Relocation to Europe in WWII - how?

Razor18

EyLF0d4.jpg

AeIrgpv.jpg

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

1) Combat range is not ferry range

2) There are those two handy island between the USA and Europe called "Greenland" and "Iceland"

I'm not sure how many US aeroplanes were ferried in that way. To the best of my knowledge, most were brought across on ships to Liverpool (and other ports no doubt) and assembled at various places in the UK.

I live locally to BAE Systems Warton site, where I grew up watching test and development of the EE Lightning, Tornado and EAP/Eurofighter.......also lots of testing such as Nimrod, Harrier, Hawk etc.

During WW2 Warton aerodrome was called BAD2 (Base Air Depot 2)....after the war it was purchased by English Electric for assembling and test flying the Canberra bomber - there are numerous businesses in the area that are located in what were originally American military buildings. There is one section near the marsh where you can see lots of concrete bases were huts once stood, and there is still an indentation in the ground where the American airmen walked to the depot each day. We are quite proud and respectful of our American link here.

Until quite recently, American ex-servicemen used to be flown over for an annual remembrance service.....but obviously as time goes on there are less and less left, sadly, so this no longer occurs. Sadly a B24 crashed into a local school in 1944 killing many people including lots of young children. The Americans purchased some local land and installed a beautiful memorial which we visit from time to time and it's still kept in pristine condition. The veterans mentioned above used to visit the memorial when they came over on their annual trip.

BAD2 (Warton) assembled/processed around 15,000 American aircraft during the war.......including:

2,984 B-24 Liberators

4,372 P-51 Mustangs

338 P-47 Thunderbolts

There is a fascinating story of the base crew assembling a P-51 of their own from spare parts they could salvage from anywhere (fittingly called "Spare Parts") - and they used it to fly around the country picking up booze.......those were the days! Great stuff. They also had a base P-47 called El Champo.

Sorry if some found that boring!

Thanks,

Mike

PS: If anyone is interested, there's a great book on the depot by Harry Holmes, ISBN: 0760305773.

Edited by Derby2P
Adding ref

That was a great video I remember watching it a few months back! Pretty awesome how they were able to just field assemble those aircraft in theater.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy