SP Campaign: Operation Earnest Will

SpikeGondorff

3 minutes ago, pieroboy99 said:

But the Silkworms themselves seems to be broken in DCS: i've just put a little group of these with no triggers nor condition and they didn't fire !

Report ?

If you put radar unit in the group, turn the units into the sea and put a ship in the range they fire alright. They are not supposed to fire at point I heard.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

6 hours ago, pieroboy99 said:

you're right they worked, but you have to select a unit to destroy...But changing this, the mission triggers are down anyway....it has something to deal with too long distance from the Scarrier...

In my tests few months ago, they'd fire at the enemy ship when in range and set properly without any triggers. Just wait about 40 seconds for the activation/arming.

As for the mission, yeah, CVBG is probably too far away to have a simulated LOS from the low shore. Let us know if you work around this, I'd gladly fly the mission as designed.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Hello guys and gals, sorry for the long delay, but I'm reading through the issues now.  I found the problem in Mission 7 when dropping bombs.  The official name of the airbase in the Mission Editor apparently changed at some point.  I tweaked the script, and it seems to be working fine in my test.  I still need to play through the entire mission to make sure it's working.  I'll also reduce the amount of damage needed to trigger the success, since that seemed to be a problem, too. 

I haven't looked at Mission 8, but I'll take a gander and see what's up with the launching parameters.  I had issues originally with them not finding the target, even with radars included, and had to use an An-50 to get them to spot the ships.  Maybe something is broken there. 

I'll also take a look at mission 4 and the LGB drops.  I had to do a workaround to laser the rig correctly (I placed an APC on the rig so the FAC had a target), so maybe that duct tape solution broke.  I might have found a more elegant solution, but I haven't tested it. 

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the campaign and their kind words.  I'll start working on those missions and see if I can get them working again.  Thanks for the patience, and apologies for the lack of responses!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb SpikeGondorff:

Hello guys and gals, sorry for the long delay, but I'm reading through the issues now.  I found the problem in Mission 7 when dropping bombs.  The official name of the airbase in the Mission Editor apparently changed at some point.  I tweaked the script, and it seems to be working fine in my test.  I still need to play through the entire mission to make sure it's working.  I'll also reduce the amount of damage needed to trigger the success, since that seemed to be a problem, too. 

I haven't looked at Mission 8, but I'll take a gander and see what's up with the launching parameters.  I had issues originally with them not finding the target, even with radars included, and had to use an An-50 to get them to spot the ships.  Maybe something is broken there. 

I'll also take a look at mission 4 and the LGB drops.  I had to do a workaround to laser the rig correctly (I placed an APC on the rig so the FAC had a target), so maybe that duct tape solution broke.  I might have found a more elegant solution, but I haven't tested it. 

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the campaign and their kind words.  I'll start working on those missions and see if I can get them working again.  Thanks for the patience, and apologies for the lack of responses!

After the second to last DCS update, the LGB's suddenly tracked fine for me in mission 4, which it didn't do before. I also used the Jester command "switch LANTIRN" for good measure (I have no idea what this command does or if it actually made a difference, but it didn't hurt in this case, so what the heck 🙂 ).

Edited by Jayhawk1971

1 hour ago, Jayhawk1971 said:

After the second to last DCS update, the LGB's suddenly tracked fine for me in mission 4, which it didn't do before. I also used the Jester command "switch LANTIRN" for good measure (I have no idea what this command does or if it actually made a difference, but it didn't hurt in this case, so what the heck 🙂 ).

Hahah, that's good to know.  I love it when stuff starts working again.  🙂 

I'll still look at the mission again, as I know the AI wingmen are a little wonky, and I'd like to see if my new plan for the laser actually works.  Thanks for letting me know! 

11 hours ago, SpikeGondorff said:

Hello and thank you for the awesome campaign! Do you have any plans on converting it to the F-14A-135-GR (Early), since that would be the most appropriate model for the time (1987)? Though keeping things realistic for the time would also rule out ground attack missions, so i guess taking some liberties with realism for gameplay reasons can be good.

20 hours ago, Tmi said:

Hello and thank you for the awesome campaign! Do you have any plans on converting it to the F-14A-135-GR (Early), since that would be the most appropriate model for the time (1987)? Though keeping things realistic for the time would also rule out ground attack missions, so i guess taking some liberties with realism for gameplay reasons can be good.

I'm glad you like the campaign!  I'm not sure if I'll convert it to the -A.  I'd either have to drop the -B completely (and I don't know if people would like that), or I'd have to support 4 campaigns (the -A with Super Carrier, the -A without SC, the -B with SC, and the -B without SC...and I know I wouldn't like that 😀 ).  I kind of wish I'd split out the SC and non-SC uploads so I could if one had significantly more than the other.  I feel like most people have the SC, but I don't know for sure. 

On a separate topic, I think I figured out solutions for all the issues I mentioned earlier.  I just need to implement the various solutions in all the missions and then test them. 

9 hours ago, SpikeGondorff said:

I'm glad you like the campaign!  I'm not sure if I'll convert it to the -A.  I'd either have to drop the -B completely (and I don't know if people would like that), or I'd have to support 4 campaigns (the -A with Super Carrier, the -A without SC, the -B with SC, and the -B without SC...and I know I wouldn't like that 😀 ).  I kind of wish I'd split out the SC and non-SC uploads so I could if one had significantly more than the other.  I feel like most people have the SC, but I don't know for sure. 

On a separate topic, I think I figured out solutions for all the issues I mentioned earlier.  I just need to implement the various solutions in all the missions and then test them. 

I'm slightly biased since the -A is my favorite plane in DCS, but i would definitely like the -A & SC version more than the other combinations. There is so much more content for the -B in general that i suspect i'm not alone in this 😄.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:33 PM, SpikeGondorff said:

Thanks for looking into the issue with mission 7. It's the mission I'm currently stuck at.

Up until now it has been one of the most enjoyable DCS campaigns I played.

Hope you will do another F14 campaign in the future...would gladly pay for it too!

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

On 2/8/2021 at 10:50 AM, lax22 said:

Thanks for looking into the issue with mission 7. It's the mission I'm currently stuck at.

Up until now it has been one of the most enjoyable DCS campaigns I played.

Hope you will do another F14 campaign in the future...would gladly pay for it too!

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!

To let everyone know, I've fixed the 3 missions with issues (missions 4, 7, and 8).  I need to fully test them this week, but hopefully by this weekend or early next week they should be ready for upload.  For Mission 7 (the infamous runway bombing mission) I've also added a radio option to immediately tell the health of the runway at any point in the mission.  This will allow you to see what effect, if any, your bombing run had.  I need to update the mission briefing to explain that new feature and specify the necessary HP level to advance the mission. 

Stay safe all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Got snowed in with intermittent power outages, so I couldn't test/tweak like I wanted to this past week.  Finally got it done and updated the Campaign in User Files. 

Mission 4 - completely overhauled the way the laser targeting works (i.e. - got rid of the duct tape solution), and it should now correctly target the rigs.  Also tweaked the AI and they should (hopefully) drop their bombs.

Mission 7 - The Airbase name in the Mission Editor was changed, which broke the scripting for determining the runway health.  Fixed the script by updating it with the new name.  Also added a radio item to show the health of the runway at any time in the mission, will allow you to see how much damage you did. 

Mission 8 - The name of the Silkworm missile was changed in the Mission Editor, which broke multiple triggers for this mission.  I updated the triggers with the new missile name, and it works as it should. 

Please let me know if you see any other bugs or issues, and hope you all are staying safe!

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the campaign, great work !

Is there a way to modify the missions in the ME to make the MP missions? I tried changing the player aircraft from player to client but then the aircraft is not spawned at the beginning tof the mission. Is there anything else I have to change to make the missions MP?

3 hours ago, viethson said:

Thanks for the campaign, great work !

Is there a way to modify the missions in the ME to make the MP missions? I tried changing the player aircraft from player to client but then the aircraft is not spawned at the beginning tof the mission. Is there anything else I have to change to make the missions MP?

I set the player's plane to Late Activation to ensure where it spawns, which might be the problem.  Remove that while adding Client, and it might work. I haven't tested it, but just giving ideas.    

