Default bindings don't make sense on controllers

I'm using DCS OB 2.5.6.50321

This is an old problem. Here is a screenshot of the default bindings for the controllers, as you can see, it's the same for all controllers and makes no sense... and I'm not even showing the non-analogue settings that would have buttons bound to the rudder pedals and other physically unrealistic bindings.

I had the impression this was redone recently but those problems are still there. Or I'm missing something, which is possible, I read the latest DCS World document but didn't find any help for this problem.

The main page settings, so from the DCS theme page, allows to change the settings of any aircraft, plus a "General" settings, what is it? I was hoping one could set the defaults there, but it's apparently not the case, I had it set up to correct bindings but it was never copied to any new module.

DCS is quite annoying for this, each time one has to redo the settings, or do them the first time, everything on other controllers than the keyboard must be patiently cleared one by one. And I didn't check, but until recently at least, trying to do that before starting a first mission results in a crash to desktop.

Why not have the user set their default settings with this "General" one, or a "Default" / other name, category? Or better, "Default prop", "Default jet", "Default helicopter" and so on?

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know (I did clear all my settings when the system was supposedly revamped a while back).

---

While I'm at it, something else seems disfunctional, the analogue brake settings. Once they are set, one can clearly see the little bar indicator on the analogue (axis) settings page that grows left and right when applying the brakes (for most controls, BTW, this bar moves left when the value is increasing, which is perhaps not intuitive).

So why, when those indicators show the correct behaviour, do we have sometimes an inverted behaviour in the aircraft? It's always guesswork to set those and obviously there's a random discrepancy between the indicator on the DCS settings page and the module itself, which shouldn't be. Was something not specified correctly in the API?

Lastly, once the user is the analogue axis settings, how does he come back to the buttons settings?

Screen_200604_132941.thumb.png.7b630e6906d05a13fe41c71e3b64274f.png

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone ever use the default assignments without changing anything? No. Does joystick, rudders & throttle usually get assigned sensibly? Yes

How complex would it be to make every external controller on the market get the "correct" assignment? Impossible. What is the "correct" assignment? Varies person to person.

Do we want ED to waste resources on something we always tailor for ourselves anyway? No.

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

Does anyone ever use the default assignments without changing anything? No. Does joystick, rudders & throttle usually get assigned sensibly? Yes

How complex would it be to make every external controller on the market get the "correct" assignment? Impossible. What is the "correct" assignment? Varies person to person.

Do we want ED to waste resources on something we always tailor for ourselves anyway? No.

That's pretty much all wrong. ED did make a poll and a recent change to have correct setup for the most used hardware.

The default is changed to some extent, now (regarding the sensible part) when you have to remove POV, throttle, ailerons and so on on all devices because DCS deems appropriate to preset that on a rudder pedal, there's clearly an issue that can be quickly fixed by what seems to have been implemented already (just not taken into account for some reason).

Once again, if for you it's not necessary, it may well be for other users (which seems to be the case here), so please don't be so selfish by saying it's not necessary, and let ED reply instead of second-guessing them.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR