4K Screen

Can anyone recommended a good 4K screen?

I am currently using a 43" LG TV and while it a great setup for somethings the screen tearing in DCS is starting to get on my nerves. I'm typically seeing 50-80FPS but lots of a tearing when panning a lot with the TrackIR.

I hooked up my 32" BenQ (PD3200U, 5ms) and it was better but still noticeable and I'd much rather keep that display away from the gaming rig.

I think I like the larger size with TrackIR but doesn't have to be as big as the LG. I really like good colour reproduction.

Suggestions?

Honestly, for the amount of money you'd be spending on a large, high-quality 4K television, invest it in a VR setup instead.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Thanks for pointing that out. I tried the in-game v-sync and wasn't that thrilled with it.

The NV CP has a few other settings that give a better experience; "adaptive" and "fast" seem to be decent and I settled on "fast".

I also did some testing with resolutions and such. I was running 4K + MSAA_x2,Ani_x16 and was happy with that as far as what it looks like except for the tearing. I backed it off to 1440p and wasn't happy with it but MSAA_x4+Ani_x16 seems to give the "same" visuals as the 4K setup but is noticeably smoother - less bandwidth I guess.

Still some tearing and/or dropped frames depending on the NV CP settings.

So, 1440p screens?

How important is G-Sync vs getting something that is 120-144Hz?

TrackIr likes 120 hz , 60 hz , or 30 hz . Anything between will cause micro-stuttering when turning your head . At 4k , you'd prolly be best at 60hz , as you're often not going to maintain 120 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The tearing really has nothing to do with resolution or AA or AF. Its just that if you lower the resolution or graphic settings, you increase the framerate, possibly above your display refresh rate which can reduce the tearing. Its a side effect. But it solves nothing because in other planes or maps your framerate will drop again and you will get the same tearing.

Setting vsync to On in your nvidia panel should solve it (make sure its the setting for DCS) and you probably want if OFF in DCS if you use the nVnidia option.

How important is G-Sync vs getting something that is 120-144Hz?

It isnt (for DCS). And g-sync probably makes no difference whatsoever for DCS as very few people get frame rates that high.

G-Sync is very important. This is what stops tearing. How about 2560x1440?

I prefer my 2560x1440 144hz G-sync montior by far over my old 4k monitor.

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

G-Sync is very important. This is what stops tearing.

There really should be a sticky covering this issue for new people. As Smokey and Vertigo mentioned this is an issue with TrackIR. TrackIR isn't compatible with the Gsync features for variable refresh rate. It probably still helps with input lag but you have to lock the frame rate at 60 or 120 using the Nvidia driver or Riva Tuner. Maintaining 120fps even at 1080p with a 2080 Ti is difficult so locking to 60 fps is what works for most people.

If the framerate varies between 60-120 the Gsync chip on the monitor can't match the output of the GPU with TrackIR controlling the viewpoint. It's really easy to test this yourself by pausing TrackIR and using the mouse to pan your view. You will see a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the animation for framerates between 60-120.

As previously mentioned, rtings.com has the best reviews of large panel TVs for gaming purposes. They test for input lag and compatibility with Gsync and Freesync for gaming without TrackIR.

G-Sync is very important. This is what stops tearing.

No it doesnt. syncing game frame rate with monitor refresh rate is what stops tearing. What freesync and gsync allow is varying the refreshrate of the monitor to match the framerate, but that only prevents tearing if refreshrate and frame rate are synced in the first place. The real benefit free/g sync provide is less micro stuttering at low frame rates (but framerates still above what the minimum the monitor can handle, usually 30 Hz). Here is a demo:

https://www.testufo.com/vrr#photo=quebec.jpg&pps=960&framerate=slowramp&compare=1&fullscreen=1

Its better with variable refreshrate, but its a bandaid, the real problem still is the low framerates. And this is not tearing.

This is tearing:

https://www.testufo.com/stutter#demo=tearing&foreground=ffffff&background=000000&pps=720

[...]

It isnt (for DCS). And g-sync probably makes no difference whatsoever for DCS as very few people get frame rates that high.

This is not true (just like the rest of your post which I removed, screen tearing is directly linked to GPU time/content frame rate and display device refresh rate). G-Sync (or free sync) will virtually eliminate all screen tearing, because G-Sync enabled monitor will adapt its refresh rate continuously to device/content frame frequency, so as long as frame frequency is reasonable (varies.. about 30 fps or higher works ok), there won't be any screen tearing. In practice, it works very well in DCS.

I don't know about any large (45 inch +) monitors/TVs with G-Sync/Free sync, but I think there are a couple out there made by NVidia.

This is not true (just like the rest of your post which I removed,

Or maybe didnt read?

screen tearing is directly linked to GPU time/content frame rate and display device refresh rate).

