More natural look

cellinsky

While the assets and the detail of this map are outstanding and over the top, the general view from the air is very steril imho. It has mostly to do with the razor-sharp edges of the landclass plygones. If some sort of blending and random spread at the edges could be achieved, it would look more natural and less like google map. Other than that: fantastic work, thank you very much. Flying a P-47 over this landscape is a young boys dream come true...

Edited by cellinsky

I was surprised to see that the Channel map suffers from this same issue as the Normandy map does. The landclass approach is simply too jarring once you get to higher altitudes. They really should be blending in some satellite masks once you're up above 6000ft. They do have satellite masking on the Persian Gulf and Caucasus map and it helps to sell the illusion much better than landclass only.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree.

Everyone is excited due to the fact that the map has extreme detail at low level, so that is where they fly (Notice that almost all youtube vids and previews are at low level).

At 5000+ feet, things change VERY quickly. The map turns to a flat green with some yellow squares. Treelines become invisible and it feels like flying over a green carpet.

I really hope that they will improve this, as their competitors especially one that is about 10 years old and has the channel map, looks extremely convincing at medium to high altitudes.

It is all about the blending as you guys have said, and they should have used satelite imagery for it, like they already HAVE DONE for the PG and the NTTR.

The argument "But the area have changed" does not work either. It does not have to be a field to field- tree to tree respresentation of the wartime channel.

Different landclasses representative of SE england and NW frances agricultural regions would work wonders. Then, coming in low, it should fade and be replaced by artirts textures.

However, I fear it cannot be done now, as I think there is no ambition for it at this point, and it seems to be at least, much harder to do it the other way around (Adding/blending sat images AFTER).

One can only hope, but in 2020, I was hoping that ED would blow the competition out of the water, especially considering that the map has about 1/4 or less the size of its competitors or even less.

On LOW LEVEL, they succeeded. The towns, ports and airfields are a complete marvel and an astonishing feat, but WW2 combat often stretched up to 30,000+ feet, where the effects are far less impressive.

Let us hope that they still have some surprises left up their sleeve.

I wonder if they will add seasons

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

• 8 months later...

I can appreciate that the ED have put a lot of effort into this map, and after listening to an interview with Katia Peredenko its apparent that they are very proud of the channel map, and they should be proud of their work as a small team what they achieve is nothing short of incredible, the immersion DCS brings when I use my reverb never ceases to surprise me. Not to mention the huge depth of complexity of each of the aircraft modules. However I have to say, and I have commented before and I hope this is taken as constructive criticism, the channel map is missing the standards I was expecting for a WW2 map. 
It’s possible the map performs better non VR. But VR wise it’s not really playable. And that’s before I add a load of a.I units which is essential for WW2 scenarios, once these are added it becomes a slideshow. It seems over detailed in urban areas. The FPS drop is a huge contrast over urban areas. Until then I can generally maintain 45fps.  It’s also as this thread is titled unnatural looking at altitudes in my opinion. Colours are off and don’t help, but something doesn’t look quite right at high altitudes, I hope this could be looked at as one particular new flight sim is really setting the bar for terrain detail. Other maps and decent FPS 45-50 and sometimes 60fps are achieved. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV