Instability

You do realize that video has that actual p51 pilot flying in that video, he is not giving impression from a youtube video he is giving impression from that actual flight as he flew it....

Even there, context is critical. Once the various devs got in the thread it turned out that all three aircraft were in significantly different configurations, with the private P-51 being the lightest, and the BoX, by far the heaviest, with the DCS version he was testing somewhere in the middle. "Same" plane, but the real differences added up to a rather substantial difference in behaviors.

It's the same sort of thing you see with so many aircraft. The bare prototype flies fantastic, have world beating performance and would bring about the next revolution in aircraft! Then they load on all the combat equipment...

Yep. I found her to be a little twitchy.

But then, I remembered she has a BIG engine upfront with a lot of torque. Then I started to pay attention to it and remembered how you must her like you fly a Huey.

On the Huey the torque behaves differently if you are going up or down.

In the P-47 is the same. You'll need to pay attention to that, ALL the time. I'm always trimming the rudder and then adding a little bit of aileron trim. That's it.

She also behaves differently at low level and at altitude. But always pay attention to the rudder.

Yes, exactly this.

I have to admit the Jug is my first warbird, but when I first flew it, it reminded me of the Huey, and how I fly that chopper. I fly the Jug roughly the same way.

In neither one I trim, I just fly manually constantly making microadjustments on stick and rudder. Feels better somehow. :joystick:

I'm starting to understand her now, I have to constantly trim no matter what the situation is. I have to say she is incredibly fun to fly due to that, she feels...organic. (horrible term I know lol)

It's tough when all you have to face are the AI 109-K4 UFO's from the Instant Action missions but after a couple of days it's starting to come together. I'm not sure if I will ever be good (I'd be happy with OK) but one thing is certain, it's a Jug load of fun!

The Jug is unlike any other Warbird, what an unique DCS ride. Kudos ED!

I'm starting to understand her now, I have to constantly trim no matter what the situation is. I have to say she is incredibly fun to fly due to that, she feels...organic. (horrible term I know lol)

It's tough when all you have to face are the AI 109-K4 UFO's from the Instant Action missions but after a couple of days it's starting to come together. I'm not sure if I will ever be good (I'd be happy with OK) but one thing is certain, it's a Jug load of fun!

Create a quick mission, plunk down an Anton, or a Ju88. Change altitude, bearing, distance. You can have all kinds of fun. Of course you can add the Dora, or the Bf, or even another Jug!

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Not sure if it's placebo effect but the aircraft feels much more stable after the last patch.

Can anyone confirm?

A-10C / AJS-37 / AV-8B / BF-109 / KA-50 / F-14 / F-16C / F-5E / F/A-18C / FC3 / JF-17 / F-86 / M-2000C / MiG-21bis / P-51D / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / UH-1H Huey

Yup, It kind of does for me too, but I suspect it's just a question of getting used to it (as it usually is with alleged FM changes reported on these forums :D) and just being smoother with stick inputs.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yup, It kind of does for me too, but I suspect it's just a question of getting used to it (as it usually is with alleged FM changes reported on these forums :D) and just being smoother with stick inputs.

Yeah, all my other modules are retired, I didn't even bother to check the FA18 ground radar yet.

A-10C / AJS-37 / AV-8B / BF-109 / KA-50 / F-14 / F-16C / F-5E / F/A-18C / FC3 / JF-17 / F-86 / M-2000C / MiG-21bis / P-51D / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / UH-1H Huey

This was my experience flying WWII era aircraft and generally any propeller driven aircraft without some sort of computer aided flight control system.

Every change requires a trim change. Every power change, airspeed change, attitude change or combination thereof.

It is also true of jets but, without the huge spinning prop, it isn't quite as obvious.

One hand on the trim wheel and one on the stick with brief intervals on the throttle.

Virtual flyers suffer under the false impression that trim is an occasional thing when the reality is it is a constant, so constant that you forget you are doing it. It becomes automatic.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

This was my experience flying WWII era aircraft and generally any propeller driven aircraft without some sort of computer aided flight control system.

Every change requires a trim change. Every power change, airspeed change, attitude change or combination thereof.

It is also true of jets but, without the huge spinning prop, it isn't quite as obvious.

One hand on the trim wheel and one on the stick with brief intervals on the throttle.

Virtual flyers suffer under the false impression that trim is an occasional thing when the reality is it is a constant, so constant that you forget you are doing it. It becomes automatic.

Getting used to it now. Already have certain rudder trims I "spin" in depending on Prop speed, boost, throttle, as well as roll trim. I have been able to create almost level unattended flight at lower altitudes with little to no boost, prop speed dialed back, throttle back a bit. All metrics in the "blue/green" areas of vacuum, RPM etc. She will just float along nice and level at about 280 knots. Thank you for all your previous insights. Really having fun learning how to fly a bird that needs constant attention. I was just used to the A-10C, and how (by comparison) easy it is to fly.

JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Getting used to it now. Already have certain rudder trims I "spin" in depending on Prop speed, boost, throttle, as well as roll trim. I have been able to create almost level unattended flight at lower altitudes with little to no boost, prop speed dialed back, throttle back a bit. All metrics in the "blue/green" areas of vacuum, RPM etc. She will just float along nice and level at about 280 knots. Thank you for all your previous insights. Really having fun learning how to fly a bird that needs constant attention. I was just used to the A-10C, and how (by comparison) easy it is to fly.

