A/G Radar EXP Function

TMS up

Expand the AG radar view; turning it from a blobby mess, of everything in front of you, into a blobby mess of a smaller area in front of you.

Well, you will find out where is the runway on the airport, is there a big bridge over the river or is there a big train depot next to town or where is the large commercial harbor for tankers.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yea, unfortunately at the moment the AG Radar MAP mode is as useful as an ultrasound picture of a 10-week old baby. Can't see s*it.

You can compare the ground radar image to your Map on the AMPCD with an SA page up that shows you the location of a SAM site, you can use that to designate a general area then slew your TGP and find the SAM, and destroy it. Quite useful imo.

It's useful to have a rough idea of landmarks to then queue the TGP or other sensors. It's perfectly usable for that.

Just like a moving map is.

You set the cursor on the landmark on the map and sleeve sensors to it. Now you are inside couple hundred meters ball park from the target.

Or you input the target coordinates to data cartridge in mission planning phase and you just use that waypoint to find targets.

Or you input the coordinates of the target that you hear over radio and again you are there.

Or like in the typical DCS multiplayer servers, clear daytime and you just put the velocity vector on target and off you go.

A-G radar will be a nice fancy toy to play around, but does it become a tool that people consider to be using often is another question. As if real pilots experiences are to understand, it is those things that you train and then leave there, but not all pilots are dedicated ground attackers in many countries, so pilots experiences can vary.

I spent today good couple hours flying with the new A-G MAP mode and TPOD on Caucasus and NTTR maps.

On Caucasus the radar is OK to find the bigger cities with larger buildings when you are at lower altitude. A huge factory buildings are fairly easy to find when you know where to look for.

A long line of steel bridges creates nice good line to detect, but it is little challenging to actually target one or even separate it from a powerline that goes near it parallel. But if you know what you are looking for, then it is possible to find a specific bridge from seven of them, when you are at 5 nm scanning mode.

Big rivers is easy to find, and their islands and huge long bridges that cross over of them. So nothing unexpected.

On the mountain area, the radar is nearly useless. Not possible to really know what you are looking for. So just flying past the hilltops is more of a quessing game that what hill top is which echo and what is blocking what.

At the coast it becomes very challenging. You can find the large cities and get the targeting for wanted side of the city, but nothing is such that would give a weapons grade solution.

On the NTTR map the situation is better. On perfectly flat desert a larger compound can be spotted from 10-20 nm when flying at good angle and low altitude. If not knowing it is there, it is easy to miss. Yet the precision to get the lock on it will be around 1 km from it.

[ATTACH]238482[/ATTACH]

Once found a ZSU-23-4 on the desert, mainly by just pure luck really. At 5 nmi scanning scale and at about 1.5-2 nmi distance. At some sweeps it just was very slight echo that was possible to be found only because I saw it front of me that it is sitting there. Visually acquired target at about 8 km range, with MAP radar from about 3 km. But from multiple tryouts other similar kinds were just not posible to be spotted, especially if they were moved closer to other details like hills.

Large terrain details like airbases are well visible from 20-30 nmi range, again it is easy to oversee them if not interested to check it out. And on flat good terrain at 20 nmi scale it is possible to find at good angle and altitude few buildings group, again need to know that it is such as there is no other detail at all (like in Caucasus map). Large clear details like round farm lands caught an eye by just dark blobs on scope.

On the NTTR map the MAP radar allows nice navigation from one mountain ridge to another or from valley to another. But it is not so much for target searching if you dont know already where to look.

Once the EXP1-3 modes comes available, there is better use to check out those echoes and check is there what kind formation of buildings. And likely get the weapon grade solution for good detailed targets like bridges heads, train depots, large factory buildings and even individual power grid structures.

The EXP modes becomes a must feature to really get more details from the target area. But for otherwise I will skip the MAP mode and stick to the moving map, as it gives far better understanding that where I am and where I am heading and what is around.

If it just would be as easy to designate targets with it as it is on A-10C TAD and get the realistic map data tiles, it would be easiest way to find areas.

And while waiting EXP modes, I would like to see the JHMCS A-G designation capability appear before them. As in optimal visibility scenarios it is just easier to look out as ground targets are visible for over ten kilometres and if you know the location by rough manner, it is easier to get TPOD slaved to general area for target searching by just using VVI or JHMCS than starting to operate the A-G radar.

The A-G radar is funny feature, but at this moment it still looks like it scans through the trees. So trees are not blocking its visibility.

I spent today good couple hours flying with the new A-G MAP mode and TPOD on Caucasus and NTTR maps.

