F-5E Tiger II Landing Gear assigned to HOTAS toggle switch

Murdok123

Personally, I like to assign landing gear operation to a switch that physically shows whether the gear is Up or Down, sort of like looking at the gear handle position in the cockpit.

I use the Path, Alt/Hdg, Alt switch on the Warthog throttle quadrant.

"Landing Gear Up" assigned to "Path" position, and "Landing Gear Down" assigned to the "Alt" position. Adds a little more tactile immersion for me to reach over there and physically move that switch to the up or down position, and, hear the "click"!

You probably want your joystick software to macro hit the gear up or gear down keyboard command once upon actuation of the switch. Otherwise the game will see the key or stick button held down constantly in either position.

If you just want to use 1 button for both Up & Down, use the "L/G WRN Silence" button on the Warthog throttle quadrant, i.e., Button 21. Each time you push that button, the landing gear will cycle up or down. Make that button assignment in the DCS Controls Menu.

{ down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Lever - SWITCH'),        category = {_('Instrument Panel'), _('HOTAS')}},
{ down = iCommandPlaneGearDown, up = iCommandPlaneGearUp, name = _('Landing Gear Lever - REVERSE SWITCH'),   category = {_('Instrument Panel'), _('HOTAS')}},

Should work for SPST switches (like the APU switch on the TM warthog throttle).

Use the first line if you want to retract gear when you press the button, use the second one if you want to extend gear when the switch is "pressed".

"Wait... What ? How ?"

-> "down = " gives the command that is sent to the plane when you "press" the physical button/switch on your device.

-> "up = " gives the command that is sent to the plane when you "release" the physical button/switch on your device.

Feel free to rename the command, but don't forget the quote marks/apostrophes.

"Pressed, released ? What if I use a switch ?"

On your desktop, press the windows key + R, and type "joy.cpl". Open your joystick properties. A "pressed" key will be bright red.

You probably want your joystick software to macro hit the gear up or gear down keyboard command once upon actuation of the switch. Otherwise the game will see the key or stick button held down constantly in either position.

As long as you only use joystick buttons (no fancy keyboard mappings with TARGET), this is not an issue.

Edited by Clorydric

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Many thanks for the quick reply. I want to assign the gear UP/DOWN command to switch 16 (ENG L) on my HOTAS quadrant but as I am not computer literate I am not sure where in your .lua amendment I should refer to that particular switch. Appreciate your help again.

Regards,

Murdok.

Many thanks for the quick reply. I want to assign the gear UP/DOWN command to switch 16 (ENG L) on my HOTAS quadrant but as I am not computer literate I am not sure where in your .lua amendment I should refer to that particular switch. Appreciate your help again.

Regards,

Murdok.

In the f-5 lua, search for "gear" and insert a new line after one of the landing gear handle lines. Then copy/paste the first line of code I wrote there .

Don't forget the comma at the end of line.

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index