[NO BUG JUST QUIET]Inertia Starter Sound Missing

Maverick_85

• ED Team

Well, we checked - the sound is in place and it works.

Check this video plz:

Perhaps you expected to hear the loud and screeching sound of the starter as in P-51. But in P-47, an electric motor helps to spin the starter. And due to more complex gears or due to a more even moment, the sound is really quiet, not very noticeable. We managed to record it in Duxford from a real plane. Therefore, the sound in the simulator is pretty close to the original sound.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Check this video plz:

Perhaps you expected to hear the loud and screeching sound of the starter as in P-51. But in P-47, an electric motor helps to spin the starter. And due to more complex gears or due to a more even moment, the sound is really quiet, not very noticeable. We managed to record it in Duxford from a real plane. Therefore, the sound in the simulator is pretty close to the original sound.

Can confirm, its just exceptionally quiet. If there is any other noise you won't be able to hear it.

Check this video plz:

Oh, thanks for the extra little vid.. now i can hear it.. a spool up sound from trhe starter would be pretty awesome realsitic... :-)

I'd perhaps like to hear it be a little louder, as you can also kinda feel an inertial starter when you're sitting in the aircraft. Even if the volume is spot on from what you can hear within the cockpit, a little more sound for our wanting ears never hurt.

The Oni abides, man✌️

At 2'30" you can clearly listen the flywheel!

Cheers

Jef

As I don't know which one is correct, but with most aircraft today you've got to be quite careful with videos or any examples really. As there are many variations of parts used on most warbirds today. So just because one video has a different sounding starter doesn't mean it was that way, plenty of aircraft use backdated/newer parts or completely different systems as a replacement for the original system all together.

Starters are especially common replacement due to a variety of reasons.

(But I do prefer that starter sound more, I just don't know which is accurate to what it would have had in 1940s)

Well , I slightly increased the starter volume. Please expect in coming updates.

One thing that is missing though:

[...] At 2'30" you can clearly listen the flywheel!

Cheers

Jef

You can hear how the flywheel's rpm increases by its pitch going up and when he starts the engine, it goes down again. I don't hear that in DCS yet, the audio's pitch stays constant all the time. The sound just kicks in and fades away as soon as the engine starts running.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Check this video plz:

- I hate to say it, but listeng to the p47 from Duxford.... He's not wrong this particular plane is very quiet...

I am curious is this plane modified to modern standards or does it use an original starter system from its era?

+1 for louder flywheel please! And while we're at it, is there any chance to make the startups a little bit more prolonged? I've gotten to work on a few radials in my short time as an A&P (R985 and R1830s) and haven't come across one that has started up as easily as the ones in game.

- I hate to say it, but listeng to the p47 from Duxford.... He's not wrong this particular plane is very quiet...

I am curious is this plane modified to modern standards or does it use an original starter system from its era?

That's quite a bad example dude... You picked one that was obviously washed out from the departing aircraft.

+1 for louder flywheel please! And while we're at it, is there any chance to make the startups a little bit more prolonged? I've gotten to work on a few radials in my short time as an A&P (R985 and R1830s) and haven't come across one that has started up as easily as the ones in game.

That's quite a bad example dude... You picked one that was obviously washed out from the departing aircraft.

I've flown with both R985s and R1340s. How quick they start is largely based on how long since they were flown last. With the R1340 specifically it'll start after 3 or less blades if its been flown recently (a few days or even yesterday). And starts very similar to how the P-47 does in DCS. But, on the contrary, if they have been sitting for long, its a much slower and more uneven start as to what you describe.

I would like to see some variety, but for a prepped aircraft (as I am under the impression that they are supposed to be under normal wartime conditions, someone can correct me on that) a clean/fast startup wouldn't be unusual. But likewise, the startup process seems to be pretty identical time after time, a little variety would be nice.

• 2 years later...