How to Blender 2.8 EDM Expoter and INGAME integration

Grajo

Post to cover the current, and new incoming, features of the Blender 2.8 EDM Exporter by Tobi:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=268003

I create this post, basically, to separate Addon development post and feedback from how to use it and get things working ingame.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blender 2.8 Official introductory Video Tutorials for beginners or users of older versions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here my 2 cents from my current progress using the Addon :]:

How to "Static Object" Mod/Tutorial/Blender Files

Staitc-Example-001.jpg

Files:https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308885/

Video Tutorial:

How to "Cargo Object" Mod/Tutorial/Blender Files

Cargo-Example-001.jpg

Files:https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310436/

Video Tutorial:https://youtu.be/hsmsJ3DdKN0

Video Mod Demo:https://youtu.be/xDEddHT8ON4

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to "Unarmed Vehicle" Mod/Tutorial/Blender Files

Unardmed-Vehicle-Mod.jpg

Files: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311223/

Video Tutorial:

Video Mod Demo of Early version of the Mod:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next How to ("Short" Term...): Boat -> Landable for Helos, Radar animation and Night Lights

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animation Arguments, Actions and Bone setup by Tobi

Other small video tutorials for beginners

Model Viewer - Inspecting models

PBR workflow - Basic concepts to get you started

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youtube channels from other Users and Developers, showing great progress with their mods using the Addon:

Tobi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi6EhmHmJVyaKDL-mSH7gg/featured

Jinxx Dcs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9kJbzwpYZwEuuNxKD30GRg

FireBlaze

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNZMg6_mPI5R9I6o2A4uE2w

It could be great that people interested in the topic share some knowledge here so the info stays in the most possible organize, comprehensible way :]. Basically keep it educational and informative. Any tutorial from other users will be very welcome. I will update content and add videos links or tips in this first post if necessary.

Note: I know my English sucks... and that my "tutorials" are not "top quality"... Just trying to be helpful here sharing the little info I have so far. Do not hate me for that. I do not want to be a "Youtuber"... it is just the best place to put the stuff for free so... Cheers, and thanks for your understanding.

Edited by Grajo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

A little "advice" for any newcomer to Mod DCS

Prototype/blocking your models in MV or Ingame asap.

Start getting the Code and Scale right it is a good idea (also check model Normals and so on).

Remember that Blender seems to match scale in meters with DCS so... use that in your advantage from the very beginning. Going back to "retouch" finished models after noticing several issues ingame is no fun :].

Measures inside *.lua files are usually given in meters also so that can help you a lot to place your effects, define landing areas, etc...

I use the very useful Measure Tool:

DCS-Mod-Prototyping.jpg

*It is really ugly... but terribly useful to keep going in the right direction :smilewink:

Edited by Grajo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

thanks for the CargoMOD and instruction.

If i install it and place the Mod. i got this in the DCS.log:

2020-06-22 16:14:36.605 ERROR   DCS: The file with cargo parameters doesn't exist. Please, add it in (the folder with DCS)/Data and name it as the cargo 3d-model Utility_Cargo

Edited by BlackLibrary

Hi Grajo...

Have you tried to include a IA helicopter in the ship? In my case, it works fine but when landing, she goes to the center of the ship ignoring the landing lots. It is not something from my frigate. Oliver Perry class available within the game faces also the same issue.

So I guess it's a bug.

Hi

thanks for the CargoMOD and instruction.

If i install it and place the Mod. i got this in the DCS.log:

2020-06-22 16:14:36.605 ERROR   DCS: The file with cargo parameters doesn't exist. Please, add it in (the folder with DCS)/Data and name it as the cargo 3d-model Utility_Cargo

Looking at the error seems that the data *.csv file is not where it should be.

I just downloaded the file right now and reinstalled it.

C:\Users\Your user name\Saved Games\DCS\Mods\tech\ Drop the first folder of the zip right here, no mod tool needed after.

All worked fine for me, I created a new mission to test and hooked and deployed with no issues.:music_whistling:

I am always running Open Beta latest version (updating to whatever it comes every time)

Please delete all of it and try redownloading and installing it in this way. Let me know if this method does not work for you, because it should :].