Is it possible to read the briefing text somewhere before starting each mission? I'm a VR player and would like to read the materials before strapping in. I see the kneeboard maps (which are great, btw) but can't find the text that details the objectives and other items of interest.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

2 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Is it possible to read the briefing text somewhere before starting each mission? I'm a VR player and would like to read the materials before strapping in. I see the kneeboard maps (which are great, btw) but can't find the text that details the objectives and other items of interest.

There isn't.  If I have some time tonight I can copy them out of my Word document into a txt/pdf and attach them here.

8 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Ok, thanks. I can tell so far that I'm going to like this campaign.

This should be all 11 Mission Summaries and Blue Tasks.  Let me know if something is awry with the PDFs.  :)

4 hours ago, RaisedByWolves said:

Any chance of an F-14A with SC for this? Pretty please with sugar

I'm actually working (very slowly) on updating it with the -A version with voice overs as a paid campaign.  And at least 4 new missions.  :)

I've noticed a few missions don't work as well with the -A, as some of the speeds stated in the kneeboard aren't ideal with a max loadout for the less powerful TF30s.  Some of the triggers are time sensitive, which need updating with the -A. 

EarnestWillPDFs.rar

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SpikeGondorff said:

This should be all 11 Mission Summaries and Blue Tasks.  Let me know if something is awry with the PDFs.  🙂

I'm actually working (very slowly) on updating it with the -A version with voice overs as a paid campaign.  And at least 4 new missions.  🙂

I've noticed a few missions don't work as well with the -A, as some of the speeds stated in the kneeboard aren't ideal with a max loadout for the less powerful TF30s.  Some of the triggers are time sensitive, which need updating with the -A. 

EarnestWillPDFs.rar 708.7 kB · 1 download

Perfect, thanks so much!! Looking forward to getting engrossed in this campaign.

Okay, this campaign has been great. I have a question though. On mission 4 now. Is there any guidance online on how to:

Spoiler

Use GBUs in CCRP guided by an external laser?

That is not something that I see instructions on in the official or Chuck's guide.

Edit - the progression in this campaign has been amazing. Having spent an hour in flight, including an AAR, then successfully performing a recovery, is an amazing feeling. I'm sure my wife is laughing silently on the couch nearby as I raise my arms in triumph when trapping a wire after hiding in VR at my desk for an hour.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

Okay, this campaign has been great. I have a question though. On mission 4 now. Is there any guidance online on how to:

Reveal hidden contents

Use GBUs in CCRP guided by an external laser?

That is not something that I see instructions on in the official or Chuck's guide.

Edit - the progression in this campaign has been amazing. Having spent an hour in flight, including an AAR, then successfully performing a recovery, is an amazing feeling. I'm sure my wife is laughing silently on the couch nearby as I raise my arms in triumph when trapping a wire after hiding in VR at my desk for an hour.

Spoiler

Just drop them like a dumb bomb.  Lock the target and follow the cues; the laser part of it just ensures greater accuracy and is completely controlled by the AI/scripting.  Since Jester can't LANTIRN yet, I didn't want to force the player to swap seats.

I'm glad you're liking it so far!  It's amazing how the "little" things like AAR and trapping can be such a big deal, especially when Jester gives a nice comment for a 3 wire.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Thanks 1

Just to inform that I flew mission #8 and it worked flawlessly. That was the only part I waited for a fix, thx :thumbup:

btw: apart from not seeing the AWACS/command comms, as I forgot to turn the subtitles on... again, LOL.

Edited by draconus

5 hours ago, draconus said:

Just to inform that I flew mission #8 and it worked flawlessly. That was the only part I waited for a fix, thx :thumbup:

btw: apart from not seeing the AWACS/command comms, as I forgot to turn the subtitles on... again, LOL.

Excellent, glad you were able to finish it!  Sorry again for the delay in fixing it. 

Do you still get messages on the right side of the screen if you turn off subtitles?  If you do, then this is the perfect mission to forget the subtitles.  You will miss some chatter with other planes, but Jester is the boss in this one issuing the commands.  If you're also missing Jester's chatter on the right side, then yeah, you might miss some commands.  🙂