A8 to F8

ChrisJD

• 3 months later...
I am surprised no one has changed the A8 to the F8.

ED were talking about it for a while. I compiled a list of relevant dev links HERE, if anyone is interested.

However, more recently (20-Mar-2020), ED announced:

With the Wulf finally out of early access, we look forward to further improvements. Making the aircraft even more complex with the F-8 attack and G-8 light bomber variations.
Ref: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4251084&postcount=245

However, it has basically gone quiet on the F8/G8 since they declared at A8 out of Early Access.

Yet, I'm still desperately hoping for the F-8/G-8.

Please, ED?

:blush:

• Like 2

It looks like WWII is not top priority.. it's a vicious circle.. no large content means no large player base which means no large revenues which in turn affects the development. ED it's still a business in the end. But hey, a promise remains a promise, so we can only hope for the best.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

It looks like WWII is not top priority.. it's a vicious circle.. no large content means no large player base which means no large revenues which in turn affects the development. ED it's still a business in the end. But hey, a promise remains a promise, so we can only hope for the best.

Its not WW2 in general, it's a personal thing between ED and the A8. Look at the P47 f.e. that just received its variants...

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Its not WW2 in general, it's a personal thing between ED and the A8. Look at the P47 f.e. that just received its variants...

Totally agreed. Possibly even extend that out to German aircraft more generally.

For example, in the interview with Nick Grey on the P-47 earlier this year, there was a question: "What was the reason behind picking the P-47?"

Breaking down his response (with some quotes), we have:

@13.45 - 57s of Fighter Collection background

@14:42 - 28s about the P-51 ... "probably one of the most beautiful pieces of machinery built by man"

@15:10 - 3s ... "and then we had to go on to a bit of German stuff and whatnot"

@15:13 - 16s on the Spitfire ... "the most iconic aircraft ever created by man"

@15:29 - 63s about the P-47 ... "a fantastic machine to fly", "it did an incredibly good job", etc.

With that viewpoint, frankly, I am amazed we have any German aircraft at all. :?

Ref:

While I agree with you guys about the point that WWII Aircraft and other content need significantly^2 more attention from ED, I don't think there is antipathy for german aircraft in general.

We have the ultimate Bf109 and Fw190 that were in active duty back then. Both with MW50 power, while both the Mustang and Spit don't even have an option for 150octane fuel. The Mustangs engine doesn't like to use its WEP, as it has a high probability to fail then. Spit's Merlin seem to be more robust, but it's topspeed is on the low side of available calculation- and testsheets.

Yes, Nick talks a lot about allied planes, as he flew many of them. But he is a smart person and though is sounds "negative" when he says "and then we had to go on to a bit of German stuff and whatnot", he knows too good that they have to be represented as close to available information as possible, because a biased recreation of aircraft would lead to a collapse of the whole product. Player numbers / sales would drop. His personal preference might just be with the allied aircraft.

And a little bit german is in the "@14:42 - 28s about the P-51 ... "probably one of the most beautiful pieces of machinery built by man"", as Edgar Schmued, a german immigrant, was responsible for the Mustang's design.

Fox

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like the Anton is incomplete in its current state, damage model is coming and I hope they also add malfunction to the anton engine if you push it to hard for too long because right now you can go up to 2700 rpm for a lot of time and nothing will happen. We also need more variants, today they just added 2 more for the P-47 (P-47D-30 (early) and P-47D-40) and anton gets nothing. They could add A-8 R2 with the mk108 guns or the R4 with the GM1 and finally F-8/G-8 variants. I would like them to add the C3 injector too. They can add a lot of stuff but it seems they are too busy working with the P47.

• Like 2

I feel like the Anton is incomplete in its current state, damage model is coming and I hope they also add malfunction to the anton engine if you push it to hard for too long because right now you can go up to 2700 rpm for a lot of time and nothing will happen. We also need more variants, today they just added 2 more for the P-47 (P-47D-30 (early) and P-47D-40) and anton gets nothing. They could add A-8 R2 with the mk108 guns or the R4 with the GM1 and finally F-8/G-8 variants. I would like them to add the C3 injector too. They can add a lot of stuff but it seems they are too busy working with the P47.

^ This.

Plus getting the bugs ironed out. I am hoping that with the new damage model, it will be possible for ED to go back and address the bombs and especially the bugs with the advertised cluster munitions for the A8. These are important not just for that aircraft, but for the F8.

However, I do fear that the F8/G8 has been abandonned now and the next project will be the DH98 or something.

:cry_2:

• Like 1

I understand why and am gratefull that the T-Bolt is getting a lot of love at the mo as we have waited a long time for it, even before the Anton was announced. However i do share your concern about it being abandoned as it is my fav german aircraft and it does need a lot of love

• Like 1

Just a couple of questions:

Did you buy the A8 thinking you would get the F8/G8 and the more advanced version of the A8 with EN?

Did you feel when buying the A8 that getting F8/G8 was part of the deal?

Do you think development & bugfixing on the A8 has been abandoned because it sold badly?