Best and happy if you found the content useful

Hi Grajo...

Have you tried to include a IA helicopter in the ship? In my case, it works fine but when landing, she goes to the center of the ship ignoring the landing lots. It is not something from my frigate. Oliver Perry class available within the game faces also the same issue.

So I guess it's a bug.

Hi man,

Yes, I have found the way for AI helicopters, take off from parking and land in almost the same spot even if boats are moving, something the AI does very well without any interaction, thankfully :].

However, my "Boat" has only one landing slot so I do not know how it will go if I have to manage several parking/landing spots.

I cannot help you with that yet, sorry. You might be right and it might be a bug, but I just do not know. Did you test with other carrier mods?

My "boat" is scripted as a wsType-Aircarrier so it might be something related to that?? :huh:

so tryed again.

since i can fly any helo. i tryed with an AI helo. works lifts ans then he drops (i think its an AI problem)

but in the logfile sstill the error

2020-06-23 20:51:05.408 ERROR   DCS: The file with cargo parameters doesn't exist. Please, add it in (the folder with DCS)/Data and name it as the cargo 3d-model Utility_Cargo

maybe its cosmetic.

dou you find the error in your log file if you start an mission with the cargo in it?

so tryed again.

since i can fly any helo. i tryed with an AI helo. works lifts ans then he drops (i think its an AI problem)

but in the logfile sstill the error

2020-06-23 20:51:05.408 ERROR   DCS: The file with cargo parameters doesn't exist. Please, add it in (the folder with DCS)/Data and name it as the cargo 3d-model Utility_Cargo

maybe its cosmetic.

dou you find the error in your log file if you start an mission with the cargo in it?

Hi BlackLibrary,

I did not even know that cargos could be picked up by AI... :]. With Player Huey or Mi-8 works well, however, if there is a problem with the AI that does not use the cargo mod properly, it would be nice if it could be fixed somehow, even if IMO, not a big deal.

Where can I check that log file, is not the debug.log inst it?

Maybe copying the *.csv file from the mod in the main Data directory of the game could remove that log error?

*EDITED: Ok I found the DCS.log inside savegames folders DCS/logs: From the mission where I tested the cargo yesterday I have around 16 ERRORs, most related to mixing fx textures, dx11 whatever stuff and even something about the P-47... that I do not even own.. :]. The error you are pointing to it is indeed present also in my log file. Could you give a shot to an official cargo object and see if AI does do what it is supposed to with it? I do not know how to create a mission to test that :). Thanks

Edited by Grajo

It worked!

Configuring the frigate as a carrier and adjusting the coordinates of the landing point was the key. Now both IA and player helicopters and take of and land.

I think if I do not set it as carrier DCS ignores the coordinates of the landing point and goes automatically to the (0,0,0) centre of the ship.

Edited by davidfercas

Incoming "How to" Unarmed Vehicle

Model downloaded from Sketchfab, I did use the original normal map (with some flew tweaks) and the 3D model. I am adding some 3D details to the original.

Model and Normal map by Karol Miklas:

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/free-zuk-3d-model-bb4OJb5V4L0hgYjM3vtGvPB7ZMt

FSC-Zuk-004.jpg

Some in-game Screens. This time, for the surfacing, I quickly tested Quixel Mixer with its new Smart Materials. Pretty handy to do some quick stuff so far.

FSC-Zuk-003.jpg

Blender Template Scene.

A little video here:

I have the intention to upload Example/Mod/Template files and do a small Tuto Video to show how to use the Template for Unarmed Vehicles in the incoming days.

Best!

*Tug Boat project continues but goes slow as I am a pretty bad modeler...

Edited by Grajo
  • Like 2

Created a Discord account yesterday and found this Excellet Channel:

DCS Modding Hub

Thanks for the heads up Tobi :smilewink: (the channel seems to be created around 4 years ago, I wish I knew about it a few years ago also...)

Here you can find the link invite to their Discord Channel.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188501

Seems a neat place to continue the journey :]

• 6 months later...

