Poor FPS in VR mode on Channel map

YoYo

I'm having no frame rate issues at all in VR with the channel map, far smoother than Normandy map. All on High settings & Maxed out pre-load radius (P1.5 and Oculus S'Warp switched off to allow > 45fps). I'm getting 60 to 90fps .

For me limiting factor (on any map) comes only in missions with a LOT of units where DDR3 dual channel memory performance is a limiting factor. Graphics card barely ticking over.

The latest Nvidia drivers (446.14) gave a big frame rate boost across the board.

(Specs: Intel i74970k @ 4Ghz/4.4Ghz Turbo, 32Gb DDR3 memory, MSI GTX1080TI Gaming X (11Gb) Oculus Rift CV1)

Another run on the map. No changes over here. Half the framerate then in other maps! Ed i hope you aware of this.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

My CV1 displays black bars to the left and right when I turn my head, because my PC can't render the scene fast enough to fill up the screen.

It's an incredibly beautiful map, and the P-47 is a dream to fly, but the bad performance is quite literally nauseating sadly.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I can confirm that, even with high spec PC, this map performs much lower compared to all other maps with unchanged settings.

In current state, this map appears to be too heavy or unoptimized for the PC to render VR effectively.

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying

The stutter disappears after you've flown around in the map for some time. At least in does in my case...

Strange but I have found the same. Not sure if it is a real thing or I'm just getting used to it.

It seems to be 50% smoother than it was at ground level, by no means smooth, but no stutters or slideshows. Just blurryness when moving the point of view like turning onto the end of the runway.

Settings, everything on high, cockpit shadows low, terrain shadows flat. MSAA off. Anisotropic filtering 16x. Heat blur off. Global illumination off. Chimney smoke 2x.

I think we are seeing a double whammy of problems.

FPS issues as a result of the new map optimisation and fps issues down to the new lighting optimisation. They will collate all the info they need and dial it all in eventually.

You would think they would either launch the map and hold the lighting or the other way round, but perhaps the technology for the lighting and the new map is interlinked in some way and both need to he released in the same time period, much as defered shading and Normandy were both released around the same time.

As for the two, on my rig it is the lighting issues that are having the greatest effect. Normandy is not much different to the channel map when it comes to blurryness on the ground. This happened when 2.56 dropped.

That is why we are on open beta. We are here to cry when they deliberately break things in the short term, for them to get the info they need to fix them in the long term.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Like everyone else, I feel this is a beautiful map that is great on TrackIR but almost unplayable in VR.

Looking forward to the optimisations.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

At the beginning, with for example two planes, on a small airport, it's fine, pleasant, beautiful, fluid. the situation deteriorates fairly quickly, the FPS drops and it becomes unplayable in VR (MotionSickness, it's been a long time since I had not felt it). As if the memory was full. I'm stopping for now, I'm waiting for an update.

Specs : I9 9900K , 32 Go , Nvidia 2080 RTX, VR oculus Rift S

ps : first experience of MotionSickness with DCS ;-)

Edited by Kovacs

This map will work better when Vulkan API launches in a couple weeks because as is in the Explain beta right now, the api loads all shaders initially instead of progressively so while fps will remain similar you loose the stutters.

I would imagine this is at least a little of the thinking behind their approach to this map.

That and making it look fug'n sweet

This map will work better when Vulkan API launches in a couple weeks because as is in the Explain beta right now, the api loads all shaders initially instead of progressively so while fps will remain similar you loose the stutters.

I would imagine this is at least a little of the thinking behind their approach to this map.

That and making it look fug'n sweet

In a couple of weeks... sarcastic mode maybe?

Yep, more like a couple of years!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

two more weeks, come on he has a sense of humor.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Same here in VR.

I am getting about 38 fps around built up areas and cliffs of Dover in my gazelle.

Flying the harrier at 5000 feet seems to make no real difference compared to flying just above the trees..... 38 fps.

I can zip the harrier through downtown Dubai just above the motorways with it rarely dropping below 45fps.

Channel Map looks Superb though.... It will be awesome with high fps.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

guys, this is the CHANNEL map - frametimes both cpu&gpu are OK above the Channel

:doh:

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

guys, this is the CHANNEL map - frametimes both cpu&gpu are OK above the Channel

:doh:

lol

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

No any improvments for Channel map in Today's OB patch, pity:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 3 weeks later...

Poor fps, not just VR

I know there have been several posts on this already, and I know it's EA, but honestly, this map is pretty unusable for me in TrackIR as well as VR when flying over any town, etc.

On a monitor, I run at a frame limited 58fps, and never see it dropping below that on any terrain/module except on this map where I am seeing 30fps over towns and villages.

I really hope this will be sorted out over the coming weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

BN, not sure why you merged my thread here. This is a VR thread and title. My thread was relating to TrackIR poor performance.

Same here. And not with VR. The Channel map stutters the same way the Normandy map used to do. Of course with the same settings, I get in ALL the other maps, including Normandy, solid 60 FPS, no matter time of the day or building density. In the Channel, especially on the coast, Dover, etc... this drops to 30-45 FPS.....

Settings-AC-256.thumb.jpg.7c08f052ea0c6b3b348d12799d6969e9.jpg

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals