HUD question.

ny3d1

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the two pieces of angled glass reduces glare. You can really see the difference between the F18 and the F14. The Tomcat always has a layer of green glare on the HUD due to the single piece of glass the symbols are being projected on to.

As far as I know, for the Tomcat it was the opposite ... It didn't have a HUD , but the HUD was projected onto the flat central panel of the windscreen.

And the reason was that it had horrible problems with I think glare ( my english here is failing me, and my memory too , so please be kind )... I remember distinctly to have read something about ghost contacts ...

Might it be that in the Tomcat HUD and windshield were not parallel but at an angle and so it did create glare ?

Anyway, I', curious too :D

The Hornet uses a dual combiner glass HUD system, which increases the vertical field of view.

HUD symbology is projected through a collimator lens, which creates a circular image. In a simple HUD that circle is projected onto a single angled combiner glass, which reflects it into the pilot's eyes. Since having a circular HUD image isn't particularly desirable in a strike fighter, the Hornet uses two combiners stacked on top of one another, which stretch the HUD symbology vertically and give you a better view.

If you move your head low in the cockpit, you can actually see a gap in between the two HUD images where they meet.