Looking for a decent chair

Cooter

As the title says, I am looking for a decent chair for flying sims and gaming ingeneral. I picked up one about 2 months ago and it's doing my ass no favors, it's way too firm. My butts sore after 45 min. I'm looking for a nice gaming chair(or office chair) that tilts, height adjustments, etc. I'm not TOO worried about price, I'll shell out for a chair if I can spend hours in it without sore ass problems. As always, all help and suggestions are appreciated.

~S~

I'm super happy with my new Secretlab Omega. Feels great and has all the adjustability I need. I've mounted Monstertech chair mounts for my HOTAS, and it's rock solid.

This is the one I have: https://secretlab.eu/collections/omega-series#omega_2020-black

Whatever you do don't get a "gaming chair".

Get a proper task chair that is actually adjustable like a herman miller or steelcase. They're expensive but will easily last 10-15+ years.

If you don't feel like dropping $1000 on a chair then check out the WorkPro 1000 and Alera Elusion which are both in the $200 usd range.

I have the Secret labs Titan (Batman edition). and love it.

It is not exactly cheap and a very firm design. But I like that, particularly for long sittings where a "plush" design only gets hot and makes you feel the structure underneath. I also find my warthog base rests on the base under my thighs very well providing a realistic centre stick setup.

It is even made CoVID working from home a dream as it is 1000% better than the garbage at work.

while i don't know what your set up is like but here's something outside the box. while there are some comfy PC/desk chairs out there they tend to be on the pricey side. then there is their durability some just aren't made to hold up, especially if go for the cheap ones. now this approach may not be for everyone but when i decided to build my sim pit i had to decide to what i was gonna use for a seat. what i chose has quite possibly been the most comfortable seat i have ever had for gaming. i went down to one of the local junk yards and got a seat out of a junked car. $60 for a pontiac sunfire passenger seat. granted mine is bolted to the floor of my sim pit but simple wooden frame could be constructed for a desk application and if you needed it on wheels some castors could be sourced from a local hardware store. since it is a car seat it is adjustable fore and aft and for those long flights to the target set the AP and lay it back for a quick nap.

I got the Respawn 110 gaming chair.

Respawn-110-Racing-Style-Bonded-Leather

Don't.

Here's what I learned. Gaming chairs typically have a back that leans back, but the sitting part (where your butt sits) does not tilt. While the chair LOOKS cool, it is very unnatural when you lean it back at all, and ultimately rather uncomfortable after a few minutes.

An office chair tilts. The whole thing tilts, which is way more natural and comfortable.

I had this one (Serta Big & Tall), only replaced it because it wore out and make-believe leather was disintegrating. Most comfortable chair ever, though, even for hours at a stretch.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpA_e2Lx-KpYDSXTC9l6pjl7TDqblYRliEb6_ynwoPzvSdNy20USh-uUFsOJgWuhw3ET0xjcYiTBqbwUCojprLShXxMI7m&usqp=CAY

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

Doesn't matter what you get in particular, but there should be stats on how what it's rated for hours wise to sit on (aka hour rating).

Dunno if that's a thing in the 'States, but it is here in Europe. Ideally you want an 18 hour, preferably a 24hr.

I also highly recommend mesh backs. Not getting a sweaty back on long sessions is fantastic.

Don't cheap out on a chair, but equally don't spend silly money either.

You should be able to get something decent for $300-400 that's rated 24 hour. At that range, it'll be durable enough to last a decade if you don't abuse it.

Edited by Buzzles

I agree with the previous posts about getting a car seat. I bought a OEM bucket seat out of a new Chevy van that was being stripped for a custom interior, cost about $120 back in 1990.

I mounted it on a wood base and designed and attached an adjustable wooden support for a center stick mount. Just recently upgraded the entire cockpit to add two custom wood side panels and a new base-plate for a Warthog stick & throttle. Also added 2 new MFDFs onto a steel tube attached to my adjustable center mount platform.

Couple pics attached to show you the seat, very comfortable. It has a reclining back and fold-down arms, and I retained the original steel seat-base slide mechanism so that I can slide the seat front to back.

kz5HGExl.jpg.93483cfe0f3f1adf152653a2b98c915f.jpg

L6jXnZCl.jpg.ee822cd37637e7fe22c1b1cfc1adad7b.jpg

• Like 1

Ford windstar bucket mounted on a wood base with a 12" ball bearing boat seat swivel in between, fly VR. Not my first auto seat used, they're made to go the long distance. Beats any office chair I've ever sat in lately, no one makes decent ones any more.

We have both a Secretlabs Titan and a Noblechairs Icon for me and my son and I would have no hesitation recommending either. They are very well made and very adjustable.

The Secretlabs has softer cushions out of the box but my Icon has been in heavey use for well over 2 years now (for both gaming and working at home) with no issues at all. The cushions have molded very nicely to me and I have got nowhere near as sticky on it in hot weather as I did with any of my previous chairs.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

The more I look for a chair, the more frustrating it becomes. Been checking out the suggestion I've received , WOW $1200 for one chair I was checking out, I think that one was a Steelcase. That's a little pricey. The Omegas are pretty sweet.

I wonder if anyone here has experience with this one:

https://www.playseatstore.com/playseat-air-force.html

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

MX5 seat here, on a home built base, mainly using fence posts, so pretty strong.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I use a steel tube office chair I found in an old mobile site hut.

I mounted it on 3" square blocks, found in the shed and secured them with pipe fittings. This gave me the height I require.

It is unbearably comfortable. :megalol:

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Guys,

what do you think about this one: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/poaeng-childrens-armchair-birch-veneer-almas-natural-10116552/ (look on design)

I think this could be a good foundation to build on. (they have the adult version too ofcourse, i just didnt time to look for on english page)

otherwise I have been thinking about this year ago, and the CAR SEAT seems to be best choice. But i didnt solved it anyway and then i found this armchair - I appreciate on it that it has some moving capabilities which can be interesting in VR. (rocking chair its called ?, if translator work good)

So maybe its time to finally choose. Car seat or something like from the link?

Last: I have tried gaming chair, it is a hell choice. Dont. (Probably dont take any chair on wheels, it doesnt work well with VR, as you will be shifting your point of view a lot, especially when u yousing rudder pedals :-)

Thanks for your opinions

Edited by Wexler

Ryzen 7 2700X | MSI Trio 1080Ti | MSI X470 Plus Motherboard | 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2933 DDR4 | M.2 XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro SSD | Virpil Mongoost-50 throttle | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | MFG Crosswind | Rift S

I recently switched from a Poang to the car seat.

The Poang was really comfy, so that's a bonus, and being made of wood, it was easy to screw things to.

The issues were the height. End up getting a height adjustable table for my monitor and other bits. Additionally, I simply couldn't work out an easy solution to centre mounting my joystick to it (to work with an extension), and that was the key driver for my change.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Secret Lab TITAN (Charcoal, softweave), very happy with this chair. More than a year and still like new.

Was a little firm at the beginning (2-3 monthes), but it get better. No more back pain.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2666Mhz, GTX 2070 Super, SSD 1To, TrackIR 5, TM16000M HOTAS

• 7 months later...