Airspeed indicator

Bmh152abc

I’ve noticed while flying straight and level at about 10,000ft if I suddenly climb at roughly 2000fps that my airspeed indicator will increase and get “stuck” at about 400. All other systems were set to normal, pitot heat was on. In some cases it would recover it’s functionality.

P.S. I love this aircraft! Great job!!

I've had the same issue in the P47 just now and the Spitfire today, speed got stuck at about 200mph and made landing very difficult, didn't climb high or climb descend quickly it was a very leisurely circuit only flight in formation with one other P47 who didnt get the same issue.

Even after landing the gauge stayed high sinking very, very slowly. 5 mins on the ground and I was still doing 180mph

Sorry it was poorly written by me, it was definitely just the indicator for me. I almost stalled on approach thinking my speed was higher than it was

Yea definitely the indicator, today I actually had the opposite effect happen.

So I climbed and noticed it’s was bugging out again so I dove, and the indicator dropped even though I was screaming through the air, I checked tacview after and it showed a speed loss during the climb and speed gain during the dive as you would expect.

I just don’t know if maybe this is something the indicator would do in the real aircraft due to the pressure? Maybe you have to let it equalize after steep climbs and dives? Or maybe just a good ol fashion bug.

I’m going to say it again, the problem y’all are experiencing appears to be a pitot tube blockage.

When the pitot tube is blocked, either partially or fully the air that was forced into the system is trapped, and will maintain the pressure it was initially forced in at. The static system will continue to function normally, letting air in and out as you climb or descend.

This causes the air speed indicator to act similarly to the altimeter, just without the calibration. As you increase altitude, the jammed pitot tube will increase pressure differential against the static system, showing an increased airspeed and vice versa.

In real life the pitot tube is typically blocked with ice, hence a heating element. Sometimes it might be blocked by other FOD such as insects, dirt not removed during preflight and also when someone leaves the tube cover on, and these may be able to be burned off by the heater but it should not be relied on.

I’m not sure how in depth DCS failure modelling is, but I think it’s worth your time to check and see if random system failures is enabled in your settings.

I had the same bug with P-47. Throttle back to Idle, climbed over the airfield to drop the speed before landing but the speed stick at cca 300 mph until my plane stalled completely.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

I’m going to say it again, the problem y’all are experiencing appears to be a pitot tube blockage.

When the pitot tube is blocked, either partially or fully the air that was forced into the system is trapped, and will maintain the pressure it was initially forced in at. The static system will continue to function normally, letting air in and out as you climb or descend.

This causes the air speed indicator to act similarly to the altimeter, just without the calibration. As you increase altitude, the jammed pitot tube will increase pressure differential against the static system, showing an increased airspeed and vice versa.

In real life the pitot tube is typically blocked with ice, hence a heating element. Sometimes it might be blocked by other FOD such as insects, dirt not removed during preflight and also when someone leaves the tube cover on, and these may be able to be burned off by the heater but it should not be relied on.

I’m not sure how in depth DCS failure modelling is, but I think it’s worth your time to check and see if random system failures is enabled in your settings.

Random Failures is off for me, Seems to only happen with pitot heat on at the moment on the channel map.

Random Failures is off for me, Seems to only happen with pitot heat on at the moment on the channel map.
That could be. I always fly with pitot heat ON and I also have Random failures OFF.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

I had pitot heat on from the very beginning and after 20-30 minutes of flying my airspeed dropped to zero and stayed there. Another that I was flying with was also complaining about something weird happening with his airspeed indicator. Something is up for sure. We are both experienced pilots and understand the pitot-static system.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Agreed, something up if you leave the pitot heater on. After I had this issue I got a new plane, kept the heater off and flew around for 35-40 min staying under 8k and the issue never happened again.

My Specs: Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, i7-9700K @ 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, RTX2080

F-14B Tomcat Guide

I wouldn't be surprised if somehing got reversed in the code - heater switch on turns it off actually and vice versa (that would mean the plane always spawns with heater on).

One would have to test on other maps in cold conditions as well.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.