[ACKNOWLEDGED]DDIs still almost impossible to read and MPCD too dark

imacken

Same issue as before today's patch, i.e. DDIs are almost impossible to see anything on when flying against the sun, and IMO, the MPCD is way too dark. Brightness control is now superfluous.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

+1

SYS: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi || Ryzen 5900x || Gainward RTX4090 || 2x16 Gb Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200@3800 || XPG Core Reactor 850 Watt PSU || Kingston Fury 2 TB NVME SSD || WD SN850 1TB NVME || 1 x 500 GB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD || 2 x HDD 3TB || Thrustmaster F-16 & F-18 Stick on Virpil War BRD Bases || WinWing Orion2 F-16EX Viper Throttle Combo || WinWing Orion2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle Combo (With Finger Lift) || WinWing Takeoff Panel II MFG Crosswind Pedals w. Damper || 3 x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD || Multipurpose UFC ||  Wheel Stand Pro II

VR: HP Reverb G2

If only our pilot body (head) would cast a shadow and follow our VR or TrackIr movement

That would add greatly to immersion and would solve the unreadable ddi's/mfd's while respecting realism

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

For me, HUD is better but DDI's still difficult with any sun reflections on them

The HUD is better, in that the brightness control is relevant again now. For me, the new 'default' is too bright, but that is easily resolved.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the MPCD. At max brightness, it is way too dark. Don't really know why ED have gone down that route, as it was perfectly OK when adjusted previously. Just like the HUD was/is now.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

HUD is definitely much improved. I'm still finding the sun can make the DDIs very difficult to read. Obviously affects gameplay......but I wonder what the visibility is like in the real-life situation?

As discussed elsewhere, the issue is that in real life, you can shield the screens with your hand.

If only our pilot body (head) would cast a shadow and follow our VR or TrackIr movement

That would add greatly to immersion and would solve the unreadable ddi's/mfd's while respecting realism

Razbam to surprise....

https://www.facebook.com/RazbamSims/videos/vr-pilot-head-shadow/2632276627006696/?__so__=permalink&__rv__=related_videos

Now, get at least our virtual gloves cast shadow so we can shade displays in VR. And our head as well.

But ED must have already somewhere covered deep deep their TO-DO wall a wish that the pilot 3D model in cockpit is modeled flexible/dynamic and synced with the VR.

So when virtual hands are used, the arms moves from the shoulders with it.

And when head is moving, the upper body moves with it, leaning around and rotating.

As well I would so so so much like even such simple feature that VR is placed to the correct position at least in depth, so one doesn't sit top of the stick by default.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

As discussed elsewhere, the issue is that in real life, you can shield the screens with your hand.

In the early 90's when first TFT displays became to consumer market with affordable prices, they were excellent in direct sunlight when compared to most common CRT monitors.

I don't take any glossy display (nor television) for the reason that even when it can increase contrast nicely, the high reflection value from the surface completely destroys them to be usable in direct sunlight. Why matte is far nicer.

But adding some nice coatings, one can at least make out in many cases what there is shown.

Not perfect like in modern technology but some.

Military should have taken all they can for that era LCD displays especially in cockpit, as those are operated in a direct sunlight in a bubble canopy and even at higher altitudes etc.

So if one can't see anything, it can't be expected pilot to use hands to shade the displays. As then there are far better ways to shade them by using hoods. Might look silly but oh boy oh boy don't they work.... Unless you need to press buttons around them again. That can bring a another challenge, or possibility to get the buttons there as you don't need to shade them with hoods.

From the realism perspective I like the displays have the reflections etc limitations. Make just you value more of the challenges in operation, as long they are realistic kinds.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Ideal solution!

Wouldn’t that be typically the same shadow as the back of the headrest of the ejection seat? Agree we need brighter ddI..

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

It’s a nice idea but I think we’re seeing that more complexity is not the answer. A simple return to the old readability would be fine.

This

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

It’s a nice idea but I think we’re seeing that more complexity is not the answer. A simple return to the old readability would be fine.

True, but it would be fun trying to put our shadow between sun and DDI, wouldn’t it?

Ideal solution!

I still find myself trying to move into the sunlight to cast a shadow in VR still.lol When will I learn...

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I still find myself trying to move into the sunlight to cast a shadow in VR still.lol When will I learn...

I also keep doing just that :P

I even sometimes found myself trying to use my hand to cast shadows over the DDI's :doh:

VR can be a great, but strange experience

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I also keep doing just that :P

I even sometimes found myself trying to use my hand to cast shadows over the DDI's :doh:

VR can be a great, but strange experience

Yup me too with the hand. We are not as bright as the sunlight I guess.:megalol:

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Question for those who know, do the F18's DDI's automatically adjust for sunlight? I fly 737's, and the -400's displays are CRT (hence the nice burned in images of the horizon etc on the PFD for example), and the -800's are LCD/TFT (one of those, I dunno!) but all are supposedly 'sunlight readable' - BUT they also have a little light sensor, that automatically adjusts the display brightness, so as the sun crosses the panel, the displays brighten automatically. You stil have the main brightness control, but it's normally left in the centre detent, even at night. The setup is generally pretty good, and even in direct sunlight you can still read them with no problems, although the contrast is obviously not as good. So, IMHO, everything should be readable in sunlight, albeit slightly less 'comfortable' to do so.

Yup me too with the hand. We are not as bright as the sunlight I guess.:megalol:

so this is a compensating controls problem :)

in the real world we have compensating controls we can't actually use in the VR world... Your hand (btw i do the same! so im not having a pop at @BMGZ06)

modelling real world visibility, if this is what it is, is laudable, but this is a simulation of the real world... which means we have no effective VR compensating mechanism for the "realisim" there are countless examples of this ...

in other words, change the screen brightness back , please!

Another vote to change the MFDs back ASAP.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with them before, the colour and contrast was a pretty good match for all the reference photos and videos out there.

Whoever made the decision to change should reconsider......they look terrible in sunlight, and the colours don’t match RL references.

Another vote to change the MFDs back ASAP.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with them before, the colour and contrast was a pretty good match for all the reference photos and videos out there.

Whoever made the decision to change should reconsider......they look terrible in sunlight, and the colours don’t match RL references.

Can you show those references please? Thanks