Very poorly visible HUD and HMD.

Padonis

Shouldn't that be normal, though? When sunlight shines on my iPhone screen, computer monitor, or TV, the screen becomes illegible. Or does the military have some super magical screens that block sunlight?

The right DDI look natural to you?

pic.thumb.jpg.ece5ebc7c14aab0aea4a4654d99d72d0.jpg

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

The right DDI look natural to you?

[ATTACH]239028[/ATTACH]

That very weird effect is because the text is not actually displayed on the DDI, but rather on the protective glass (in DCS, not IRL). It's been reported for more than a year now.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Shouldn't that be normal, though? When sunlight shines on my iPhone screen, computer monitor, or TV, the screen becomes illegible. Or does the military have some super magical screens that block sunlight?

Choose the mig29 and try to read something on RWR with or without sunlight.

That very weird effect is because the text is not actually displayed on the DDI, but rather on the protective glass (in DCS, not IRL). It's been reported for more than a year now.

That certainly may be, but I've never seen the effect before the latest update.

Wouldn't be as big of an issue if we could put our hand over the DDI to cover it from the sun, lol. So many times I've reached my hand out in VR and remembered, "Oh yeah, right." :D

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That certainly may be, but I've never seen the effect before the latest update.
I've seen it before, but I also run modded textures for better/more dynamic reflections in the F-18 cockpit. It was a very rare thing to spot though, until this last update.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Concur. The actual effect on the DDI now is very realistic and well simulated. But the text is drawn incorrectly so that makes a strange effect of wash that all of us feel unrealistic and hard to see.

Stay safe

Concur. The actual effect on the DDI now is very realistic and well simulated. But the text is drawn incorrectly so that makes a strange effect of wash that all of us feel unrealistic and hard to see.

Nah, It's not necessarily more realistic in the context of our little sim. In real life, a Hornet pilot isn't out of luck if the sun is glaring on a ddi, he can simply hold out his hand to shadow, or better yet - lean his body over a bit to shade the ddi he's working with. We have no such option, so the brightness has to translate a bit into the artificial realm... which it did just fine before this latest update. I don't know because I never play with the 'show pilot body option,' but does the current pilot body model lean left and right with Trackir head movements? I surely doubt that it does.

Nah, It's not necessarily more realistic in the context of our little sim. In real life, a Hornet pilot isn't out of luck if the sun is glaring on a ddi, he can simply hold out his hand to shadow, or better yet - lean his body over a bit to shade the ddi he's working with. We have no such option, so the brightness has to translate a bit into the artificial realm... which it did just fine before this latest update. I don't know because I never play with the 'show pilot body option,' but does the current pilot body model lean left and right with Trackir head movements? I surely doubt that it does.

You missed the point... It is indeed more realistic, but prevents you from seeing anything because of the incorrectly modeled text. If we had that it would read much better. All you said is true, but has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

Stay safe

You missed the point... It is indeed more realistic, but prevents you from seeing anything because of the incorrectly modeled text. If we had that it would read much better. All you said is true, but has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

What I'm getting at is that, I'm concerned that the text, even if correctly modeled on the DDI screen in the future and not on the glass, will still be too dark when the sun is shining directly on the screen. In other words, I still think we will need a brighter "brightest" setting like we had before to compensate for all I said before, regardless of whether or not they fix the surface that the symbology is displayed on.

What I'm getting at is that, I'm concerned that the text, even if correctly modeled on the DDI screen in the future and not on the glass, will still be too dark when the sun is shining directly on the screen. In other words, I still think we will need a brighter "brightest" setting like we had before to compensate for all I said before, regardless of whether or not they fix the surface that the symbology is displayed on.

Yes, we may very well need that as well. But we would be already standing in a much better position now if we had a correct coding for the screens, and the need to do what you suggest would be much lower.

Stay safe

Bug is said to be fixed by the update as of today. Will see when I get home from work ????

No it's not fixed. Well, the HUD is brighter, but all the other lighting issues are still present. Plus the radar doesn't work on the F-18 now (except bore/ACM), AI aircraft can't be killed, and a few others.

Yep, the lighting is off in this new patch. Everything is too bright and turning down gamma just makes cockpits too dark.

Not to mention the new haze effect.

RCtrl + O may make it brighter. or not. :D

Edited by rayrayblues

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Yep, the lighting is off in this new patch. Everything is too bright and turning down gamma just makes cockpits too dark.

Yea, its like we have stepped back in time, to the initial release of 2.5. Suffered from the same bright haze and barely readable HUD's.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 1 month later...