Does ED hold the risk of business or do you?

Do you get money back if the module you bought sold way better than expected?

Do you think it's fair that the development of the module just get's dropped way before it's done without giving out any info?

• Like 2

Kein Anderer als ein Jäger spürt,

Den Kampf und Sieg so konzentriert.

Das macht uns glücklich, stolz und froh,

Der Jägerei ein Horrido!

Is that expectation to provide an F8 confirmed?

If so, that’s cool

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just a couple of questions:

Did you buy the A8 thinking you would get the F8/G8 and the more advanced version of the A8 with EN?

Did you feel when buying the A8 that getting F8/G8 was part of the deal?

Do you think development & bugfixing on the A8 has been abandoned because it sold badly?

Does ED hold the risk of business or do you?

Do you get money back if the module you bought sold way better than expected?

Do you think it's fair that the development of the module just get's dropped way before it's done without giving out any info?

1. No, but the P47 is getting variants and much more love and I feel that paying the same amount of money for less content is not fair.

2. No exactly but I was expecting them to cover some of the kits. At least R2, R6, R7 and R8 that were the most used ones.

3. Yes, I see very little simulation in the management of the engine, temperatures are broken as they don't go up to 80 degrees and beyond and as I said in my previous post, you can go up to 2700 rpm for an infinite amount of time and nothing will happen. There are also other bugs such as cluster bombs being broken.

4. I already paid for the product and I assume the risk, the only thing I can do is post in the forums so devs can hear my concerns, but I think ED needs to also assume the risk of the business too and finish the module.

5. I really don't have the information about A-8 sales, but I think we all win, fans and eagle dynamics if they can just finish the Anton, customers like me will not buy another ww2 module again until this one is completed

6. No, I don't why they dropped the development of the Anton, maybe their team is so small that they can only focus on one or two warbirds at a time, they are also working on the mosquito so... maybe they earned very little amount of money so they think it is not worth the time to continue with the development of the module. Maybe they can clarify this but whatever the reason is at the end of the day, it’s simply just not fair for the customers, and the worst part about it is that they don't even give any info about the situation of the module. For me it is a lack of respect for your customers, we need answers.

Edited by Aesirhunter
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/14/2020 at 7:37 PM, Hispanus said:

1. No, but the P47 is getting variants and much more love and I feel that paying the same amount of money for less content is not fair

anton deserves same attention and love as much as allied ones (especially p-47)

60$ price for one aircraft is not justified with this kind of quality

although it's functional and ED's flight model is unmatched

for me it worth 30$ but no more

i'm not gonna recommend anyone to buy this module with full price tag at this stage

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, noelgallagher said:

i'm not gonna recommend anyone to buy this module with full price tag at this stage

Not sure what is the problem of a Fw-190A-8... on fact, ED dont "promise" a F-8 o G-8 version.

• ED Team
6 minutes ago, noelgallagher said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on a two year old thread, the feedback is always welcome. I dont agree with you about the price, we do feel it is fair for the work we have put into it, but we also have many sales, currently 50% off for WWII fighters.

The anton was released in 2019 so is using older modelling techniques, as with older modules they certainly can show their age as new modules are realised with more detail like the P-47 which is a fantastic warbird. 

We do like to revisit our older modules, but only when time allows, so fingers crossed for the future. 

thanks

bignewy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

A8 is old agreed, but totally worth the price, you get a digital accurate representation of this plane like no other game or sim has ever done it.

We all want the version with more power, but still what we have is correctly modeled..

I think if we get an update , it would be very popular.

• Like 3

A8 is superbly done. FM, DM, survivability, everything. And it's been the most stable module out of all ww2 for the past 2 years.

I would love to get the G1 model, or whichever that allows for 2 x SC250's under wings and 1 x 500kg on the center line bomb rack.  Currently, with the single bomb + rockets one can do only so much damage in A2G, especially when bombing naval targets..

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 8:31 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

Not sure what is the problem of a Fw-190A-8... on fact, ED dont "promise" a F-8 o G-8 version.

i wasn't talking about lack of f,g8 version

i was talking about 

for ex:)1.you can use maximum power setting indefinitely without damaging your engine

2.unable to remove the outer wing guns

3.cluster bombs not working correctly

4.bomb fusing(this one is fixed lately)

ETC

again it is a great module overall

but at least to me it felt like it's not a finished and well polished module yet 

On 5/5/2023 at 8:36 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on a two year old thread, the feedback is always welcome. I dont agree with you about the price, we do feel it is fair for the work we have put into it, but we also have many sales, currently 50% off for WWII fighters.

The anton was released in 2019 so is using older modelling techniques, as with older modules they certainly can show their age as new modules are realised with more detail like the P-47 which is a fantastic warbird. 

We do like to revisit our older modules, but only when time allows, so fingers crossed for the future. 

thanks

bignewy

thank you for your response

much appreciated

Edited by noelgallagher

4 hours ago, noelgallagher said:

1.you can use maximum power setting indefinitely without damaging your engine

2.unable to remove the outer wing guns

3.cluster bombs not working correctly

4.bomb fusing(this one is fixed lately)

1. That's not exactly true. I keep flying a8 doing a2g runs and I'm always interested in how many sorties the bird will last without repairs. I can tell you that after 1hr of running it at maximum power, without the cooling down, it will eventually fail, maybe at 80 minutes, maybe even earlier. A8's bmw engine was bulletproof literally and figuratively. You can fly it without oil for good 30-40kms before it loses power, even though it will still continue to run. Comparing dcs a8's engine resiliency to other sims' timers and tricks is a bit short sighted.

2. I don't believe it was such an option for a8. You can't look at some extremely unique "reported" cases with a8 where the outer cannons were removed and think it was a common modification in the field. It wasn't. It's the same story with "why can't I set the gun convergence, it was an option during WW2!!!" No it wasn't, there were some very specific cases that talk about it, but they were all unicorns.

3. Cluster bombs work as well, but you can't release them too close to the ground. You need to be at 1.5 or 2k altitude, going about 450kmh, and release them while maintaining a horizontal flight path. It's extremely difficult to hit anything with them though because of it.

4. Yup, this was one of the biggest recent improvements in WW2, hooray to that!

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

1. That's not exactly true. I keep flying a8 doing a2g runs and I'm always interested in how many sorties the bird will last without repairs. I can tell you that after 1hr of running it at maximum power, without the cooling down, it will eventually fail, maybe at 80 minutes, maybe even earlier. A8's bmw engine was bulletproof literally and figuratively. You can fly it without oil for good 30-40kms before it loses power, even though it will still continue to run. Comparing dcs a8's engine resiliency to other sims' timers and tricks is a bit short sighted.

2. I don't believe it was such an option for a8. You can't look at some extremely unique "reported" cases with a8 where the outer cannons were removed and think it was a common modification in the field. It wasn't. It's the same story with "why can't I set the gun convergence, it was an option during WW2!!!" No it wasn't, there were some very specific cases that talk about it, but they were all unicorns.

3. Cluster bombs work as well, but you can't release them too close to the ground. You need to be at 1.5 or 2k altitude, going about 450kmh, and release them while maintaining a horizontal flight path. It's extremely difficult to hit anything with them though because of it.

4. Yup, this was one of the biggest recent improvements in WW2, hooray to that!

1.good to know that it wasn't a bug

thx for the explanation 😃

2.i wouldn't say that not being able to remove the outer wing cannon is such a big lack of feature

but it would have been nice to have that feature since DCS sells the aircraft individually 

i was expecting every possible varient to simulate a8

maybe i was expecting too much?

in my opinion it would have been better option for me to pay 120$ and get G/F 8 varient + all the other possible features(being able to remove the outer wing guns ETC)

3.i was talking about dispersion issue with cluster bomb

(ED said they are working on it now)

4.YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's awesome!!!!!!!!

have a nice day 🙃

28 minutes ago, noelgallagher said:

1.good to know that it wasn't a bug

thx for the explanation 😃

2.i wouldn't say that not being able to remove the outer wing cannon is such a big lack of feature

but it would have been nice to have that feature since DCS sells the aircraft individually 

i was expecting every possible varient to simulate a8

maybe i was expecting too much?

in my opinion it would have been better option for me to pay 120$ and get G/F 8 varient + all the other possible features(being able to remove the outer wing guns ETC)

3.i was talking about dispersion issue with cluster bomb

(ED said they are working on it now)

4.YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's awesome!!!!!!!!

have a nice day 🙃

2. All "posible variants" has no applicable, by lack of info available, resources, etc, remove internal weapons affect to Flight Model and repeat the G/F has build new aircrafts. 
3. cluster bomb dispersions, has no a problem from Fw-190, has a problem on the core.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

If they can make a guesswork on missile performance I can't see why making guesswork on removing/adding weapons of a known mass and drag would be that complicated (the performances can already change depending on the loadout, fuel, bombs, rocket...)  and there are performance chart/test about it. Same for R2 kit with wing 30mm (Mk108). I would like to point out that even with the data mistake happens, all warbirds had wrong armour values (it has been corrected fairly quickly by ED)null

The removal of outer guns was done at least in JG26 and probably JG2... which were based in Normandy... I think they kept the A8 in a more "fighter configuration" because they had to deal more with fighters than bombers, probably because of their locations.

In my opinion all possible variants for the A8 should be : 1) Option for the boost 2) Removal of wing guns 3) R2 kit with Mk108 instead of MG151 in outer wings 4) kit with additionnal armour around the pilot

The variants that aren't revelant for me : 1) Mk103 gun pod (prototype) 2) GM-1 no proof of it being used operationnaly 3) R11 kit which add a sort of autopilot and was the basis for Wilde Sau aircraft (some aircrafts even had radars), probably not many produced and not very useful either except if ED get intersted in night combat

And here is the weight data of the two gun configurations :

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1