WMD-7 won't ground stabilize

laertesson

Tried from hot start and cold start, the TGP just won't track a single point on the ground (it just drifts), unless its in SLAV looking at a waypoint, and even then it jiggles around and won't stay exactly still.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, lock target and unlock target don't affect it, it never ground stabilizes

Ground stabilize only possible inside 40KM(21.5NM), when inside that range, SOI tgp, depress TDC, it will show AREA track and ground stabilize(will be masked by airframe).

If you are SOI other sensor and slave the TGP to that sensor(like the AG radar), it will not auto ground stabilized unless you doing so when SOI the TGP.

Deka Ironwork Tester Team

The modeling isn’t as high fidelity or is not finished. With WMD-7 you have distance based jitter, re focusing needed occasionally and the blur effect from it being unfocused. Tthere’s a few things it has that other pods don’t have in game, that is not becuase those other pods are superior necessarily, but that the litening in DCS has generally been a more simplified recreation in regards to things like jitter and re focusing

I’m sure ED will go all out on ATFLIR and eventually make litening just as well implemented, but that’s the case right now that WMD-7 has some limitations modeled that litening does not

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

The modeling isn’t as high fidelity or is not finished. With WMD-7 you have distance based jitter, re focusing needed occasionally and the blur effect from it being unfocused. Tthere’s a few things it has that other pods don’t have in game, that is not becuase those other pods are superior necessarily, but that the litening in DCS has generally been a more simplified recreation in regards to things like jitter and re focusing

I’m sure ED will go all out on ATFLIR and eventually make litening just as well implemented, but that’s the case right now that WMD-7 has some limitations modeled that litening does not

This.

Basically, our pod is more accurate/has accurate limitations.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

I understand that, but that doesn’t explain why it can’t hold an area track for me. It just drifts along the ground.

I find that happens to me some times, The fact it doesn’t ground stabilise if I’m within 21nm is always triggers me to set air to ground, always sorts it out for me

The limitation is likely that the rotational resolution is just not good enough for that far away, and that is designed to work within that 21nm range as a compromise of where you would use it the most. With the zoom it has, even a modern 3 axis gimbal can only be so precise

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

WMD7 need laser ranging to ground stabilize, so you can see the LSR often pops out.

40KM is the max range for laser ranging, so it can only get stabilize within that range.

so it doesnt have the area track functionality based on comparing image? 20nm is somewhat limiting. :joystick:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

I don’t know about targeting pods but I think the Su-27 laser is limited to like 7.5km. And contrast scene matching is in POINT mode, so that’s when that is possible, which in my experience also has a 21nm limit needing the laser, however it is very hard hard to hit anything that isn’t huge from that range with the laser

After the latest updates, although you can designate a target unfortunately the TGP doesn't LOCK (make point). Anyone else having this issue?

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

WMD7 need laser ranging to ground stabilize, so you can see the LSR often pops out.

40KM is the max range for laser ranging, so it can only get stabilize within that range.

I do not know how the real one works obviously but is it not that laser is used only for identifying range on screen (I know it is also used for weapons)? Should it not be possible to lock onto the hotspots and image patterns with low accuracy like NATO varients?

The camera can see objects like massive ships and other patterns so it should be able to lock to it from farther range.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms ¦ Persian Gulf

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

I do not know how the real one works obviously but is it not that laser is used only for identifying range on screen (I know it is also used for weapons)? Should it not be possible to lock onto the hotspots and image patterns with low accuracy like NATO varients?

The camera can see objects like massive ships and other patterns so it should be able to lock to it from farther range.

Sorry to tell you, no game use real image patterns for optic sensors,

all use magic object/area lock.

Sorry to tell you, no game use real image patterns for optic sensors,

all use magic object/area lock.

Image pattern recognition in RL is also done through code. It is not some machenical or analogue process.

Using laser is more accurate but the underlying technology is not some magic. It all depends on how it is set up in this game.

I am asking, is the technology available with WMD-7 as the Litening pod currently behaves like it has this tech.

For the sake of game, they obviously dont want all the processing power to be used up by it so they found the magic method.

Maybe WMD-7 simply does not have the tech and I am alright with that. I just wanted a simple answer. Maybe this question is too close to spywork and wont be answered so in that case I understand as well.

Current Hangar : A-10C II ¦ AJS-37 ¦ A/V-8B ¦ F-14A/B ¦ F/A-18C ¦ FC3 ¦ JF-17 ¦ Ka-50 III ¦ Mi-8 ¦ M2000-C ¦ SA342 ¦ UH-1H

Image pattern recognition in RL is also done through code. It is not some machenical or analogue process.

Using laser is more accurate but the underlying technology is not some magic. It all depends on how it is set up in this game.

I am asking, is the technology available with WMD-7 as the Litening pod currently behaves like it has this tech.

For the sake of game, they obviously dont want all the processing power to be used up by it so they found the magic method.

Maybe WMD-7 simply does not have the tech and I am alright with that. I just wanted a simple answer. Maybe this question is too close to spywork and wont be answered so in that case I understand as well.

In RL, yes WMD-7 use image pattern to lock/stabilize.

In fact, it will require x of xxx lines to identify/track target, an easy and very conventional way.

In RL, yes WMD-7 use image pattern to lock/stabilize.

In fact, it will require x of xxx lines to identify/track target, an easy and very conventional way.

Thank you for your explanation. When that is mixed with turbulance, it makes sense to sometimes lose accurate tracking so a laser is required to compensate. Since laser has a limited range, longer than 40km range will not give the best tracking, especially if lost focus.

ED has a lot to do to get their pod up to date.

• 1 month later...

EDIT: ive finally narrowed it down to a binding issue, not a WMD7 issue. When I lock target using the keyboard, or my Warthog throttle, it works. But I cannot lock target using my Warthog stick. At least the nightmare is somewhat solved. It looks like it was just some very complicated double bindings, and I will have to delete my config folder. It's incredibly annoying because if I press the button in adjust controls, it says its bound to lock target, but doesnt work in game.

Edited by laertesson