Looking at Gazelle

Hi guys and gals.

So here I am starting my venture into the realms of DCS.

I have an Oculus Quest and already discovered that if I want to do anything in here I cant use Touch Controllers and it has to be HOTAS so we will leave that alone for now and hopefully a patch or whatever its called comes out to be able to use them in the future.

So why did I join? Well I am an ex RN Helo pilot and found out that I can fly the Gazelle. So with that in mind I am looking at getting rudder pedals in order to fly it as I used to on 705NAS doing low level fast stops, confined landings and all that shizzle before moving into multiplayer.

As far as multiplayer goes how does it work? Is it just a case of blasting about the skies or is it more organised as a military style mission (thats what I am looking for tbf).

Anyway nice to meet you all when I eventually get my setup sorted (HOTASwise) and see you in the briefing room at some point.

Multiplayer varies greatly, there are some really great social squadrons and others that take it very very seriously. Personally Im waiting on Kiowa as I hear varied things about gazelle and how done it is but a lot of our guys really enjoy the Huey. Your biggest challenge is finding a collective that doesnt cost a small fortune. Theres a few people which have gone the USB handbrake route which is what Im hoping to do. Beyond that Rudder pedals are all much of a muchness but do help and your general HOTAS is a varied topic with a lot of niche competitors, but welcome to the forum

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Multiplayer varies greatly, there are some really great social squadrons and others that take it very very seriously. Personally Im waiting on Kiowa as I hear varied things about gazelle and how done it is but a lot of our guys really enjoy the Huey. Your biggest challenge is finding a collective that doesnt cost a small fortune. Theres a few people which have gone the USB handbrake route which is what Im hoping to do. Beyond that Rudder pedals are all much of a muchness but do help and your general HOTAS is a varied topic with a lot of niche competitors, but welcome to the forum

Have just been looking at rudder pedals and cant decide to go the full hog and thurstmaster pendulus pedals or more economic on the saitek ones.......:helpsmilie:

As for collective.....I was looking at the handbrake option but it lacks buttons.......arrrghhhhhh the whole hotas things is a minefield in itself but mine needs to be packed away after every session due to lack of space and a missus that would agree to me having a full chair setup

The Gazelle is DCS's worst helicopter module, i would recommend to start with the Huey or Ka-50.

Polychop did nothing to fix this since release in 2016, all we get are excuses like: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4373660&postcount=51

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I have Saitek ones which have been fit for purpose for fixed wing, if you are really into Helos the VKB T-rudder https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/vkb-sim-t-rudder-pedals-mk-iv-2/ may be more your thing.

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

I'm planning to build a button box for the top of my Handbrake if it ever turns up, there are a number of button boxes on the market you could probably mount there and a few guys doing Huey collectives, i.e http://www.maxflightstick.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=92 https://komodosimulations.co.uk/collections/collective cant say I know the Gazelle well enough to comment

Edited by shu77

cw1.png

If you'd like to go full ham, I have the collective from these guys, but you could buy the whole shabang, or you can just buy the pedals (listed below the first link). You will also need one of the controllers to go with it, but beyond that it is really plug and play. By the time you buy the TM TPR Pedals, that is $500 alone. Just giving you options.

BTW, the collective is great!

https://pro-flight-trainer-com.myshopify.com/collections/control-full-sets

or

https://pro-flight-trainer-com.myshopify.com/collections/spare-parts/products/2016-push-pull-pedal

Cheers, and welcome to helos in DCS.

(The gazelle is severely broken and I am currently chomping at the bit to get the Kiowa as mentioned earlier)

I have bitten the bullet and gone for these bad boys to assist with rudder control.....hope they are up to the job.....

https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/vkb-sim-t-rudder-pedals-mk-iv-2/

Now to look at stick and collective.......although I am thinking of modding the throttle control on my old Siatek Cyborg 3D into a collective complete with the buttons.....surely its merely a case of extending the lead from the throttle potentionmeters to keep the range but adapting it through a gearing to give only 55' of movement on the collective....

Virpil seems to have some collective coming up:

IMG_20191223_092512-1.thumb.jpg.5a347da502d9a73f276ec9a83b00e353.jpg

https://www.helisimmer.com/news/virpil-entering-helicopter-market-showcases-collective

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

nice choice on the rudder pedals

cw1.png

nice choice on the rudder pedals

I believe someone recommended them :music_whistling:

TBF the difference in price between the Thrustmaster TRFP ones and these made me go.....ahhhhh feck its worth the extra spondolicks......hope I was right or I am coming for you with the missus in tow.....lol :megalol::megalol:

Hey dont blame me Im a hornet driver with some very old Saiteks. Will be interested how you find them for when the Kiowa comes out.

cw1.png

When I went on the site it seemed like everything was out of stock.

That's a few times during covid I have been lucky on delivery. My quest was ordered at 0830 on a sunday and delivered by 2100 same day......lcos I'm a ucky man as the verve would sing lol

Do you use pedals in a hornet other than taxi.......lol

Jet boy coordination is fly fast and dont stress about the ball......lol

Not as much as when I use the Mustang. Warthog did use it occasionally to fine tune the canon. They are worth it to get around a carrier deck though.

cw1.png

Not as much as when I use the Mustang. Warthog did use it occasionally to fine tune the canon. They are worth it to get around a carrier deck though.

The Mustang reminds me of flying Chipmunks on grading flight at BRNC......tail draggers got to love them but need to find out how to apply a little differential brake to help steer.....

I would highly recommend MFG CROSSWIND pedals they are brilliant. Have a look for them on you tube some excellent videos on them.

Heinz

I have already taken the plunge on the VKB's....thanks for the tip though.:)