ButtonBox F/A-18C

Rapti

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of designing a ButtonBox for the F/A-18C.

What functions should the box have in your opinion.

What I have planned so far:

Middle:

- UFC

Right:

- Caution Lights

- Ejection Handle

- Hook

- Canopy

- Wing Fold

Left:

- Handbrake

- Dispenser

- Master Arm

- A/A

- A/G

- Jettison

- LaunchBar

- Flaps

- Gear

- Master Cauton Light

what else?

- Console / Inst Pnl / Flood brigthness?

- Dispenser?

what doesn't make sense?

ButtonBox1.thumb.JPG.1efb6d93608f744ccbc8902eb06c91a5.JPG

ButtonBox2.thumb.JPG.b6ab45b531ce3ddaaa7106e34b0d01f7.JPG

Have you considered selective jettision + station select?

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I'd recommend going through the checklist and listing In order what switches are used to start, taxi and takeoff. Obviously Some are more important than others...you need the gear handle during critical phases of flight...

Then do the same for weapons employment A/A & A/G. The HOTAS provided a lot of functionality as far as combat goes.

but you can increase or pare down the switches based on procedures rather than opinion...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Laser, LSTC and TGP control, radar and INS rotaries, NVG and torch.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Its a button on a self made button box. Im usind DCS-BIOS to communicate with DCS and ardunuo

Some of them can't be accessed via DCS-BIOS. I recall reading that only the clickable cockpit controls were included in DCS-BIOS.

You'll probably need something like a Bodnar board to connect the switches as a "joystick" to DCS.

Then, if it needs a keyboard entry, software like joy2key can interpret joystick buttons as keyboard commands, including modifier keys and repeating.

e.g. the eject commands are keyboard only, and need to be repeated 3 times in a short period.

I figured out Joy2key, can auto-repeat Lctrl+E at a rate high enough to trigger DCS to eject.

Some of them can't be accessed via DCS-BIOS. I recall reading that only the clickable cockpit controls were included in DCS-BIOS.

You'll probably need something like a Bodnar board to connect the switches as a "joystick" to DCS.

Then, if it needs a keyboard entry, software like joy2key can interpret joystick buttons as keyboard commands, including modifier keys and repeating.

e.g. the eject commands are keyboard only, and need to be repeated 3 times in a short period.

I figured out Joy2key, can auto-repeat Lctrl+E at a rate high enough to trigger DCS to eject.

Thanks, i will try it with a bodnar board

I've been using a bodnar board for my project, the two big issues are the USB type B plug which is very large and and length to a project and the matrix wiring for switches can be a pest to work with if you are short on space. if you can work with that its great.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

cw1.png

I've been using a bodnar board for my project, the two big issues are the USB type B plug which is very large and and length to a project and the matrix wiring for switches can be a pest to work with if you are short on space. if you can work with that its great.

There's a breakout matrix board available for the BU0836A:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=274&zenid=3e26b42fb713cbfa71022bcb96b99934

Yeah thematrix isnt the end of the world, theres just a lot of cable at the end of it if you are working in a confined space.

cw1.png

Hi Rapti great design, thanks for the inspiration will try to build it with a cheap used programmable keyboard and the boadnar board, i think it fits great to my a10 vr pit and i can change the a10 ufc with this one when i will flight he hornet

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just completed a button box based on this -

and adapted the code for use with a £16 Teensy board. Works great - 12 push-buttons, 5 on-off-on momentary switches, 4 rotary encoders all on a matrix wiring system - good for improving your soldering skills

• 1 month later...