DCS Mi-8 is 7 years now, time for an update ?

cosmetic is all that is required with this girl, multicrew also perhaps.

It was done top notch in the beginning and upgraded over years to where this superb module stands now.

I never find anything to moan about with this module... Belsimtek at their very best.

+1. IMO the best chopper currently available in any sim I’ve tried, and though I’d very much like it to get a visual overhaul and multicrew

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Yeah I love this thing. Multicrew would be amazing or even an implementation like 'jester' for the Tomcat. The load master is quite basic and it would be great to have your crew guys calling out height to ground like they do RL on any off airport landing. Also going into combat it would be great for them to call out threats.

I don't think they have it RL but a RWR and CMWS would make it a lot more survivable in high threat environments.

I think that's where the only aircraft I'd prefer to the Hip would be a MH-60 variant that has all the bells and whistles plus perhaps some AGM-114 for when you feel like blowin stuff up!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

It's a very complete and realistic module indeed.

Quite confusing but the Mi-17 is basically the very same Mi-8, but export version. Only Russian operated A/C are designated Mi-8.

The full designation philosophy is quite complex, but saying Mi-17 is an upgraded Mi-8 with tail rotor on the other side is a big simplification. Some Mi-8s ( MTV-5 for instance ) are more performant and younger than older Mi-17-1V.

I agree that this module would only need a 3D/4K/PBR overhaul, maybe a bit regarding the sounds ( the whisling sound of the swashplate driver "scissor" is louder IRL ) but overall a true masterpiece.

Still it is quite limited for serious IFR operations, a VOR/ILS/CDI and a DME would be more than welcome.. but it wouldn't be an Mi-8 MTV2 anymore but civilian MTV1 retrofited with " modern " avionics ( like all current civilian ones around .. )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

For me, a graphical overhaul of the interior (preferably including the cabin) would be the main thing, maybe the exterior but it's not too shabby as is. Everything else is basically there.

Aside from that, multicrew, weather effects and implementation of the rescue hoist/winch (basically identical to slingloading but the ability to vary the length on the fly, though obviously not that useful without anything to pick up).

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

With the Ka-50 getting the President-S ECM, I think the Mi-8 can also benefit from it. it would be awesome.

President-S_ECM_725.jpg

MI-8MVT-2 Cant equip president S, I think only the MI-8AMTSH with the "dolphin nose" currently is the only operational variant with the system, however since they're able to model President-S hopefully if they ever update this model hopefully they could make the IR Jammer on our MI-8 functional.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope that once the art side of things on the Mi-24 Hind is done the artist moves over to give the same treatment as done for the Blackshark to the Mi-8. Would kinda make perfect sense since Mi-24 and Mi-8 are drom the same family of russian helos.

I would also love some paid for update for the Hip but I'm afraid there is not much to add to the Mi-8 to make enough people pay for an upgrade. Even if they did an MTV-5 I'm afraid the difference to what we have now is too little for the average DCS costumer to spend some $$.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

I do hope that the current cockpit textures would stay as option in settings for VR use, as it is great for that. One of the last things I would want is extra GPU performance consumption when not needed.

I am still waiting a working door winch and rear gunner position and means to perform a SAR missions with personnel in the rear compartment.

But that requires first major features added to Combined Arms and especially ground units handling and how new airplanes, respawns and all are handled in the game.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 3 weeks later...
Although I am not a stranger to pay for upgrades, like the upcoming KA-50

I can't deny that paid visual upgrades is HIGHLY ILLOGICAL.

I mean think about it for a minute.

I use to take the Paywalled upgrade of the Admiral K as a prime example.

The videogame-industry is constantly evolving.

Games that we thought looked AMAZING 2011 will look terrible 2021!

So if DCS is going to stay around in the next decade - of course they are going to have to upgrade the visuals.

With other simulators coming to the market soon, DCS will be left in the dust and look like shit - compared to the others - in five years or less.

So the question is.

How long can they keep the Admiral K behind that paywall?

If we boot ut DCS World in 2025 and if I would not have bought the SC > will they keep that old relic of the Kuznetsov around? in 10 years? 15?

Following the logic of constantly evolving graphics fidelity, it is clear that they can not keep graphic overhauls behind a paywall.

The modules has to carry them selves and they need to focus on getting new customers to buy the "old" modules - by making them look modern and appealing.

Sucking every penny from the ones who already payed seemes to be a short term solution to save a sinking ship.

Which we will have to hope that this is not

As chopper pilots this is our lot in life in DCS, just except it.

However, If we said, for example, that we want the graphics overhauled and we are willing to pay but we also want the rescue winch on the MI-8 to come with it, then we are doing something different.

If we actually want a graphical fella lowered from our winch above the left door, gloriously modelled within the graphic engine and it comes with our graphical makeover, then this becomes something very much worthwhile to both ED and us.

Once the coding is done, this would affect all modules old and future... and we would be a happier bunch of rotor heads for it..... No?

I am up for it.

Lets pay for what we want with each module that has fallen behind..... but lets do it intelligently. Not expecting everything in one go..... Duh!

I guess our only problem is that there are not too many modules to bargain with.... DOH!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

mi8 is the best chopper module and close to the best module DCS ever had. tti I'd support paid updates with something on a feature list, it does raise the question very well, how do you stop people expecting updates when modules have well outlasted their playing timeline? So how many people in 2020 are asking for updates to Far Cry 4? This is a clear disadvantage to the free core, paid DLC model.

