsung 960 | Corsair CPU Cooler | G.SKILL 32GB | Oculus VR Rift | Saitek PRO Pedals & TM HOTAS Warthog Throttle & Joystick |

Well . . . your Callsign "Gripes" fit you well!

"Oh wait" . . . . . must be nice to be as smart and funny as you must think you are . . . work on your spelling first before being a smart-ass on someone post. Your comment waste people's time!

:D me? smart? nah, touchy aren't you

Now this is a strategy to get behind.

Shows that ED is listening and willing to adjust based on collected feedback that is not based on whining or "gimme gimme" entitlement, but actual representative data collected.

Kudos to ED and everyone involved in the process.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Now this is a strategy to get behind.

Shows that ED is listening and willing to adjust based on collected feedback that is not based on whining or "gimme gimme" entitlement, but actual representative data collected.

Kudos to ED and everyone involved in the process.

One of the salient point I got from this whole thing.

ED listened and made adjustments.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I hope it gave you the transparency that was required and the list of features that should be expected. Moreover, with the release of the features, the community can see how we progress and will we meet the goals.

In that case can you please breakdown the order of delivery and any dependencies (because I am assuming it is not serial) and put this on a webpage as a proper backlog/roadmap with a simple indication of status:

Not yet started

Work in progress

Delivered

So we can Assess if you are on track or falling behind to better help conversations on delivery earlier than later.

Many of us have been saying for many many months/years that ED continuously overestimates capacity to deliver, so I for one would like to see if you are on track or already falling behind throughout 2020, so we don’t have to wait until December 15th to have another conversation about lack of progress to plan, otherwise I maintain this is just ‘another’ list and nothing has really changed.

By doing this you will help to demonstrate improved transparency as well as (assuming you do do manage to hit these goals) an ability to estimate work effort And then deliver to it which will improve confidence in ED in the future.

Thanks.

In that case can you please breakdown the order of delivery and any dependencies (because I am assuming it is not serial) and put this on a webpage as a proper backlog/roadmap with a simple indication of status:

Not yet started

Work in progress

Delivered

So we can Assess if you are on track or falling behind to better help conversations on delivery earlier than later.

Many of us have been saying for many many months/years that ED continuously overestimates capacity to deliver, so I for one would like to see if you are on track or already falling behind throughout 2020, so we don’t have to wait until December 15th to have another conversation about lack of progress to plan, otherwise I maintain this is just ‘another’ list and nothing has really changed.

By doing this you will help to demonstrate improved transparency as well as (assuming you do do manage to hit these goals) an ability to estimate work effort And then deliver to it which will improve confidence in ED in the future.

Thanks.

Totally agree. I asked for this and was told we'd get it. *drums fingers*

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4290129&postcount=489

Kate,

In an effort to assist customers (particularly new ones) could I suggest that a comprehensive list of features (complete and in development) for each module appear on their respective product page on your website, along with their development status? I present an example below. It would be informative, and provide an obvious place to look for information, instead of trawling through the forums. If (very rough) time scales could also be included, all the better.

Thanks for continuing to read through this thread.

Sensors:

A/A radar with RWS, STT, and ACM modes (complete)

Weapons:

Mk-82 series (complete)

Mk-83 series (complete)

Mk-84 series (complete)

CBU-99 and Mk-20 Cluster Bombs (complete)

BDU-33 Training Bomb (complete)

BDU-45 Training Bomb (complete)

2.75 inch rockets (complete)

5 inch rockets (complete)

20mm cannon (complete)

AIM-9L/M and CATM Sidewinder (complete)

AIM-7F/M Sparrow (complete)

Following the early access release, we plan to include many more sensors, weapons, and decoys for the final product. Please note that this list is also subject to change:

Sensors:

A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL (WIP)

A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA (no)

AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod (WIP)

Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS) (mostly complete?)

Link-16 (mostly complete?)

AWW-13 Datalink Pod (mostly complete?)

