My new DOF Reality 6 axis motion platform

Shack

Recently assembled a new 6 axis platform from DOF Reality …

Initial impressions when flying now in VR are OMG !

IMG-0145-1.jpg

IMG-0144.jpg

IMG-0143-1.jpg

IMG-0142.jpg

IMG-0141.jpg

IMG-0140.jpg

IMG-0139.jpg

IMG-0143-1.jpg

imghost

IMG-0151.jpg

IMG-0152.jpg

IMG-0153.jpg

IMG-0154.jpg

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Details? Video of the operation?

Did you run separate power? How long did it take you to assemble it?

Had to run two separate 20 amp circuits. Took about 4 hours to assemble. I’ll try to post videos of operation, till then they’re are plenty in YouTube under Dof reality H6 or P6.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had to run two separate 20 amp circuits.

I've had this on my x-mas list, but I think the 2 dedicated 20a circuits is a deal breaker in my current house. I wonder what the p3/h3 requirements are?

Anyway, interested in hearing more feedback when you have more time with it: response time, smoothness, noise, immersion factor, even if it helps with inner ear balance and VR...

I've had this on my x-mas list, but I think the 2 dedicated 20a circuits is a deal breaker in my current house. I wonder what the p3/h3 requirements are?

Anyway, interested in hearing more feedback when you have more time with it: response time, smoothness, noise, immersion factor, even if it helps with inner ear balance and VR...

Here are some DOF Reality platform videos in operation. https://dofreality.com/media/

Response time - Very good and customizable in the Sim Racing Tools software.

Noise - minimal. Not heard at all. These are electric motor actuator rods. Not as smooth as pneumatic actuators ( but those are Extremely loud every time they move ) and hyper expensive.

Immersion Factor is immense - especially when in VR. While in the VR world as you pitch roll or yaw, you feel it in as if you would in a real aircraft. Very realistic here ( retired airline pilot here with 35 years and lots of experience from where I can base my opinion from).

Inner ear balance - Not an issue, in fact I think the sense of movement, along with the visual VR cues, tend to REDUCE and not Increase Nausea.

This platform is a P6 with 6 axis DOF. There are other platforms where the electric power requirement is not as much.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fits right in with the decor! (Of a 70’s snuff film!)

Enjoy!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Shack,

Couple of questions, I see that you are using a HP REVERB, did you have to mess with motion cancelation or anything like that? Also you need two separate outlets each on a dedicated 20amp breaker? Thanks, again looks amazing!

Shack,

Couple of questions, I see that you are using a HP REVERB, did you have to mess with motion cancelation or anything like that? Also you need two separate outlets each on a dedicated 20amp breaker? Thanks, again looks amazing!

Hi,

No motion cancellation required for the reverb. Looks amazing as is. Catapult launches and landings are amazing. I launched my wife off in an F18 and I got the " holy cow" reaction .... :megalol: You definitely feel the carrier deck below you as you accelerate and the second the gear clears the carrier.

In terms of electrical power, yes I had to put both motion boxes on two separate 20 amp circuits as each box could draw a peak 15 amps causing my house breaker to trip.

By using two circuits of 20 amps, that shouldnt be an issue. Of course, it depends which platform you use as different boxes have different power requirements.

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow Wow Wow, amazing, this looks fantastic and 6000 bucks for this awesome machine sounds not so much for me, some guys spent more money for a watch, wish i can convince my wife that i upgrade my pit with this 6 dof :-)

no i dont, but a good hotas costs around 400 bucks so again 6000 for this machine sounds a fair price, if you try to build one yourself you see how expensive the parts are, i buid a gseat by myself and only the hardware costs 600 bucks but can not nearly compared to this great rig

How does the VR headset not react to the motion of the seat? i.e. how does it differentiate movement of your head versus movement of the seat?

Better explained than I can do ...

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow Wow Wow, amazing, this looks fantastic and 6000 bucks for this awesome machine sounds not so much for me, some guys spent more money for a watch, wish i can convince my wife that i upgrade my pit with this 6 dof :-)

A good ( 6 axis ) motion platform would be a minimum of about $15,000.

IMHO, the compromise between the cost for a motion based platform and a home based VR simulation experience makes DOF Reality platforms a good solution.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

I’m thoroughly enjoying flying this 6 DOF motion platform. Combined with VR, It’s the best home flying setup I’ve ever had.

However, as I’m going to be moving in 6 months ( along with the multitude of logistics involved ), in addition to my being overseas for long stretches of time, I’m considering the sale of this setup. If you may be interested, message me. It would be a local pickup only ( no shipping ) in the Orlando Florida area.

Price would be cost for the components shown in the photos above.

Interested parties PM me.

Shack.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Crazy to be selling it dude. I've just got mine, and can confirm the 20A is because you are on 110V in the US. In the UK or Europe, where we run 220V you'll only pull half the current so a normal domestic 13A outlet is fine to use.

My rig is still sat in it's box till I clear some space to set it up. DofR box these things up beautifully. It's almost a work of art in itself..

The steel parts are welded well, drilled squarely and the powder coating is first rate. Really lovely crackle finish.

I'm very impressed. Best part is you can start with a H3/P3 and upgrade later. The price is about the same for all or in two parts, except for postage which will cost you twice.

I went for the P6. My main problem is the seat interface, as I struggled with the fore/aft distance of the mounts. a 6mm alloy plate will solve that.

Running a Rift S I need some decent way of cancelling motion. Not sure it's as easy as the Reverb.

Clevo P775TM1-G laptop with 9900K and RTX2080. Airliner pilot by day and keen simmer on days off.

Mark.

OK you are living the dream!!

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

• 4 months later...