River textures (My first mod, be kind!)

Aeroscout

Ok, so with everyone trying to help make lock on a bit better I threw in my 2 cents.

These are my river textures, and my first mod ever! (so be kind please!) I know they aren't perfect, but I do hope to improve them, so any comments are welcome!

I was tired of the rivers in lock on, both the stock ones and the modded ones by sim-mod didn't cut it for me, so I made my own and thought I'd share!

I hope to add some rapids... and make the sandy area on the side stick out less... but I hope it's good enough for a start.

Any one know how to get rid on the noise texture on the river only, it seems rocky's noise texture covers everything.

screenshot025ib6.jpg

screenshot029gm7.jpg

screenshot021xb6.jpg

And the texture: http://rapidshare.com/files/90419772/RIVER.tga.html If you want it. Just drop it in the Bazar\temptexture folder.

Thanks

EDIT: I haven't done the mouth of the river yet as this is still WIP.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

on small rivers like those there are not much sand banks at all but i recomend that there is a little on the edges but make them darker. over all a very good start my friend :) cant wait to see some updates!

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

Looks like spray paint but non the less Looks good

lol, your right, :D but I think that's the noise texture on the water...

@ Graywo1f: Yes, I think I'm going to do away with the sand banks... however, when i was looking at other lockon rivers (sim-mod and stock), there wasn't much dividing land from water except a distinct line.

Thanks very much, I'll have updates soon i guess

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

The roads and everything else is the sim-mod beta you can get at lockon files.

• Like 1

Update!

Ok, I added some rapids and changed the river banks... I must say, it looks a hell of a lot better, but still needs some work...

screenshot030qs7.jpg

screenshot034wl4.jpg

screenshot037qa1.jpg

Still got that darn noise texture on the water... any ideas?

And, of course, the texture here if you want it...

How do we load it into the game please

Remember the 346 Fire Fighters, Medics & Police who died on 9-11.......

Selective memory is a wonderful thing, especially when certain posts simply disappear into the ether never to be seen again, unless I have a copy of the original post copied and pasted into word documents and saved .... just in case :)

Am I an abusive idiot ?

Due to physical incapacity my Wife types my post's for me

How do we load it into the game please

Drop it in your bazar/temptextures folder.

the banks look really good now, good effort.

i think the rapids look a little too organized, maybe be more erratic in the spacing and perhaps include some smaller rapids not full width etc.

congrats, keep at it.

Thanks Aeroscout, Rattler for the info

Selective memory is a wonderful thing, especially when certain posts simply disappear into the ether never to be seen again, unless I have a copy of the original post copied and pasted into word documents and saved .... just in case :)

Am I an abusive idiot ?

If I fly in the mountains, this Mod looks quite nice actually, I was quite impressed. The rapids look a bit odd on the flat terrain though, so I add or remove according to where I am flying on the Map.

One question I have. Are there places where the Devs stretch the texture of a river to make it look wider, or is it a bug? I found this whilst flying over the flat bit in the Caucasus (quick fly MiG29 mission)

2vv81zn.jpg

2upa9zr.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

If I fly in the mountains, this Mod looks quite nice actually, I was quite impressed. The rapids look a bit odd on the flat terrain though, so I add or remove according to where I am flying on the Map.

One question I have. Are there places where the Devs stretch the texture of a river to make it look wider, or is it a bug? I found this whilst flying over the flat bit in the Caucasus (quick fly MiG29 mission)

2vv81zn.jpg

2upa9zr.jpg

I have not seen this effect with mine and I think it may be slightly larger than the one your are using.I made the banks gravel looking, no grass as it is hard to blend it in. I toke out the rocks and shoals as it seem to repeat itself too often, so I now have a flowing river. I think the original river was a bit small for a river, it appeard the size of the highway, so for a little more realistic view I made mine slightly larger than the road. It is a work in progress as I have to to some blending of the banks so it looks like it fades into the grass. Yes there is something in the Lockon files that enlarges and stretches the river. I have noticed while flying that mine widens in some areas and in curves comes together a bit. I have also made the rocky banks curve more in and out like a normal river. I think that the blue has to be darkened a bit to. Some feedback on that would be appreciated by me and I can't speak for Aeroscout but I think we accept all the suggestions we can get. Aeroscout's river is slightly different than mine and he has given me some good suggestions which I have done on some but still WIP. I will check out that effect you have there with mine and see if this happens. It is strange, I don't think it should have stretched that wide. Cheers. Please continue to give feedback as it is appreciated. For myself I am quite an ameture at this.:thumbup:

Oh I will post an image of mine so you can see the difference of the two, but I must admit I would like to come closer to Aeroscouts with some grass along bank as well as the rock.

hmm... where are these locations? I believe these are just places where the river was, like you said, "developer stretched." I cant think of any other reason.

