Using buttkicker in DCS

Hi, I just got a buttkicker gamer2 and am wondering how best to use it within DCS? Do I need additional software such as sim shaker?

Any other buttkicker users and how do you set it up? I have connected mine, but can’t get anything when in DCS, but it does vibrate etc when I tried it out on a music video.

I usually use headphones, and have a decent sound card, but I am not confident that I have it all correctly connected etc.....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi, his site does not mention it working with buttkicker or DCS ? Do you use it? What does it add over not using it?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I just received a Gamer2 and went through all this. I use a USB headset and run the Gamer2 amp from my onboard soundcard. I initially used the software they recommend to duplicate the sound and it works ok, but after some research and trying Simshaker for Aviators with the soundmodule, there is no contest. It's a much better experience. Give the trial a chance.

• Like 1

I like to use the buttkicker via sim shaker aviators and using Voicemeter Banana, I route the main audio to the buttkicker too. Doing it this way give you the feels from the aircraft and when you go to F2 view, you get the BABOOM from the pass at mach 1 too :)

• Like 1

I would like to get a buttkicker but all you guys bought them up! So I have to make my girlfriend shake and hit my chair as well as make appropriate sounds while I fly in VR...it's not the same though.

• Like 2

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

do i need the simshaker wings then? or just the free SSA ?

do i need the simshaker wings then? or just the free SSA ?
you need the free SSA and the paid for sound module option.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

• 1 year later...

I just ordered the BK2 and it will be here on Monday !!!    I have to tighten up My PC chair, and stuff an old T-shirt into the main swivel 
to get rid of all squeaks and I can't wait to experience the emersion when firing weapons and landing !!!

Clear Skies
     Mike 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi all, maybe this may help some Windows Mixed Reality users using Simshaker.

I have one VR Headset HP Reverb G2, and a Buttkicker Gamer 2. Both works well in DCS and others. Software you need: Simshaker for Aviators and the Simshaker sound module.

I have been exchanging some impressions with Andre, about the software, because sometimes he did not turn on well with the simulator, and curiously sometimes he did.

Determined to find out what was happening, I began to see that depending on the opening order of programs, specifically WMR, SimSHaker, Steam VR and DCS.

The correct opening order is WMR first, Steam VR,  then Simshaker, and DCS last.

Andre told me that the changes in the sound that WMR makes can confuse Simshaker, and therefore it will not start the program correctly.

I hope this can help everyone like me who uses a Buttkicker or some other Bass Shaker.

Greetings !

P.D.: About Buttkicker 2, red light is always bad, set the sensitivity so that the red light flickers as little as possible in situations where vibration stress is greatest. This prevents the amp from overheating and suddenly stopping.

Edited by gRiJToro
  • Like 5

My buttkicker has primarily been sitting on a shelf gathering dust as I never managed to get it set up and working properly and did not have teh time to pursue. I have since got a new PC, I may try it again, the jet seat I have works very well, but maybe the buttkicker will add something to the experience if I can get it working.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have two buttkicker mini lfe I‘d like to add to my flightsim seat.

I‘m planning to mount them in a left/ right setup to my chair.

Does someone use the buttkickers already in such a configuration and is willing to share his experiences ?

thanks in advance!

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

I have two bass-shakers under my  seat (left-right) with simshaker for more than six months. My experience is that I cannot fly without them any more, when you startup the helicopter you can feel the slow rotation of the rotor. The immersion is so much better with the shakers/

I am using an external usb sound card with Nobsound NS-20G and 2x Reckhorn Body shaker.

• Like 4

Hello,

thank you for your feedback!!!

I have an external usb sound card and an amplifier for both left and right buttkickers already purchased. Now, I‘m looking forward getting my new simpit, hopefully somewhere in July.

• Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - FC3 - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO105 - CH-47F - AH-1G(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Kola  - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer)

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog(40cm Ext., Dampers) + Throttle, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, corbu1 said:

I‘m planning to mount them in a left/ right setup to my chair.

Does someone use the buttkickers already in such a configuration and is willing to share his experiences ?

I've used the bass shakers for 4 or 5 years now. In my experience:

- the left/right (stereo) with 2 shaker setup does not offer anything unique vs. 1 shaker (mono). The only difference is a stronger shake/vibration and there isn't much 'stereo' to experience. It's mostly due to both of them connected to the same metal frame and not enough of a distance between them. The low fq sound 'wave' produced by these shakers is veeeery long and your lower extremities feel both of them as 'vibration' without any particular direction where it came from. That being said if I focus my attention 100% on the vibration then I can somewhat identify which side it's coming from, however whilst being engaged in the actual flight/dog fight the precision goes out of the window and it all becomes just a vibration.

- Instead I've used a 3 shaker setup:  1 under the seat, 1 under the joystick, 1 under the rudder pedals with volume control per shaker. This way I get a better emulation of the length of the cockpit.

• Like 3

vor 4 Stunden schrieb peachmonkey:

I've used the bass shakers for 4 or 5 years now. In my experience:

- the left/right (stereo) with 2 shaker setup does not offer anything unique vs. 1 shaker (mono). The only difference is a stronger shake/vibration and there isn't much 'stereo' to experience. It's mostly due to both of them connected to the same metal frame and not enough of a distance between them. The low fq sound 'wave' produced by these shakers is veeeery long and your lower extremities feel both of them as 'vibration' without any particular direction where it came from. That being said if I focus my attention 100% on the vibration then I can somewhat identify which side it's coming from, however whilst being engaged in the actual flight/dog fight the precision goes out of the window and it all becomes just a vibration.

- Instead I've used a 3 shaker setup:  1 under the seat, 1 under the joystick, 1 under the rudder pedals with volume control per shaker. This way I get a better emulation of the length of the cockpit.

Hello peachmonkey,

thank you for Sharing your experiences. Sounds like a great setup you built.

that‘s an interesting point you made with the left and right bassshakers mounted too nearby. I was hoping to get more noticable differences in left and right effects. It would be great to feel touchdown on left skids/ wheels on touchdown or getting noticable effects feedback when launching missiles and rockets from left and right winged launchers…….I‘ll think about your experiences, maybe the bassshakers could be mounted on the left or right outsides of the simrig, so they are not as nearby when mounted directly under the seat.

I like the idea with a third bassshaker near the pedals!!!

Edited by corbu1
  • Like 1

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704

1 hour ago, corbu1 said:

Hello peachmonkey,

thank you for Sharing your experiences. Sounds like a great setup you built.

that‘s an interesting point you made with the left and right bassshakers mounted too nearby. I was hoping to get more noticable differences in left and right effects. It would be great to feel touchdown on left skids/ wheels on touchdown or getting noticable effects feedback when launching missiles and rockets from left and right winged launchers…….I‘ll think about your experiences, maybe the bassshakers could be mounted on the left or right outsides of the simrig, so they are not as nearby when mounted directly under the seat.

I like the idea with a third bassshaker near the pedals!!!

yes, the higher you'll place those shakers the more of a stereo you'll experience due to their close proximity to your ears/inner ear, however you might not actually enjoy it .. because well.. low fq vibrations near the head aren't fun 😄 . The best combo, in my subjective opinion, is to combine the bass shakers with the jet-seat. With such setup you'll have the low fq 'rumble' under the cockpit + focused small area vibrations from the jet seat.

yes, with my 3 shaker setup I have spread it across my butt, hands, and feet, it's sufficient for my needs at this point. 🙂

I have stereo setup (left & right) under my plywood seat in my plywood pit.

Left right gear up is awesome. Least for me it feels witch wheel comes up. And even stall etc effects work fine.

Maybe because my seat has very slim padding. (1cm) and its made of 12mm plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, I‘d not place them near my ears……that‘s probably a new way of torture 🤣🤣🤣

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Haukka81:

Left right gear up is awesome. Least for me it feels witch wheel comes up. And even stall etc effects work fine.

Maybe because my seat has very slim padding. (1cm) and its made of 12mm plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Haukka81,

this is great. Hopefully I‘ll get it working. 

My simpit will be in aluminium and the seat itself is a gamerseat (playseat).

DCS MT 2.9.3.51704

1 hour ago, Haukka81 said:

that's actually pretty interesting. Can you tell us:
- how far apart the shakers are?

- shaker's watt spec?

My rig is metal like @corbu1, so I guess wood particles/glue really do attenuate the vibrations enough to create those separate zone (is that why they put loud speakers in to wooden boxes instead of aluminum? 😄 duh.. ) 

challenge is, for me at least, that I'd need to rebuild my whole darn cockpit  .. lol..

Edited by peachmonkey

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know what is the definitive software set up for the newer Buttkicker Gamer Plus/Pro? The maker seems to be wanting to streamline and take control of the software experience Buttkicker HaptiConnect + official plugins. Their primary market is car sims so DCS isn't available, but it might be in the future. I'm curious with the new product is there a direct way to use the game data (instead of the audio) that has worked before or if I have to use the audio until an official plugin comes out.

CPU: 5950x || Memory: 64GB || GPU: RTX 4090

Input: Virpil CM3, TM F/A-18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, WW F-16EX grip on TM Warthog base, Virpil CP1 and CP2, Cougar MFD x2 / w CubeSim screens, StreamDeck XL x2, StreamDeck 15-key, TrackIR5

1 hour ago, EbonySeraphim said:

Anyone know what is the definitive software set up for the newer Buttkicker Gamer Plus/Pro? The maker seems to be wanting to streamline and take control of the software experience Buttkicker HaptiConnect + official plugins. Their primary market is car sims so DCS isn't available, but it might be in the future. I'm curious with the new product is there a direct way to use the game data (instead of the audio) that has worked before or if I have to use the audio until an official plugin comes out.

I guess simshaker sound module still applies, like with the previous buttkicker version, to read dcs game data.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

8 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

I guess simshaker sound module still applies, like with the previous buttkicker version, to read dcs game data.

Can you clarify what you mean? From what I understand the Buttkicker can operate out of the box based off of the sound frequencies. And I think that would work well in DCS, but I'm looking for something that works through exports / DCS-BIOS / dcs-interface so I can both potentially tune or turn off individual effects, and isolate how Buttkicker works from my sound output configuration and wiring. Can I do this with the Buttkicker Plus and any software that is currently available?

• Like 1

CPU: 5950x || Memory: 64GB || GPU: RTX 4090

Input: Virpil CM3, TM F/A-18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, WW F-16EX grip on TM Warthog base, Virpil CP1 and CP2, Cougar MFD x2 / w CubeSim screens, StreamDeck XL x2, StreamDeck 15-key, TrackIR5