Thrustmaster Cougar TQS - Speed/DGFT switch mod

Scuby

attachment.php?attachmentid=201891&stc=1&d=1547243777

Hi all!

I have just finished this mod about one hour ago!

The Speedbrake switch appears more easy to mod, because it can be rotated more freely internally compared to the Dogfight/Missle Override switch. You'll kill two birds with one stone here:

1. by re-aligning the button axis with the actual switch axis inside, you'll prevent wear and ultimately failure of the plastic housing (that stiffness you mentioned is a precursor for damage) (see how it is done here: http://www.cougar.flyfoxy.com/mods.php#speedbrake),

2. the entire switch (incl. button and housing) needs to be more naturally aligned with your left hand tumb as per RL angles of the F-16 TQS. This mod required a 45 degree rotation of the entire switch to the left, and cutting its plastic housing so it would fit the internal mask again.

The Dogfight/Missle Override actual switch is more limited to rotate due to two metal braces internally keeping it in an undesired position. Still, just like the Speedbrake switch I managed to align the button axis as much as possible with the actual switch, and was able to rotate the entire switch "about 15-20 degrees" right. The button axis now comes close to being perpendicular to the left hand tumb.

All feels a lot more natural now and more correct to operate compared to default switch angles of the TM Cougar TQS. I'd recommend every owner to at least consider this Speedbrake mod.

Also, I removed the entire detent plate in the base, the Z-axis movement is silent now and also a lot more accurate in 3D! Though, without detents I'll have to watch my FF more now for that AB kicking in :music_whistling:

Inspecting the TQS, Speedbrake and Override switches all the way on the left:

1.jpg

Close up of the Speedbrake (lower) and Override switch (upper):

2.jpg

Cutting the plastic housing so it fits the mask at the intended alignment:

3.jpg

The result with only the Speedbrake switch re-aligned:

4.jpg

The result with both Speedbrake and Dogfight/Missle Override switches re-aligned:

5.jpg

Real TQS versus my modded Cougar TQS:

6.jpg

*Note: the TM Couger TQS is not a perfect 1:1 replica of the RL F-16 TQS, so actual switch angles may differ (and they do :) )

Edited by Scuby
  • Like 1

| AMD RYZEN 5900X | INNO3D RTX 4080 ICHILL | G.SKILL 3200-C14 32GB | ASUS X570-E GAMING | LG 27GP850 2K/QHD |
| TM HOTAS COUGAR | VPC WARBRD BASE | MFG CROSSWIND V2 | G.TRIX JETSEAT KW908 | HP REVERB G2 |

YouTube: ScubyFlying