I have a new river texture with more, random, rapids. I think they look nice, even on flat terrain. It's too bad I cannot make special rivers for certain locations...:(

I'll upload these textures and check out this bug tomorrow...

And thanks for the nice comments...

And note: I made this texture with the sim-mod terrain in mind, not the default, but it still looks good!

• Like 1

Don't know what happened but lost post. Here are a couple of ideas I have been working on with suggestions from Aeroscout. He's the man. I am just trying to give ideas. Yes the program stretchs the river but not as bad as the one you posted. I have 2 shots here where you can see how the program uses the river mod. cheers. I am still working to make it better. Maybe I can get it to the stage Aeroscout can really do something with it.

UPDATE!

Well, here's both the new river texture and the river's mouth. Again, suggestions please! I only added more rapids to this one, nothing more. However, they appear a lot more random. (It still does repeat, but that cannot be helped.)

http://rapidshare.com/files/91874399/River_textures.zip.html

Tried downloading several times from rapidshare and for some reason it's not working last attempt @1800hrs central daylight time

Am I an abusive idiot ?

Tried downloading several times from rapidshare and for some reason it's not working last attempt @1800hrs central daylight time

Hmm that's strange... I have re-uploaded it but this time with a new mouth texture.

Here are the most recent screenshots:

screenshot060yr6.jpg

screenshot061ht4.jpg

screenshot062wp2.jpg

screenshot059dk3.jpg

And the new textures: http://rapidshare.com/files/91921597/River_textures.zip.html

Enjoy:thumbup:

That pic I posted of the different sized rivers joining is at 44.55.30N 38.27.40E

I can only assume that this is not a bug - rather that it is the way that the Devs made different sized rivers using the one texture to save on size of lockon install file.

I used the ME to look around the map (set to satellite view) and discovered very quickly that there appear to be 3 different sizes of river on the map, that use the same river texture but with the texture shrunk / stretched. I guess with the plain blue coloured river texture I just never noticed it before. For all I know there are more than 3 sizes, but that's all I spotted. Obviously I'm not counting the really big river in the middle of the map.

A good example that shows all 3 sizes is at 45.08.00N 37.39.00E

As for the colour of the water, I feel that darker looks more realistic. From what I recall from flying over water in aircraft in real life, rivers generally look very dark from the air.

Had a quick look at Aeroscouts latest version:-

Not real keen on the river mouth texture - makes it look like every river emptys into the lakes / sea with a big waterfall. Personally I think better looking is the default texture as rivers flowing into the sea tend to deposit silt and have brownish looking river mouths.

I agree the new river texture does look more random, cant decide if it now looks a bit too busy - I guess it is all a matter of preference. I shall certainly be using one or the other when flying in mountain areas.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Not real keen on the river mouth texture - makes it look like every river emptys into the lakes / sea with a big waterfall. Personally I think better looking is the default texture as rivers flowing into the sea tend to deposit silt and have brownish looking river mouths.

I agree the new river texture does look more random, cant decide if it now looks a bit too busy - I guess it is all a matter of preference. I shall certainly be using one or the other when flying in mountain areas.

Ok, oh well, I'll try again... I have a few more ideas. I really do appreciate the honest opinion. I'm thinking I'll make the mouth kinda like a river delta, with sand and water flowing around it and though it in smaller streams.

I haven't had a look at the wide rivers yet, but I'm assuming you're correct. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do to change it.

I noticed there has been some difference of opinions with this. More rapids, less rapids... I think I'll include an option of several different textures and the user can chose. (like what you're doing, brit_radar_dude) Same with the mouth of the river.

Does anyone know how to make certain textures specific to a season? I'm going to have to make a separate river for each season, and thus I'm going to have to know how to do this.

I'll do more tomorrow. luckily, I have next week off, so I'll hopefully have more updates!