Agree 100 percent that this is one of the best modules of DCS! I would love, love love to see a graphical update with some additional features, even a new dolphin nose/tail ramp variant. I’m also among those willing to pay for an upgrade. Multi-crew, even a very simplified version of it would be extremely welcome, even if it’s just for being able to be in the cockpit just to make instruction a bit more immersive.

With regard to expecting updates for modules that have “outlasted their playing timeline”, I don't think it’s fair to compare a good DCS module to other types of games. A definitive simulation like this Mi-8 is more akin to being a reference, I don’t think it should be viewed as having an expiration date. Updates should be viewed as being more about preserving the Mi-8’s place in the DCS ecosystem, as it itself continues to evolve. The valuable work of simulating this chopper is done. Updates keep the module attractive to new players, entices new sales, and helps ED showcase this as one of the best modules in it’s portfolio. For example, I had never intended to buy the A-10C, but the extra love DCS put into the new C-II version, along with the good reputation the C model already had, essentially caused me to impulse buy (no regrets).

With regard to the “small” DCS multiplayer base, I don’t think ED should underestimate the power MP has to drive sales (if not now, then in the future). Almost all my purchases have come after hearing others I play with “talk up” different modules, or to participate in various events. Eagle Dynamics has made an inter-generational product, it’s been around a long time (going back to Flanker 1.0 for me), and hopefully they will continue to be around for much longer. Consequently, MP is full of old salty dogs and new young bucks. I think younger folks will cause DCS to lean more and towards MP as time passes (another good reason for multicrew).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So since the MI-24 is not that far out until EA, i would take it that the 3d stuff should be mostly done. So i hope some of the 3d guys move on once that is finished and give the A-10c/KA-52 treatment to the MI-8 and bring it on par visually with the HIND.

• Like 1

The Mi-8 is one of the best modules (sim-wise) still! I would say, it is in the top three of all modules (incl. fixed wing) regarding flight modell and "feels".

I would be very happy if it received some love from the developers. An update similar to the Ka-50 or A-10 would be an instant buy for me.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

3 minutes ago, Desert Fox said:

This. Plus bugfixing long standing issues. Interior and exterior lighting and sling load flight dynamics prominently.

Yes, absolutely - though a major rework of the cockpit and cabin would probably necessitate a rework of interior lighting.

The lighting is something I didn't bring up, but yes I absolutely agree, it is due an update much the same as the Huey (which is weird because there was a 2.5.6 update that radically overhauled the Huey's lighting and then in a subsequent update it was reverted for some reason).

And yes slingloading should be fixed, and while this maybe more of a general thing, but wouldn't it be great if slingloading stuff actually did something? So if we were to slingload a fuel tank for instance, we could use that to resupply an airbase or a FARP for instance. Same with slingloading appropriate vehicles or towed/mobile equipment.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I thinked about this aswell and i am mostly the same opinion. The Mi8 needs like a facelift for all the textures. Internal and external you see the module ages and i mean, the module costs 50$ so thats not even that much compared to others so, i could understand if we pay for the update.

I dont think, we will get the update soon because ED or Belsimtek whatever are working on other projects, otherwise we would probably have for example Multicrew already beacause flying a helicopter with a crew of 3 is sometimes a pain alone. I only mentioned the textures and Multicrew but there are other small things like maybe the external tanks or to add in the special options menu the setting (Ruder Threshold for direction Hold).

I would be really thankful if ED would update the Mi8 and get it to the standars we now have with other modules and i would understand if we have to pay for it.

• Like 4

I have a feeling the mi-8 will get put behind the Hind, as Wags said in the Casmo podcast, its not really on the radar to do it. I would like to see the multicrew get done properly, the Mi8 is absolutely the most charming helicopter of all of them and I have many hours in all. Maybe the update can be done in the same way as the Ka50 proposed and the A-10C actual. Some new features/variant.

• Like 8

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 7 months later...

Personally, it just needs a basic AI, basic rework of fx, and for the love of god please please please add multicrew. I would gladly pay a fine sum to upgrade my Mi-8 for those kinds of upgrades.

• Like 1

ASUS Tuf X570 Pro Wifi | Ryzen 7 5800X | 4x8gb 3200Mhz GSkill/Crucial | Gigabyte RTX 3060 TI | 1 500gb Samsung 860 EVO Boot SSD | 2 500gb HDD | 500gb Crucial NVMe (With DCS install) | EVGA 650BQ  |  Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + TM TF Rudder Pedals | TrackIr 5 | A handy dandy notepad ; )

F-5E | A-10CII | F-14 | FC3 | F-16 | F/A-18 | M2kC | MiG-19 | Sa342 | UH-1H | Ka-50 | L-39 | C-101 | P-51D | FW-190 D-9 | F-86 | Combined Arms | Mi-24P | Mi-8 | NS430 | Apache | "Christian" Eagle II ✝️ | Mirage F1

Primary Aircraft = Strong Red | Secondary Aircraft = Orange | Rarely Used = Yellow | Dead Aircraft/Not Bound = Purple | Recent Spike of Use = Teal/Cyan/Aquamarine/Whatever you want to call this