NVGs (complete)

Weapons:

AGM-88C HARM (WIP)

AGM-45A/B Shrike (no)

AGM-84D Block 1C Harpoon (mostly complete?)

AGM-84E SLAM (no)

AGM-84H/K SLAM-ER (no)

AGM-65E Maverick (complete)

AGM-65F Maverick (complete)

AGM-154A JSOW (complete)

AGM-154C JSOW (complete)

Walleye I ER/DL

Walleye II ER/DL (complete)

GBU-10 Paveway II (complete)

GBU-12 Paveway II (complete)

GBU-16 Paveway II (complete)

GBU-24B/B Paveway III (no)

GBU-38 JDAM (complete, subject to change)

GBU-31 JDAM (complete, subject to change)

GBU-32 JDAM (complete, subject to change)

AIM-9X Sidewinder (complete)

AIM-7P Sparrow (complete)

AIM-120B/C AMRAAM (complete)

Mk-40 Destructor Sea Mine (no)

Mk-63 Quickstrike Sea Mine (no)

Mk-77 Fire Bomb (no)

Decoys:

ADM-141 TALD (no)

GEN-X (no)

Yes, you are right. Should be done for every project. We'll do! Thank you.

Edited by Flamin_Squirrel

Will this include damage modelling or at least the effect of damage on the FM and FCS?

Damage modelling and especially FCS damage / FCS fallback is not even on the list. [...]

Yes, the flight model update includes FCS warnings and damage model update.

Ok. Thank you very much for the answer!

Please don't forget to have a look at FCS reversion modes!

Thanks for keeping us all in the loop, Kate. I'm loving the Hornet, and looking forward to the on going development. :thumbup:

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

• ED Team
It's not related to Hornet only. This bug will be taken into consideration for development during summer time. However, I cannot say that we will definitely fix it this summer. We will have a special session to review bugs for DCS Core and work with the priorities.

The bug was fixed with yesterday's Open Beta version.

One additional statement on development of complex projects. I had the chance to fly the Hornet before leaving the Navy back in 89... I had been an A-7E pilot in the fleet in my first assignment and an A-4/F-5 adversary pilot in my last assignment... Fortunately I left for a job where I could continue to fly small jets. In this new job I helped install three completely new cockpits in two different jets (T-38 and WB-57). Rarely did I ever fly a feature complete aircraft. Everything I flew, was continually looked at by its community for ways to improve and update it and make it better for its current mission... that includes some very old aircraft (The WB-57 was originally built in the early 50s). Having a feature complete F-18C hornet in DCS is the utopian vision of how things work. For me, I just love having the opportunity to fly this aircraft (even though just a simulator) after deciding to put family first by leaving the Navy for a job with more home time. I was able to fly real world aircraft for 40 years... I left happy. Thanks ED for doing what you do... Keep it up.

One additional statement on development of complex projects. I had the chance to fly the Hornet before leaving the Navy back in 89... I had been an A-7E pilot in the fleet in my first assignment and an A-4/F-5 adversary pilot in my last assignment... Fortunately I left for a job where I could continue to fly small jets. In this new job I helped install three completely new cockpits in two different jets (T-38 and WB-57). Rarely did I ever fly a feature complete aircraft. Everything I flew, was continually looked at by its community for ways to improve and update it and make it better for its current mission... that includes some very old aircraft (The WB-57 was originally built in the early 50s). Having a feature complete F-18C hornet in DCS is the utopian vision of how things work. For me, I just love having the opportunity to fly this aircraft (even though just a simulator) after deciding to put family first by leaving the Navy for a job with more home time. I was able to fly real world aircraft for 40 years... I left happy. Thanks ED for doing what you do... Keep it up.

I agree, and I don't care about features rather than the 375 bugs (Kate gave that number) that the Hornet has. Not to mention the hundredths of bugs the DCS core has had for ages.

