Channel Map. First impressions.

Holbeach

you should probably try to do a ranking of the importance.

while i think every point you raise is valid, i also feel that some are more on the nitpicky side and will only ever be obvious to someone who is as familiar witht the area as you are, while other points are more severe and could be noticed by everyone with an eye for detail.

f.e. the power plant, which is rendered as a strangely remote industrial area, which might seem off even for the uninformed.

again, your feedback and critique is valid, but it is also highly unlikely that everything will be incorperated by the devs (no dcs map yet is this realistic to such high standards), so it will just be more effective to concentrate on the more obvious shortcomings.

also, what do you think about the french side of things? on the videos i saw, i noticed some scattered, lonely factories in the countryside near dunkirk, that felt a bit off...

you should probably try to do a ranking of the importance.

while i think every point you raise is valid, i also feel that some are more on the nitpicky side and will only ever be obvious to someone who is as familiar witht the area as you are, while other points are more severe and could be noticed by everyone with an eye for detail.

f.e. the power plant, which is rendered as a strangely remote industrial area, which might seem off even for the uninformed.

again, your feedback and critique is valid, but it is also highly unlikely that everything will be incorperated by the devs (no dcs map yet is this realistic to such high standards), so it will just be more effective to concentrate on the more obvious shortcomings.

also, what do you think about the french side of things? on the videos i saw, i noticed some scattered, lonely factories in the countryside near dunkirk, that felt a bit off...

A good idea, and you're right. I'll try and do a ranking of sorts, but nobody is ever going to agree on what is and isn't important. I'll copy it over on to the wishlist now.

QUOTE=DD_Fenrir;4375509]For Eastbourne the earliest I can find are a 1947 series:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/207357426

https://maps.nls.uk/view/196759823

https://maps.nls.uk/view/196759787

This set of 1" O/S maps 1945/6 are perfect to illustrate SE England in the 40's

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74466982.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74466983

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74466972

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74466971

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74466970

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

The Jewel in the map.

Dover Castle and port.

The Castle is beautifully made and the port layout is authentic 1940's.

The town itself, doesn't have the large block layouts you see in the west. It looks really good and feels right as it winds up the valley.

More jewels.

The airfields are great. All are different and authentic layout.

3 all grass, one armoured dirt and one concrete in England.

4 concrete in France.

Performance wise, the map seems to have bedded in.

I increased Page file to 32 from 16, to accomodate about 22 I'm running at. GPU is always at max RAM, 8 gb. RAM at 7.5 gb.

Stutter has gone except at start.

The East and North, of the English map, I consider is the best interpretation of the WW2 period.

Screen_200610_143825.thumb.png.d1b940ed809910c942bbc5e26c78ccb4.png

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

They missed the one at Fearn between Tain and Balintore, but that is outside the area of the Channel map

Yes, there are a few missed off overall and there is a link provided for comments on observations, for you to use, if you feel so inclined.

Yes, there are a few missed off overall and there is a link provided for comments on observations, for you to use, if you feel so inclined.

Had already done so before posting here, friends used to live in Balintore and I spent a lot of time wandering around that area when on holiday there

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

My first impression about this map is that its really detailed and looks wonderful and I really liked it when I have flown on it for about a couple of hours . I was really hyped about this map and when I bought it I did it exactly so I can get back in time to the era of these warbirds flying above England/France. I expected ED to make it as accurate as possible historically.

But now I have read this discussion and it makes me a bit disappointed to read all these comments about its historical accuracy that it has modern areas that should not be there and that a parts of the map was probably modelled with the 80s map datas available. This map was advartised as a WW2 map with historically accurate assets and areas and I don't know how of these claims are right or wrong but the claim that a nuclear powerplant have been placed to somewhere where nothing should be there in this era sounds really weird especially that such technology was not even presented back than an sounds like a well know fact so its not that the map data was not available or something and makes me wonder if this is right how accurate is the rest?

I know its not real life but these MAP dlcs are full price modules so personally I except accuracy just as much as from any other module. I know its in EA and its probably not so easy to cover such a huge area accurately so I hope that at least the "out of time" assets and locations will be removed/replaced and most of the more important areas will be represented as accurately as possible historically .

offtopic: Where can I find cows at The Channel? :D

PS. The level of detail is really great please don't let it degrade much during the optimization process .

Thank you ED!

Edited by Sharkh
  • Like 1

FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9 Dora, MiG-15bis , Mig-21bis, AJS-37 Viggen , M-2000C, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-14, Supercarrier, NTTR, Normandy+WW2 assets, Combined Arms, Persian Gulf

AMD Ryzen 2600x , ASUS Rog Strix B450-F, Corsair H100i, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3000MHz DDR4, MSI RTX 2070 8G, ASUS Xonar DSX, Samsung EVO 970 SSD , PSU - Corsair RM750, Headtracking - EDtracker Pro Wired, 58" Screen, TM Warthog, Windows 10 64bit Home

Only people like myself who know the area well, will be affected by certain aspects of the terrain, that cause irritation.

With regards to the power station, the reactor house isn't modelled, so you probably wouldn't notice if you flew over it.

There's a lot of good stuff here, especially the ports and airfields.

It's a good map and there are plans to improve it, so relax and enjoy flying over England and France, I know I am.

Crowborough Village. 1939.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101434167

Merville-Calonne appears to be incorrect and using a 1970s Nato layout instead of:

https://forgottenairfields.com/airfield-merville-calonne-1065.html

pg 241 https://www.ww2.dk/Airfields%20-%20France.pdf

Yes, you're right.

It's the NATO version with the extended runway.

Here is a reasonably detailed 1938 period map that, compared to the in game map shown above, demonstrates the additional build up zones.

http://www.bsswebsite.me.uk/A%20Short%20History%20of/enlargement.html?map=42

This is the map that you see on your kneeboard.

Just bought the map yesterday, Im a very casual player, have loved flight sims since the 1980s but just dip in and out now and then.

Really enjoyed flying about the map, the seemless undulations were beautful and something that hit me for the first time in a flight sim.

My initial impression was that this is from WWII, the radar installations, steam trains, look of the buildings and roads.

But I am from the UK and the number of houses did come across as slightly off for a historial map, London was at its historical peak population just prior and the political dispersal of population into the South East had yet to happen.

Im not sure I can agree that Dunkirk is accurate when the iconic seafront buildings along the beach at Malo Les Bains are missing entirely along with the lifeguard building. Nor can i really agree with some that its the most authentic and immersive WW2 experience given the almost total absence of any sign of a war and predominence of Blue Flag Beaches that the deckchairs of the PG map would not look out of place on.

With the comment about windmills, i may be wrong but from some limited reseach i did back in the day, the majority of the kent windmills where defunct by the start of the war with only about 6 operating, the rest reamaining as either stumps or just bases. But as i say, it was very limited research.

It is however a very nice map with lots of really nice detail right down to the fuel and oil stains around the dispersal areas. But is is just a representation. I think the map creators should be proud but the marketing team at ED perhaps need to be a little less enthusiastic with their claims in order to manage expectations better.

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

But I am from the UK and the number of houses did come across as slightly off for a historial map, London was at its historical peak population just prior and the political dispersal of population into the South East had yet to happen.

That dispersion has already happened in this map.

Take Crowborough as an example, depicted as a high density town, when in fact it was a small village centered on the crossroads and well dispersed single houses in the background.

Compare it to your 1938 map on your kneeboard.

You must Have WW2 assets. All I've got are Russian ChME3 Diesel trains. Edit: Change mission date to 1944, to get steam trains.

Edited by Holbeach

Im not sure I can agree that Dunkirk is accurate when the iconic seafront buildings along the beach at Malo Les Bains are missing entirely along with the lifeguard building.

There are very few iconic town features on any part of the map, but hopefully this will improve, based on peoples suggestions.

The part I'm interested in, the Dunkirk Harbour dock layout, is pretty good.

The only harbour I don't like, is Newhaven.

Edited by Holbeach

More signs of war, fortifications, defences would be nice.

Like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_mirror#/media/File:Denge_acoustic_mirrors_-March2005.jpg

There are very few iconic town features on any part of the map, but hopefully this will improve, based on peoples suggestions.

The part I'm interested in, the Dunkirk Harbour dock layout, is pretty good.

The only harbour I don't like, is Newhaven.

Hopefully. For now ill avoid the towns and fly peacfully along the rivers and canals whilst trying not to get distracted by the number of bridges that completely block the waterway.

I think the map is its own worst enemy really because when its good its very good but when its not it really jarrs and its often let down by silly things (like bridges you wouldnt be able to pass under).

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

more this...

https://telescoper.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/brighton-seafront-in-wartime/

I know its brighton and off the map but i cant imagine Brighton had to protect itself any differently than anywhere else.

Seems odd to me that so much effort has been put into washing lines and veg beds but not into barbed wire and concrete fortifications...what with there being a war on and all...

more this...

https://telescoper.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/brighton-seafront-in-wartime/

I know its brighton and off the map but i cant imagine Brighton had to protect itself any differently than anywhere else.

Seems odd to me that so much effort has been put into washing lines and veg beds but not into barbed wire and concrete fortifications...what with there being a war on and all...

This is typical of the defences on the South Coast and would enhance the feel of a WW2 experience, which it doesn't have at the moment.

(My mum use to work at the Grand Hotel in the photo).

Edited by Holbeach

Couldn´t agree more. It´s a beautifully detailed map but far more effort should have gone into this. I guess with every map ED gives the players a blank slate from which to start from, but an option of say premade missions with various templates already present (fortifications, destructed assets ...), would be the thing that would make these maps perfect. Now it just feel too sterile, nothing at all like a war time setting.

This is typical of the defences on the South Coast and would enhance the feel of a WW2 experience, which it doesn't have at the moment.

(My mum use to work at the Grand Hotel in the photo).

forifications would be nice. Even as a mod. But mods break all to easily with updates. I still very much appreciate them though.

Having had another ultra realistic WW2 experience (this time in a KA50 whilst eating avacado on toast..very Blitz) i think some of the maps little problems can be summed up in the fact that there are currently more varieties of outdoor seating than there are varieties of bridges.

Notes. Updated Suggestions for WW2 era wishlist.

SE England only.

Remove all modern housing estates and Industrial/Retail parks, built in the 1980's, mainly in the west. E.g. Crowborough, which was a small village in the 40's.

Remove Sovereign Marina, built in the 90's (essential).

Add beach defences

Include all 20 airfields. (Era changer is on the cards, so these will probably be selective).

Add Martello Towers.

Add Piers: Eastbourne, Deal.

Newhaven: Breakwater. Add Fort. Remove Ind Estates/retail parks. Add Cliffs westwards. Add jetties in harbour.

Seaford Head. Add cliffs and cottages. (German nav point).

Add Cathedral Canterbury, Rochester.

Add Leeds Castle. Bodiham Castle.

Add Woolwich Arsenal. Ford Motor Works, Purfleet Refinery, (London Targets).

Add windmills.

Add Apple orchards and Hop fields, which dominated the countryside in North Kent. ( before the EU removed them).

Dungeness: Remove Nuclear power station and Lydd on Sea. Add RH&D Railway. Hope & Anchor pub.

Remove large reservoirs (1970's).

Add Belle Tout.

Add. Whitstable Harbour.

Remove eyesore triangle ind est, 2.8 nm west of Headcorn, among many others.

Add Rochester civil airfield. (Scrub that. It's already there and I just landed on it. Large circle with ROCHESTER underneath. Neat!)

Edit: Scrub that scrub. It's not possible to land Spit without damage, due to sticky ground causing a nose over, so add Rochester airport smooth grass surface.

Improve Cliffe explosive factory.

Add missing CH and CHL radars.

Improve KG V dock. (London City Airport).

Add Merchant shipping, Navy shipping, any shipping! (rare in DCS).

Replace Russian Diesel loco and rolling stock, with Steam era trains.

TBC.

Edited by Holbeach