That's how I'm finding her too, after watching a couple of videos on the P47 getting flown in real life was trying to match what I could see and while not super steady she is not as unstable as when I first started to fly her.

Watching those videos showed just how fast she goes down hill even with about 2200rpm and 30" she was holding around 150kts in the climb, then pushing her over how quickly she was over 300kts in a shallow dive.

So far I'm enjoying dodging the trees on the channel map interspersed with knocking chunks off the Anton :)

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

That's how I'm finding her too, after watching a couple of videos on the P47 getting flown in real life was trying to match what I could see and while not super steady she is not as unstable as when I first started to fly her.

Watching those videos showed just how fast she goes down hill even with about 2200rpm and 30" she was holding around 150kts in the climb, then pushing her over how quickly she was over 300kts in a shallow dive.

So far I'm enjoying dodging the trees on the channel map interspersed with knocking chunks off the Anton :)

Chasing Anton's is hella fun! :thumbup::thumbup:

The P47 has a strange flightmodel with whobbling around and pretty tight turning ability with nearly no speed. Compared to this the P51 is like from another decade....think they have work to do !

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

The P47 has a strange flightmodel with whobbling around and pretty tight turning ability with nearly no speed. Compared to this the P51 is like from another decade....think they have work to do !

Are you using a curve in your rudder Axis ?....if not add 25 to your axis and this will help.Go to your rudder Axis find 'Fine Tune' and add 25 to this,I also add in a deadzone of 1 too.

For my full Axis curve set up see link below.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4380974&postcount=8

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

oh yes i have, still a unstable and oversensitive....P51 is much more steady and stable even without a curve.

Spit is also a sensitive plane but she was i suppose.

My elevator trim wheel has also no effect at all or i did not feel much.....bug or not implemented yet ?

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

oh yes i have, still a unstable and oversensitive....P51 is much more steady and stable even without a curve.

Spit is also a sensitive plane but she was i suppose.

Just take note that P-47 has the most weird weight balance. Heaving extreme weight almost at the tip of the tail. It flies almost like modern jets w/o flight control system.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Mmm......not sure what else I can help you with,presumably your keeping the aircraft trimmed out and operating the engine manifold at the respective 42 inches and RPM at 2550 ?......try only using 50% fuel,I may be wrong,but I think this helps with the balance too.I'm personally not having the issues you are witnessing.

Re the elevator trim,this is implemented,and it works for me,I'm using the old Saitek Cessna trim wheel,which has it's own Axis,it works a treat.

The P-47 was a very heavy old bird in comparison to the P-51,so the two FM's are quite different obviously.

Edited by Basco1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

My elevator trim wheel has also no effect at all or i did not feel much.....bug or not implemented yet ?

Definitely implemented and the plane is quite sensitive to trim as well. I operate it using keyboard, however. What controller do you use?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Definitely implemented and the plane is quite sensitive to trim as well. I operate it using keyboard, however. What controller do you use?

definately NOT working on my P47 ! All other trim wheels work and i feel it and see it on the control ball as well. But elevator wheel have no o nearly no effect.

Anyway, i take it as it is...... P51 all trim wheels work and have effect; but this beauty i nearly do not to trim at all.

You obviously must have a confliction with similar axis as it's definitely implemented old chap,I'd have a closer look to see if another bit of your hardware has this bound to it.

definately NOT working on my P47 ! All other trim wheels work and i feel it and see it on the control ball as well. But elevator wheel have no o nearly no effect.

Anyway, i take it as it is...... P51 all trim wheels work and have effect; but this beauty i nearly do not to trim at all.

Very strange, i have no problem to trim mine, on the 3 axis. But yes, P47 is a bit harder to trim than P51.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2666Mhz, GTX 2070 Super, SSD 1To, TrackIR 5, TM16000M HOTAS

You obviously must have a confliction with similar axis as it's definitely implemented old chap,I'd have a closer look to see if another bit of your hardware has this bound to it.

i checked it again and neither rotating the wheel nor the keyinput which rotates the wheel too seems to have any effect :cry:

rest works well but need about 20 flat input curve even on y axis for a smooth ride.

oh, no the handbrake does not work as well; same procedure as in P51 , same buttons or keys but it wont hold the plane at place.

Edited by kubanloewe

While awaiting replacement sensors for my Cougar I'm using a TM 16000M twisty stick, I'm also using the Cougar throttle as the throttle and the antenna elevation knob as propeller pitch, not mapped boost or mixture yet.

With using TrackIR it leaves my Hat control on the TM16000M free for rudder and pitch trim and twist for the rudder.

I don't see the trim wheels in the cockpit move either, not when I used the mouse or now using the hat switch, it was the crash after crash at the start until I figured out the trim in what I'm using now.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

i checked it again and neither rotating the wheel nor the keyinput which rotates the wheel too seems to have any effect :cry:

rest works well but need about 20 flat input curve even on y axis for a smooth ride.

oh, no the handbrake does not work as well; same procedure as in P51 , same buttons or keys but it wont hold the plane at place.

Trims don't have any effect if "game flight mode" is enabled. Double check if you don't have that one turned ON.