Tearing can occur especially when the game frame rates is higher than your monitor frame rate. When you sync game frame rates with monitor refresh rates, there is no tearing, regardless if you do that using v-sync, which will cap your game frame rate to what your monitor can handle, and buffer frames if need be, or g/free sync which will try to vary your monitor refresh rate to match your games frame rate.

The difference between both are things that basically dont matter to DCS: frame rates above your monitor refresh rate (a rare luxury in DCS), and input lag. If you are pro FPS gamer maybe 144 Hz helps you, and the up to 16ms extra input latency (its really output latency but everyone calls it input latency) caused by v-sync may matter; but in DCS it just doesnt.

Edited by Vertigo72

Can anyone recommended a good 4K screen?

I am currently using a 43" LG TV and while it a great setup for somethings the screen tearing in DCS is starting to get on my nerves. I'm typically seeing 50-80FPS but lots of a tearing when panning a lot with the TrackIR.

I hooked up my 32" BenQ (PD3200U, 5ms) and it was better but still noticeable and I'd much rather keep that display away from the gaming rig.

I think I like the larger size with TrackIR but doesn't have to be as big as the LG. I really like good colour reproduction.

Suggestions?

I've VERY MUCH enjoyed my 55 inch TCL s405 4K TV with low input lag. With vsync on, 60 fps looks perfectly smooth with no tearing.

Edited by wilbur81

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

If the framerate varies between 60-120 the Gsync chip on the monitor can't match the output of the GPU with TrackIR controlling the viewpoint. It's really easy to test this yourself by pausing TrackIR and using the mouse to pan your view. You will see a noticeable difference in the smoothness of the animation for framerates between 60-120.

edit: Turns out my free sync monitor can also do g sync, so I did some more testing. g sync works as expected in the nvidia g sync demo (find it hard to tell it apart from v sync, but at least it works) But in DCS there is something going on. When I disable v sync and enable g sync, I do get micro stuttering and some tearing when panning around with my trackir. When disable g sync and I enable v-sync (at 75 Hz and ~50-75 FPS) its smooth as butter. Not sure whats to blame here, but it seems like DCS doesnt play nice with g-sync? or I misunderstand how you have to setup g-sync.

Either way, if anything its more evidence that g-sync is not exactly something worth paying for in DCS. v-sync is all you need and want.

Edited by Vertigo72

This is not a discussion about gsync versus freesync.

Both aim to remove screen tearing and both work.

There seems to be a compatibility issue with trackIR according to other posts.

This is not a discussion about gsync versus freesync.

No, but questions where asked about g-sync vs v-sync. The latter being just an option you can enable, the former, just like freesync, requiring a monitor that supports it.

Both aim to remove screen tearing and both work.

From my brief testing Im not convinced g-sync actually works with DCS to prevent tearing, at least with my non certified monitor. Cant test freesync because I dont have an AMD card. V-sync however, does work, and should work with every monitor or TV out there, as well as with any videocard..

Edited by Vertigo72

As OP I appreciate the comments and efforts made to test and compare G/V Sync. I only have v-sync so am unable to test myself. Thanks!

I've done some more testing but still working it.

I watched this video

and while kinda hyperbolic there are good points made.

Maybe 1440p is the way to go till I do VR. Like I posted earlier - seems like bumping the MSAA to x4 makes up the visual quality difference for me on my screens (1440p w/ MSAA_x4 vs 2160p w/ MSAA_x2).

Edited by reece146

Perhaps you can compare at a local hardware shop a 1440 and a 4k. Seeing them side by side made my decision easy. Resolution is not everything. I use a AG271QG and love it (1440).

Perhaps you can compare at a local hardware shop a 1440 and a 4k. Seeing them side by side made my decision easy. Resolution is not everything. I use a AG271QG and love it (1440).

What?! Leave my house? What madness is this? Ha!

I may do that. We are just starting to loosen quarantine here.

I watched this video

and while kinda hyperbolic there are good points made.

Maybe, but the point of high refresh rates is kinda lost when playing DCS; when most of us struggle to maintain >60 FPS, having a 240 Hz monitor is a complete waste. Your monitor can not show more frames than your PC can render.

Resolution is also much much more important when looking for a bandit against a desert background than when looking at explosions in Doom.

Linus isnt wrong when it cames to typical games, but flightsims are different.

Maybe 1440p is the way to go till I do VR. Like I posted earlier - seems like bumping the MSAA to x4 makes up the visual quality difference for me on my screens (1440p w/ MSAA_x4 vs 2160p w/ MSAA_x2).

Maybe. But the overall cost will be similar, as running 4x MSAA likely performs worse than 2xMSAA in 4K. Or if you keep the same GPU, the performance/experience may be worse.

FWIW, on my 27" desktop monitors I find even 1080p sufficient. My eye sight isnt what it used to be. Im sure 1440p would be ok for 32". But in my simpit I have a 50" TV and 1080 is completely unacceptable there no matter how high you set MSAA .4K is a must (and looks oh so glorious).