On Caucasus the radar is OK to find the bigger cities with larger buildings when you are at lower altitude. A huge factory buildings are fairly easy to find when you know where to look for.

A long line of steel bridges creates nice good line to detect, but it is little challenging to actually target one or even separate it from a powerline that goes near it parallel. But if you know what you are looking for, then it is possible to find a specific bridge from seven of them, when you are at 5 nm scanning mode.

Big rivers is easy to find, and their islands and huge long bridges that cross over of them. So nothing unexpected.

On the mountain area, the radar is nearly useless. Not possible to really know what you are looking for. So just flying past the hilltops is more of a quessing game that what hill top is which echo and what is blocking what.

At the coast it becomes very challenging. You can find the large cities and get the targeting for wanted side of the city, but nothing is such that would give a weapons grade solution.

On the NTTR map the situation is better. On perfectly flat desert a larger compound can be spotted from 10-20 nm when flying at good angle and low altitude. If not knowing it is there, it is easy to miss. Yet the precision to get the lock on it will be around 1 km from it.

[ATTACH]238482[/ATTACH]

Once found a ZSU-23-4 on the desert, mainly by just pure luck really. At 5 nmi scanning scale and at about 1.5-2 nmi distance. At some sweeps it just was very slight echo that was possible to be found only because I saw it front of me that it is sitting there. Visually acquired target at about 8 km range, with MAP radar from about 3 km. But from multiple tryouts other similar kinds were just not posible to be spotted, especially if they were moved closer to other details like hills.

Large terrain details like airbases are well visible from 20-30 nmi range, again it is easy to oversee them if not interested to check it out. And on flat good terrain at 20 nmi scale it is possible to find at good angle and altitude few buildings group, again need to know that it is such as there is no other detail at all (like in Caucasus map). Large clear details like round farm lands caught an eye by just dark blobs on scope.

On the NTTR map the MAP radar allows nice navigation from one mountain ridge to another or from valley to another. But it is not so much for target searching if you dont know already where to look.

Once the EXP1-3 modes comes available, there is better use to check out those echoes and check is there what kind formation of buildings. And likely get the weapon grade solution for good detailed targets like bridges heads, train depots, large factory buildings and even individual power grid structures.

The EXP modes becomes a must feature to really get more details from the target area. But for otherwise I will skip the MAP mode and stick to the moving map, as it gives far better understanding that where I am and where I am heading and what is around.

If it just would be as easy to designate targets with it as it is on A-10C TAD and get the realistic map data tiles, it would be easiest way to find areas.

And while waiting EXP modes, I would like to see the JHMCS A-G designation capability appear before them. As in optimal visibility scenarios it is just easier to look out as ground targets are visible for over ten kilometres and if you know the location by rough manner, it is easier to get TPOD slaved to general area for target searching by just using VVI or JHMCS than starting to operate the A-G radar.

The A-G radar is funny feature, but at this moment it still looks like it scans through the trees. So trees are not blocking its visibility.

Answers a lot of my questions...good write up:book:

Yea, unfortunately at the moment the AG Radar MAP mode is as useful as an ultrasound picture of a 10-week old baby. Can't see s*it.

hahahhhhhha:megalol::megalol::megalol::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

what do they do?

provide a higher fidelity of detail.

basic map mode only uses Real beam mapping method. Its very low fidelity, and is particularly extra blurry at the outer edges of the map page ( regardless of distance)

EXP 1 uses Doppler beam Sharpening techniques and zooms into a "sector"

IN this mode besides the zoom, the fidelity of map is improved by a ratio of 19:1 with a angular width of 45 degrees

EXP 2 still used DBS but zooms in and maps a smaller era "patch"

This mode improved map fidelity from a ratio of 67:1 with and angular width of 12.6 degrees

https://www.radartutorial.eu/20.airborne/ab05.en.html

EXP3 ( medium grade SAR) will zoom in a very portion but utilize a different but also more sophisticated synthetic aperture processing techniques . This will provide the highest fidelity of detail although for this specific radar, for the hornet certain objects like tanks are still going to be small enough that they will still be puny blobs.

Instead of covering a fixed angular width like EXP1 and EXP2 , in EXP 3 The area covered is fixed range perimeter area of a 1.2NM x 1.2NM square, and can only be utilized at a maximum distance of 30 NM. unlike DBS SAR method retains constant area resolution regardless of range.. the actual resolution within that 1.2 x 1.2 NM box will depend whether we have APG73 PHase 1 or Phase 2.

https://www.radartutorial.eu/20.airborne/ab07.en.html

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD