[CORRECT AS IS] JDAM - TPOD automatically 'TDC depressing' in TOO

imacken

There is something not correct in the behaviour of the TPOD and JDAMs.

In the latest patch (maybe the one before as well), there is no need to do a TDC depress on the TPOD to get the target coords into the JDAM. You just TDC depress on the first station's target, step to next station, move cursor to next target (coords auto locked), step to 3rd station, move cursor to target, step to 4th station, move cursor to target and then press undesignate.

Voila! All targets locked.

This behaviour surely must be a bug. Previously, we had to do a TDC depress when over each target to get them into the JDAMs.

There is a related thread here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=277746

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I don’t think this is a bug. In TOO mode the JDAM gets coordinates from the aircraft designation point. There’s no reason to think this doesn’t happen in real time. If the designation moves, so does the JDAM target. Similarly, any active designation probably overwrites any stored coordinates, so pulling up a previously TOO targeted JDAM with an active designation should move the JDAM tgt to the current designation.

I hear what you say, but I'm not convinced. If it is correct, then there is no need to 'TDC depress' at all. It also means that if you slew the cursor at all away from the designated target, then it is lost. Neither of those things make any real sense.

This behavious did not happen until a recent patch.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It makes perfect sense. TOO mode reads its coordinates from the CURRENT aircraft designation. If you have a JDAM in TOO mode selected and an active aircraft designation, that designation becomes the bomb's target regardless of any prior action. Once you accept that as how TOO mode is intended to work, then its a lot easier to understand. There is a need to TDC depress to get the pod (or radar etc) into a designation mode rather than snowplow. You can also use WPDSG to get it into designation mode. Once it's designating, however, JDAM interprets its coordinates from the A/C designation. Just like using unguided bombs in AUTO mode, they will be cued to wherever you slew your designation.

EDIT: And to clarify, the only way to not "lose" a TOO target is to not select that bomb when you have an active designation. If you undesignate, you can step between bombs at will and they will have stored the coordinates of the LAST designation that was active when THAT BOMB was selected AND in TOO mode. For instance, I WPDSG with STA 2 selected in TOO mode, that wpt is now saved, I step to STA 8 also in TOO mode and slew the pod 150 meters north, I don't have to hit TDC as the system was designating that whole time, and wherever I slew to is now STA 8 target. If I step back to STA 2, that bomb will take coordinates from my current designation. If I undesignate first, STA 8 and STA 2 will have different coordinates that I can drop on (as long as I don't designate anything else in the meantime). You can also switch TOO MSN if you're expecting to slew your designation, wherever you left MSN 1 should still be stored as long as you undesignate before opening it up.

Edited by Subferro

Sorry, I still don't get it. Although I can see the mechanics of what you are saying, how does it work with 8 bombs when you are using TOO1 and TOO2?

If I designate the 4 bombs on TOO1, then press undesignate, then slew the cursor manually (as I can''t see how to do it otherwise without losing the TOO1 targets), designate the first station on TOO2, whenever I hit 'step' it goes back to TOO1 and overwrites the original target! If I then click on TOO2, I get the same target with both bombs on that staion in TOO1 and TOO2.

The behaviour here is how I see it logically working, and how it did work up to the last patch or two

I'm obviously missing something!

Maybe it isn't designed for you to program 8 individual TOO targets?

Though what I would try is after you designate 1-4 on TOO1, undesignate then step through all bombs and select TOO2 without designating anything. At that point stepping through to designate targets should (I haven't actually tested this) keep the TOO2 selection so that now that's where the coordinates get saved. Mark your 4 TOO2 targets. Undesignate. Drop 4 in TOO2, step through each bomb and select TOO1, drop 4 more.

I'll test that out, but just because the system doesn't have a smooth and easy workflow for saving 8 individual TOO targets, doesn't mean it's a bug.

EDIT: another thought, do what he does in the video and designate TOO1 and then TOO2 on each station before stepping, when you hit the last station, undesignate. The only difference is he slews the pod before switching from TOO1 to TOO2. Don't do that.

So workflow is WPDSG (or whatever to get the pod designating and pointing towards your target). Select STA 2 in TOO mode. Point to TOO1 and leave the pod there. Hit TOO2 (right now it will have the same coordinates at TOO1) and slew to the TOO2 target. Leave the pod there. Step to STA 3 TOO1 will have the same coordinates as TOO 2 on STA 2, slew pod to STA 3 TOO1, select TOO2 and slew to TOO2 target, step to next station and so forth.

Edited by Subferro

Thanks for that. Yes, that all works OK. As you pointed out, the key was to do TOO1 and TOO2 for each station before pressing step. Now, I can get all 8 bombs to hit the targets correctly.

However, I still feel that the previous behaviour was more logical. Just doesn't seem right to me that a slight movement of the cursor automatically moves the target, and no TDC depress needed.

A side question, after pressing undesignate, how can I get the TPOD back to looking at the target area without manually slewing all over the place from snowplough?

A side question, after pressing undesignate, how can I get the TPOD back to looking at the target area without manually slewing all over the place from snowplough?

In the latest stable version undesignating while in TOO mode does not make the TGP go to snowplow. Please don't tell me it does in OB. I need that feature a lot.

In the latest stable version undesignating while in TOO mode does not make the TGP go to snowplow. Please don't tell me it does in OB. I need that feature a lot.

Yes, OB makes it go to snowplough. As you can see from this thread and others, there are other changes that I am still not convinced aren't bugs. At best, the changes are, IMO, illogical.

From the above posts, you can see that it is no longer necessary to do a TDC depress to designate a target like it was up until the last couple of patches.

Not sure any more what is correct and what is not. I wish BN or someone from ED would pay some attention to this and other threads on the Hornet JDAM behavious.

Yes, OB makes it go to snowplough. As you can see from this thread and others, there are other changes that I am still not convinced aren't bugs. At best, the changes are, IMO, illogical.

From the above posts, you can see that it is no longer necessary to do a TDC depress to designate a target like it was up until the last couple of patches.

Not sure any more what is correct and what is not. I wish BN or someone from ED would pay some attention to this and other threads on the Hornet JDAM behavious.

that's bad news... so if this is how it works IRL we need mark points much earlier than we thought at the time of ED's Hornet-development-survey!

You can’t get it to look back without making a new designation. Obviously this will mess up your bomb programming. Wait until the last bomb is off the rack, then hit WPDSG if you have a waypoint in the area. I do wonder if undesignating in area or point should leave the pod in place. And then you can return to snowplow by cycling to OPR. But that is speculation

OK, thanks for that.

This, again, is different behaviour to what we have seen prior to the last patch or two, and, again, I wll say it would be good if someone from ED would confirm that this is now correct behaviour, and not bug/WIP.

+1

+1 I could believe its real and can live with it but.... what if the pilot wants to designate multiple TOO targets for multiple JDAMS and then slew the TPOD to something else of interest....ie track a moving target

Heatblur F-14 Tomcat | DCS F/A-18C Hornet | DCS A-10C II Warthog | BelSimTek UH-1H

RTX 2080 Super, i7 8700K @ 4.9Ghz, 16gb 2400Mhz DDR4, Asus Z370F, Corsair H115i Pro

Then he or she would probably use mark points to save the coordinates. TOO mode is a way to get JDAMs pointed at your current target. Using it for anything else is outside the scope of its intent.

Yep, so please ED, let's see this soon.

TGP jdam broken

You can designate a target but as soon as you move the TGP, the coordinates change on the jdam and don't save the designation.

Windows 10 Pro x64 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 8700K @ 5.0GHz (Cooled by H150i Pro), 32GB DDR4 @3200, Asus Maximus X, TM Warthog with F-18 stick, TPR Rudder, Oculus Rift S

Already reported and labeled correct as-is. A JDAM will constantly write the designation point to memory while its station is the priority station. It will stop updating if you step to another station or Undesignate.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=277899

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I can not get the TGP back to snowplough in 2.5.6 release.

In fact I somehow got the pod stuck looking at the aircrafts belly?? WPDT did not work. Slew only kept examining the underside of the aircraft. After an age, somehow it flicked back onto the WPDT.

Really a puzzle, I don't know what went wrong. Keep thinking its my brain...or lack of!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

I can not get the TGP back to snowplough in 2.5.6 release.

In fact I somehow got the pod stuck looking at the aircrafts belly?? WPDT did not work. Slew only kept examining the underside of the aircraft. After an age, somehow it flicked back onto the WPDT.

Really a puzzle, I don't know what went wrong. Keep thinking its my brain...or lack of!

it's likely a bug. see https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=277769