Hi Grajo,

As a first step in trying to figure out modelling/Blender/edm files/etc, I've tried importing some free simple static OBJ files from Turbosquid.com into Blender. Then I just try to go through the steps listed in the EMD Exporter README to set the object up to be exported to an edm file (make sure it has an armature, RenderNode, quaternions, etc). These are things that I don't claim to really understand yet, I just go through the steps. I've been using your excellent Static Objects Example files and mission to quickly see the final product in the game.

I can normally get the exported objects to appear in your mission, but they never have the textures applied. They always have that "digital camo" pattern that indicates missing textures. In Blender, the object does display with the correct textures in the Shading tab. So I must be missing some step in the process, or I'm not putting the texture files in the right place, or something. 

I've attached a link to the zipped up files related to one object I've tried, a watchtower. The zip file has the imported obj/mtl files and texture files, my blend file, and my exported edm file. If you, or some other kind soul, could please take a quick look to see if you see something I'm doing wrong, I would very much appreciate it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dTuqO76y4w1e4dSvuZ1t0SNU8ZaAi46k/view?usp=sharing

That did it! Thank you very much freebirddz.

And now that I've lured you in...😄 If I could ask a couple follow-up questions.

I notice in that same area of Blender, there's a place to put in a normal map file and a specular map file. And I do see in the watchtower texture files there's a watchtower_normal.tga. But since the object exported fine without that specifying that normal file, I assume it's not necessary?

And also, looking back through some of the object files I've downloaded, a few don't appear to have a diffuse map file included. Are they not always required?

Thanks again for help!

And Grajo, thanks for that Static Object Example, that has really helped.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

@Grajo WRT your 'HOW TO add BASIC custom "Static Object" INGAME Mod" tutorial. Thanks a lot. I managed to adapt the lua's so I'd see my models under their own custom name in ME, shape and textures.
BUT only one at a time. Either your FARP example OR a single one of my models!
There must be some index that gets overwritten. Apart from GT.DisplayName. And it's NOT GT.Range, that one I tried already.
Drives me crazy... 😫
Any help much appreciated.

7 hours ago, prccowboy said:

are you changing GT.Name?

Did I change GT.Name? YES! And, ahem, NO!
Since my models don't have different liveries, I deleted 'A' and 'B' folders and renamed the parent folder 'EMPTY'. That worked fine alone or alongside Grajo's template. But as soon as I had more than one of my models loaded, trouble was here.
Thanks for the tip! All works fine now, touch on wood! I gladly save your invitation to send you a file for inspection for another time.😇

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Sorry guys... I am not much in the "DCS modding Scene" I have several projects "on hold" for too much time already (almost a year...), the Tug Boat, Mi-8 dusty livery template... Hope I do finish them, but who knows... I guess I did  loose the hype at some point :(, also I do not have those huge amounts of spare time as when I was unemployed.

I think if right now I would like to do even a simple static object, I would be runnig through my example files again and even watching my own videos in Youtube about the topic.... Long time with no practice makes me forget things too fast I imagine :(.

Best and BIG THANK YOU to support each other with the topic !!!

Edited by Grajo
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. New year, old problem.
Is there a way to tilt an object (e.g. upside down) in ME? The rather ugly way I am doing it currently is to create a new .edm with the object in the desired position and then duplicate & adapt the original's folder in 'tech'. This soon becomes complicated and even chaotic. Neither is it ressource friendly, as there is no instancing of the objects.
Any solutions?

• 1 month later...

Your english is more than fine. Haven't had difficulties understanding your videos at all. They've helped me in creating my ID4-mod (not the one that is published, but a whole new one, which hopefully will make DCS players who are ID4 fans very happy.

I have a question: Do you know if it's possible to add weak points to a larger unit and if so, do you know how to add it? Like, if you shoot at that point, it will be damaging enough to render the unit dead, whereas all the other spots are by default. On my created unit, you barely make a dent even with a barrage from several squadrons, which is intentional. But I want to make that one small weak spot where a single will missile render it as dead. Knowing what mod I'm working on, you've probably already guessed what kind of large unit I'm talking about.

Best of regards, Jahn