Beautiful map, but VR?

imacken

Seems like your 11Gb of vram are the reason why the map is fairly smooth for you, as otherwise I run extremely similar settings to you and my rig is roughly comparable in performance - except I am limited to 8gb of VRAM. Makes you wonder what the disappointment will be for those who bought a new RTX3070 and intend to play DCS and especially this map, but I’m guessing newer maps in general.

Thanks for the feedback and great to read that it’s working well for you!

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

7 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

Seems like your 11Gb of vram are the reason why the map is fairly smooth for you, as otherwise I run extremely similar settings to you and my rig is roughly comparable in performance - except I am limited to 8gb of VRAM. Makes you wonder what the disappointment will be for those who bought a new RTX3070 and intend to play DCS and especially this map, but I’m guessing newer maps in general.

Thanks for the feedback and great to read that it’s working well for you!

Not necessarily. I have 24Gb VRAM. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was on the fence until I decided to buy it yesterday. The VR experience is great, if you don't fly over parts of London, where I had 24fps or so.

In any case is amazing map in VR.

What is most worrying to me is that the usage of this map is almost non-existent in multiplayer, and we do not have so many missions or campaigns in single player.  Hope that changes with the ED Dynamic campaign engine.

Edited by Japo32

On 4/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, Miller said:

Has there been noticeable performance improvements for VR with 2.7?

No one will know except yourself.

It will depend on a number of things.. Your hardware, your headset.. Only you will know.

Im having increased performance in places, then some of the worsed performance ive ever seen in other places. Im experiencing both great AI, and some of the most stupid AI ive ever seen..

The clouds and lighting have transformed this map into a true mirror of the British Isles.
Above the clouds, youd find it difficult not to mistake the map for a WW2 one, Its that good visually- Its now near perfect and a far better Map than Normandy in my opinion. If it werent for the players on MP, id probably delete Normandy all together as thats now been forgotten, and is awfully showing its age.
However- With the new update comes a retched amount of crashes, bugs, and an overall (all map) VR performance that is so frustrating at times that sometimes i just want to uninstall the game and leave it to try again in 6 months.

The Channel, Is my favourite map, and while I LOVE it, i cant help but feel like there is still ALOT missing..
Its not got soul.
But for WW2, I wouldnt (and dont) play anything else.

It's true that performance has a lot to do with hardware and one's perception as well. I tried the Channel map during the last trial period and was disappointed with VR performance. Based on the positive feedback here and on other forums I took the leap of faith and bought the map. After trying it out for a while all I can say is that the performance on my system is much better with 2.7. The map itself looks great and I hope there will be more multiplayer servers using it in the future.

I am enjoying solo flights on the channel map at 3128 x 3056 and 2x AA at the channel map a lot in 2.7 right now (3600X & 3080 & Reverb)

I do not look at the FPS, I just enjoy. 

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Dang! You guys are so "dangerous" - buying...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Oculus Quest 2 with AirLink, Dell G5 with RTX-2060 of 6GB VRAM.

I ran once last night. Due to updating the VD mods, I cleared the fxo and metashader2 folders and might cause performance issue.

I can get 40+ FPS in F/A-18 free flight over Caucasus, but here flying A-4E-C with Scattered 5 clouds which is near overcast most of the time, I get 24-36 (rarely). Not great but acceptable. With all the greenery, this is a sharp contrast to PG.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

On 4/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, Miller said:

Has there been noticeable performance improvements for VR with 2.7?

Not for me no. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I dunno which one is worse -- Syria or this, cause The Channel map is small, has little to no hills and the frame rate is less than 75% of Caucasus.

I don't get this 'No Hills' attitude... same accusations were levelled at Normandy when it first came out. Seriously, it's a map of a real place with - guess what - the topography of that the real place. Like saying the Nevada map is too 'canyony'. No s**t, Sherlock!

1 minute ago, DD_Fenrir said:

I don't get this 'No Hills' attitude... same accusations were levelled at Normandy when it first came out. Seriously, it's a map of a real place with - guess what - the topography of that the real place. Like saying the Nevada map is too 'canyony'. No s**t, Sherlock!

I think maybe it was in reference to a possible lower mesh resolution needed since it's mostly flat, and the performance doesn't reflect that. Just my guess

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

My "problem" is the map is not optimised, i.e., low frame rate even though it is supposed to have few meshes to draw. Hey, I like the theme of the 1940s and it is England with all the landmarks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 7:58 AM, VFGiPJP said:

My "problem" is the map is not optimised, i.e., low frame rate even though it is supposed to have few meshes to draw. Hey, I like the theme of the 1940s and it is England with all the landmarks.

2.7 improved the Channel a lot for me. In 2.5.6 I could not use it in VR (2070 S + Reverb G2). It was way worse than Syria. I don't think it is the terrain, but mostly the detail density on the ground, as the worse FPS was over towns and cities.

Going to 2.7 my FPS finally reached 35-45 fps at lower altitude, compared to 10-15 sometimes, without changing any setting. It is still the most demanding map in DCS for me, Syria still runs better, but it is at least playable and enjoyable.

I am not sure how much ED can optimize it, vs. simply waiting for faster hardware. Now that I upgraded to a 3080 for example, I can fly on the Channel just fine on very high settings in VR. I do agree that the Channel is a bit too demanding, but the level of detail is also crazy-high. It might be a little bit ahead of the curve, as in calibrated to run well on 2022 hardware but released in 2020. But I want to highlight again that it had a huge step forward for me on 2.7, before changing my gfx card (as in: on the same hardware, it was running smoother on 2.7 without adjusting settings). Might be the game engine, might be the map being optimized, but I gotta give credit to ED there, as I was a disappointed customer of this map before, but not anymore. It is superb, and huge fun to fly in VR with warbirds.

Edited by Qiou87

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

• 4 months later...

Im affraid that after final release of this map the FPS issue back here :(. No any fps issue for me on Normandy but on Channel I have worse FPS (but better than on Marianas Guam).

Btw. the last tested flight was on Mossie.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 5 months later...

With the PC on my signup the map is just not playable on VR even if I drop my SteamVR resolution to 50%. Really disappointed because I was looking forward to playing The Big Show campaign here.

• Like 1

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

• 9 months later...
Am 23.12.2020 um 17:13 schrieb Nealius:

Low vs. High doesn't matter when comparing performance to other maps with the exact same settings. Channel performs better than Syria or even Caucasus for me. I confirmed this with some external filming with high settings, where I was able to zoom in on wooded areas and cities without any framerate loss. In Syria and Caucusus my frames get cut in half (or worse) when zoomed in on such regions. Channel performs better for me in both VR and non-VR.

Just … no