Stay safe

I agree, and I don't care about features rather than the 375 bugs (Kate gave that number) that the Hornet has. Not to mention the hundredths of bugs the DCS core has had for ages.

You would be surprised how many bugs real aircraft have, with the difference that these include hardware deficiencies, that are indirectly accounting for additional software bugs in game where even the hardware is coded. So nothing unusual here and probably more realistic than a bug free simulation of an aircraft that is buggy in reality. At the ende of the day you can still operate the aircraft, can't you?

You would be surprised how many bugs real aircraft have, with the difference that these include hardware deficiencies, that are indirectly accounting for additional software bugs in game where even the hardware is coded. So nothing unusual here and probably more realistic than a bug free simulation of an aircraft that is buggy in reality. At the ende of the day you can still operate the aircraft, can't you?

I'm not surprised, I've seen them. But I don't agree, xd. The type of bugs that military aircraft have has nothing to do with the type we see in dcs. Two different animals. You're confusing real life software errors and hardware limitations with endless breaking bugs that if a real equipment had would never be approved for operations. EDIT: For example, the bug that makes you not see the BRA in radar page if you have an L&S active it's something you might see in a real hornet with a software bug, but the one that makes the enemy see a launch warning when you fire an amraam in TWS is something you will never see IRL, just never. If it appeared, it would not make it to an airplane's pylon. But hey, let's just leave this here, otherwise this will turn into a nasty offtopic posts removed by eagle dynamics.

Edited by hein22

Stay safe

Do you plan on updating this, too?

*- More vapor effects: Sonic boom vapor cone, vapor trailing etc (Waggs promised it would be implemented some time ago)

*- Cockpit: textures of the dome ejection cylinders, 3d cables cut, correct internal lighting etc

*- External model: HMCS viewfinder is mounted on the dome glass at certain angles

all this information and more is in the forums and I think it's important for hornet customers

Cockpit art Errors

Thanks!

Edited by Muscat

Sin-ttulo-3-zpskg9bm6js.png

Coming later 2021 we plan to add:

• New and updated HOTAS functions

will this be an A-10C treatment? ie. not just toggle switches

Gear

TM Warthog | TM MFD | Buddyfox UFC | Logitech G Pro Flight Rudder | TrackIr 5 | Oculus CV1 | Voiceattack+VAICOM | Tacview | Comatflite | too many modules

Having people like you in this community is great. You are able to lay down the facts and show people who are constantly complaining that they should have a 100% perfect gaming experience is foolish and plain stupid. No game ever produced is perfect. No plane, train or car is perfect and bug free. I have some flying experience, but not much in real life. If most of these people who are complaining about the modules not being perfect actually went out and flew for real, they would come back to the sim and think it is leaps and bounds easier and stop complaining. This sim, as good as it is, still will not prepare you for the real world and how the plane acts and feels in the air. Flying around in DCS feels to me like I am in a vacuum most of the time. Stable air and super predictable. In real life the plane gets battered and bounced around one second then the next it feels nice and smooth. Then bang you hit and updraft or down draft, wind sheer etc. landing a plane in real life takes a lot more practice and concentration then in this sim for sure. Also your life is actually in real danger. No reset buttons kids. To illustrate this point, has anyone ever been on a commercial flight with zero turbulence? You also would not know the issues that came up during the flight in the pit the pilots had to deal with and the failures they had that were non-critical. If you did you would likely never get back on one again. No one wants to know how the hotdogs are made.

Thank you Bonz for your insight and service. You sound like you would be an interesting person to talk to.:thumbup:

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

will this be an A-10C treatment? ie. not just toggle switches

I'd like to know that as well: at the moment the lack of consistency in 2-position and 3-position switch support is quite annoying:

- in the F-16 the master arm switch works correctly for WH Throttle 2-position switches, while in the F-18 it doesn't;

- in the F-16 the refuel door switch doesn't work correctly for WH Throttle 2-position switches, while in the F-18 it does (for the probe).

I don't really get why that couldn't be fixed this year...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset