Question regarding QFE

Swiso

Hello,

I love the Viggen, it is an amazing plane...one of the most exciting to fly and I am quite comfortable in flying it.

One thing that I have not yet understood is when you have to set the QFE...

Let suppose you create a flight plan....it contains 7 waypoints and waypoint 5 is the target.

I see in the knee board that each waypoint has his QFE value....

Do you guys set the correct QFE when going for that waypoint ?

Do you correct each time the QFE ? Or you set the target QFE after passing the IP ?

Can someone advise me on what the correct way to use it should be ?

Thanks

LS = QFE (0M)

B1-B4 = QNH

M5 = QFE (set as part of attack setup).

B6-B7 = QNH

L1 = QFE

That's how I'd do it. I also set QNH on the standby altimeter so I always have an MSL reference for the entire flight.

Edited by randomTOTEN

Correct QFE is very important for certain weapong to hit correctly, such as high drag bombs so what I usually do is check the QFE for the target and after takeoff simply set that QFE on the altimeter so I don't forget it later. Also the altimeter switch has to be in LD (LuftData/"AirData") and not in RHM (RadarHöjdMätare/Radar altitude).

But when flying (usually low) between B-points before the M-point, I use RHM.

| Strix Z490-H | i5 10600K | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | 256 Gb SDD Samsung 840 Pro + 480Gb SDD Kingston + 500 Gb HDD | Acer Predator Z1 2560*1440p | TM Warthog HOTAS | 2x MFD Cougar | Buddyfox A10 UFC  | TrackIR 5 | Win10 Pro 64-Bit Swedish |

| A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | F/A-18 Hornet | KA-50 Blackshark | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H Huey | FC3 | CA | WWII Assets Pack | Supercarrier |

Correct QFE is very important for certain weapong to hit correctly, such as high drag bombs so what I usually do is check the QFE for the target and after takeoff simply set that QFE on the altimeter so I don't forget it later. Also the altimeter switch has to be in LD (LuftData/"AirData") and not in RHM (RadarHöjdMätare/Radar altitude).

But when flying (usually low) between B-points before the M-point, I use RHM.

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know.

When you say the altimeter has to be in LD mode, you mean in the flight plan part when you are not flying low level ?

Assuming your entire flight plan is low level flight (below 600m), one can set the altimeter to RHM, right ?

Thanks

No, you can fly with radar altitude but when performing bombing runs and such it's important to flip the switch over to "LD" so that the altitude is correct for the target area. You know where the switch is?

• Like 1

| Strix Z490-H | i5 10600K | MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming X | 32GB 3000MHz DDR4 | 256 Gb SDD Samsung 840 Pro + 480Gb SDD Kingston + 500 Gb HDD | Acer Predator Z1 2560*1440p | TM Warthog HOTAS | 2x MFD Cougar | Buddyfox A10 UFC  | TrackIR 5 | Win10 Pro 64-Bit Swedish |

| A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | F/A-18 Hornet | KA-50 Blackshark | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H Huey | FC3 | CA | WWII Assets Pack | Supercarrier |

No, you can fly with radar altitude but when performing bombing runs and such it's important to flip the switch over to "LD" so that the altitude is correct for the target area. You know where the switch is?

Ah...I see it...i believed that RADAR was more precise than LD.

Yes, I know where that switch it is:

LD-switch.jpg

Maybe, but radar altitude only works up to a certain level above ground, same in Hornet e g:thumbup:

Source for this? I’ve been flying the Viggen tons and completed the campaigns for it, never had issues with weapons hitting on target, and I don’t think I’ve ever switched to LD. I leave it on RHM all the time.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Sources are retired Viggen pilots.

However, DCS is a simulation and not 100% as the real world so maybe most weapons will hit regardless of correct QFE. I will do some testing :)

edit: So, did some quick testing. Rocket attack, BK90, dive bombing and level bombing (both high and low drag test) Short version, level bombing will not work w/o correct QFE set. I tried using both RHM and LD and it seems that does not matter, BUT correct QFE for the target area has to be set.

Edited by Palten
More info
  • Like 1

I was always under the impression that QFE mattering depends on the weapon delivery mode. For anything using radar ranging, it's unnecessary.

This is true. If QFE is not set correctly you can actually see the sight reticule jump as the impact solution shifts from triangulation to radar ranging. For this reason it is still good to set the correct QFE, or you might have to do a sharp correction when the radar ranging kicks in.

• Like 1