[REPORTED] Canopy remains open while ejecting.

Quekel

If the canopy does not separate then the ejection seat should not fire at all. The seat leaving is dependent on canopy physical separation. I'm not familiar with how the F-16 canopy jettison system is designed and what will happen if a canopy jettison (either by itself or as part of the seat ejection) is attempted with it partially or fully open.

Could not find if this is reported allready.

If you have the canopy open on the ground and eject, the canopy does not eject.

I think the easiest fix for that in DCS would be for the pilot to die of this is attempted.

In RL there are hundreds of variables and I do not think anybody has ever tried, not AFAIK. The rockets on the canopy could burn the pilot, The canopy may not separate properly. The canopy may travel in weird way if jettison like that. The seat should not fire until the canopy has travel far way enough to pull the lanyard that it attach to it, activating the seat.

Here you can see how it works

Note the lanyard on the canopy as it separated form the cockpit

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

"When initiated, hot gas travels to the sequence valves and fires DTA (detonation transfer assembly) initiators. The DTA initiators fire the ECRLs (emergency canopy release line) which expand at each of the canopy latch fittings and break the frangible latch lever retainer bolts. This action detaches the latch retainers and allows the latch levers to pivot out of the path of the canopy hooks. Simultaneously, the DTAs fire the CARB (canopy actuator release bolt) and then the canopy remover rockets. As the rockets rotate the canopy 41 degrees, the canopy hinges are disengaged and the canopy is propelled from the aircraft."

Sounds like connections are severed fore and aft and rockets fire which rotate the "base plate" through some range of motion until the "hooks" allow the canopy to disengage the hooks and the rockets continue to pull the item away.

From video of the sequence on a B model it looks like the rockets are on the front corners which might be unpleasant with an open canopy but otherwise my guess is that the jettison proceeds normally. The release angle mechanism is probably on the hinges so being open means less angle needed and the rockets probably carry the item farther away if anything.

• ED Team
I think the easiest fix for that in DCS would be for the pilot to die of this is attempted.

In RL there are hundreds of variables and I do not think anybody has ever tried, not AFAIK. The rockets on the canopy could burn the pilot, The canopy may not separate properly. The canopy may travel in weird way if jettison like that. The seat should not fire until the canopy has travel far way enough to pull the lanyard that it attach to it, activating the seat.

Here you can see how it works

Note the lanyard on the canopy as it separated form the cockpit

Would you say the canopy would still fire when open though? Even if you really couldn't trust it would be a clean ejection?

On the Hornet you can fire off the open canopy then eject.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Would you say the canopy would still fire when open though? Even if you really couldn't trust it would be a clean ejection?

On the Hornet you can fire off the open canopy then eject.

Yes the canopy should fire. Not sure if the canopy would travel upward or more back and the pilot could suffer burns from the rockets. On average, on the ground at zero speed, the canopy tends to eject up, aft and to the left. The seat should not fire until the canopy is far away enough to pull the lanyards activating the seat. It works the same on both single seat and two-seaters.

This is a B model, but note how it flip up aft and to the left.

Is truly amazing all the things that happens in less than a second.

eY9KW0nxRSg

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..