Wild Weasels

upyr1

Don't wish... just do it...

You can already Weasel in the F/A-18C. Just load some HARMS and Mav's and you're good to go :thumbup:

Hopefully we'll see HARMS added to the Viper loadout aswell soon

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Wild Weasels are not a thing.

It is an aircraft configured as a Radar hunting one, with Anti-Radar missiles.

I think it is already possible in DCS with a few aircrafts.

Rig - I7-9700K/GIGABYTE Z390D/RTX-2080 SUPER/32-GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RAM/1-TB SSD

Mods - A10C / F18C / AV8B / Mig21 / Su33 / SC / F14B

Traditionally you'd think of the F-16CJ with HTS in two or fourships.

before that it was F-4s iirc.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

Don't wish... just do it...

You can already Weasel in the F/A-18C. Just load some HARMS and Mav's and you're good to go :thumbup:

Hopefully we'll see HARMS added to the Viper loadout aswell soon

It's not that simple, the F/A-18 can not get the range of a radar, a Wild Weasel has onboard systems dedicated to pinpointing a radar and targeting it.

Wild Weasels are not a thing.

It is an aircraft configured as a Radar hunting one, with Anti-Radar missiles.

I think it is already possible in DCS with a few aircrafts.

I'm sorry but wild weasels are a thing. They are not simply fighters armed with Anti-radar missiles. Let's took at this mixed ship formation, an F-16C, and an F-4G at the time this photo was taken only the F-4G was a wild weasel.

The F-4G had equipment operated by an EWO that would allow them to pinpoint a radar's range and barring allowing them to accurately launch an ARM at it. The F-16C could only get the barring but not the range,

F-4G_480th_TFS_with_F-16C_52nd_TFW_in_flight_1989.JPEG

Looking at the F-18's launch their arms it is clear they are not wild weasels as there are times when they will fall short despite the fact the RADARs don't shut down

a couple of articles

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/0791weasels/#:~:text=On%20January%2017%2C%20the%20Air,up%20Wild%20Weasel%20on%20hand.

https://www.airforcemag.com/article/0710weasels/

the Harrier can jam some of the missiles and was used for Wild weasel missions. I have flown up against several different SAM systems in game with the ECM pod and it made a tremendous difference just as a single ship. with a few others it would make SAM site hunting very effective.

According to Wikipedia (and as we all know, Wiki's always right:music_whistling:), "Wild Weaseling", and I quote here: is just a name given by the USAF, to an aircraft, of any type, equipped with anti-radiation missiles and tasked with the Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses

But I'm happy to be corrected :)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Semantics aside, you want the F-16 to get along with its development. Full stop.

None of the 'classic' Wild Weasel planes had the ability to 'get range and pinpoint radar systems' in the manner the F-16 with HTS can. The original Wild Weasel missions hardly even had ARMs. Since you said that would be a decisive part, yea, there you go: F-16C.

According to Wikipedia (and as we all know, Wiki's always right:music_whistling:), "Wild Weaseling", and I quote here: is just a name given by the USAF, to an aircraft, of any type, equipped with anti-radiation missiles and tasked with the Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses

Judging from what I have learned from speaking with a former EWO and reading the Air Force magazine on the subject Wikipedia is wrong on at least the historic use of the term. For example this passage from the Air Force Magazine's article about Wild Weasels.

In November, the first Weasels reported to the 388th Tactical Fighter Wing at Korat AB, Thailand, where they teamed up with F-105D fighter-bombers for Iron Hand missions, and began flying missions in December.

Then if you get the book The Great Muckrock and Rosie By Ross C. Detwiler page 78 the Pat Maiorca he mentions is my dad. He was an EWO with the 41st TEWs which flew EB-66s but they part of the 355th Tactical Fighter Wing which also flew Thuds. So that is why I'm constantly requesting improved EW modeling, I want the EB-66 and F-105G.

Semantics aside, you want the F-16 to get along with its development. Full stop.

None of the 'classic' Wild Weasel planes had the ability to 'get range and pinpoint radar systems' in the manner the F-16 with HTS can. The original Wild Weasel missions hardly even had ARMs. Since you said that would be a decisive part, yea, there you go: F-16C.

The F-16 will work for modern scenarios but they won't work for historical scenarios

The F-16 will work for modern scenarios but they won't work for historical scenarios

Isn't it a shame that ED picked the least featured F-16C? No Aim7 nor Lantirn and all. On the other hand, I know I am not alone here, I'm not one of thes fanboys mimimi purple haired whinny emu big ugly fat cockblocker girl with military leather boots "realism" freak and wouldn't mind getting those goodies to simulate other periods.

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Wild Weasel: Drop your CBUs on a SAM-Site or Manpad-(Cluster) you visually scouted - so basically, let them shoot on you to shoot back ;) That's about it.

I recommend (I believe that's the one mentioning Wild Weasel how it was flown without that HARM stuff) "Dan Hampton: Viper Pilot" to read:thumbup:

Exactly .... and using some simple scripts like MBOTs ARM defense script you can fly nice MP missions with suppression or destruction of enemy air defenses in WILD WEASEL style.

We have done it several times in Multiplayer sessions :

One flies in and stimulates the threat and gets it to shoot at him while the others watch for the position of the SAM launch ....

TWO suppresses the threat by shooting a HARM (need a script like the ARM defense script or use SKYET IADS script to have radars that react on HARMs by shutting down) and

THREE kills the Radar or Site with MAVs or a CBU.

It's great fun and quite satisfactory if you do it in MP in a nice coordinated manner.

No, that's incorrect. Almost any fighter can do SEAD/DEAD. But that doesn't make them a "Wild Weasel".

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 3 years later...
On 6/4/2020 at 4:51 AM, sirrah said:

But I'm happy to be corrected 🙂

No, that's not correct. What makes a Wild Weasel a Wild Weasel isn't the weapons but the avionics. They are specialized aircraft that have avionics that enable them to get the range on an enemy radar. 

12 hours ago, upyr1 said:

No, that's not correct. What makes a Wild Weasel a Wild Weasel isn't the weapons but the avionics. They are specialized aircraft that have avionics that enable them to get the range on an enemy radar. 

Tactics also play a part. After all, destroying the SAM/AAA site is one thing... but finding it is another. And the best way to find them, is to get them to shoot at something. Today that part of the mission can be accomplished with drones (because who cares if a Drone doesn't come home, they don't have mothers), but within the realms of DCS, someone's drawin' the short straw and making the Radar light up.

10 hours ago, Tank50us said:

but within the realms of DCS, someone's drawin' the short straw and making the Radar light up

TALD

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria