FLIR blurry

Xxx

2.5.6 release.

Any chance we can get a sharper image in the FLIR?

CCD is not good either. The brightness adjuster doesn't seem to work on the image, only on the symbology?

Thanks

Edit.

While I am moaning, can I ask if the LST is working properly?

I have a mission I made that I use to test JTAC and LST. I don't have any issues with LST in the Harrier. However, in the Hornet, the LST in HUD SOI seems very slow and doesn't show a lock. When I do get a lock the position is not translated to the DDI FLIR, so I cant see what has been locked. Switching to DDI FLIR in LST seems to take so long that I have to use Active Pause whilst the LST acquires a target. Also Waypoint designate target does not move the DDI FLIR view onto the TGT?

This is probably just my experience. I am relatively new on the F18. We know how much training is required on these modules! Kudos to ED!

When using LGB's I get a lot of misses.

The LST for Maverick seems OK.

Edited by Accipiter
LST is a bit naff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

To adjust the Brightness/Contrast of the CCD image ...

1:- Select CCD

2:- Press the ALG OSB, at the bottom... to unbox ALG

3: Press the ZOOM OSB, on the Left , to switch to LEVEL.

4: Use the up/down OSB, on the Left to adjust Brightness,

5:-Press the LEVEL OSB, on the Left, to Switch to GAIN.

6:- Use the up/down OSB, on the Left to adjust contrast,.

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

To adjust the Brightness/Contrast of the CCD image ...

1:- Select CCD

2:- Press the ALG OSB, at the bottom... to unbox ALG

3: Press the ZOOM OSB, on the Left , to switch to LEVEL.

4: Use the up/down OSB, on the Left to adjust Brightness,

5:-Press the LEVEL OSB, on the Left, to Switch to GAIN.

6:- Use the up/down OSB, on the Left to adjust contrast,.

Many thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

As for the FLIR image quality, it looks pretty on point for a pod of that time frame. As in, it sucks, but it sucks in a realistic way.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

As for the FLIR image quality, it looks pretty on point for a pod of that time frame. As in, it sucks, but it sucks in a realistic way.

It's actually much better resolution than it should be. It's a 512x512 sensor with 2 optical zoom level (Narrow and Wide FOV) and several levels of digital zoom. At zoom level 6, the image resolution should only be 171x171. Currently, apart from the blurriness, the resolution stays the same whatever the zoom level.

Thanks for the replies. I have a decent FLIR now. Trouble is, every time I use FLIR and target a tank, I keep getting DCS game crashes. Each time (7 now) DCS auto sends a crash report. Not a clue what it is, but the module is caput for me in LGB lase mode.

Strangely, the E Maverick is fine using laser? JDAM is ok but no good against moving tanks.

Since no one else has any issues it must be my lousy operating procedure?

And since this is the only Jet I can use on the Supercarrier, I can't bring myself to buy it!

Edited by Accipiter
No Supercarrier for my Hornet

Yes, the FLIR is too sharp and detailed. So is the CCD as well.

The contrast is as well too high (too wide) for the FLIR, too easy to detect ground units or any building etc as they are glowing like a camp fires.

ED is developing the new FLIR, and hopefully each ground unit will get a proper heat texture map where cold vehicles are what they are, environment temperature, a while ran engine starts to add some glow, and long time running vehicle with movement will start to show other heat signatures.

In the gulf war there were couple fratricides when M1 gunners didn't/couldn't identify targets properly, so they shot friendlies to rear. Why they started to tape their rears with big X so that friendlies at rear could see big black X to signal "DON'T YOU ***** SHOOT!".

But those FLIR's were terrible, IIRC it was around 128 x 128 pixels and now it is as well better.

Of course comparing to those a FLIR targeting pod is "superior".

Easy to notice how the whole scene looks more of a "emboss" effect than anything like we have in DCS.

It is not going to be "sharp" as it is already low resolution to begin with, only a two optical zooms and bunch of digital zooming (cropping the Narrow FOV video) levels.

So what we should get is blur on blur and evenly distributed contrast levels.

And if we would get a ground units to camouflage themselves, you wouldn't be spotting them with FLIR.

Simple and quick solution is just camouflage your vehicle with the environment:

leobusk.jpg

Properly made will be very very challenging to detect even visually walking nearby.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.