Computer upgrade purchase

So I am looking to upgrade my computer. The problem i have right now is that my current motherboard can not take more then 16GB of memory. and i really want to get 32 GB at least. So i figured if i am going to upgrade the motherboard i may as well upgrade the processor as i believe that is my bottleneck on most games in VR. my current specs are as follows and then i have a picture of what i am thinking of buying on Amazon. and i just want to get some input before i make the jump.

current specs are:

Intel I7-7700 (not the K)

16 gigs of ram

H110 motherboard-seems there was a variant of this that had 4 slots for memory, mine does not

RTX 2070 ( i just upgraded to this card from a GTX 1060

what i am looking to upgrade too is attached but in a nut shell its

ASUS TUF gaming x570 motherboard

AMD ryzen 7 3700X 8-core/16 thread

G.skill 32 GB 3600 16-19-19-39

these three things togeather will run me about 615.00 US dollars which im sure there will be tax on there so probably 700 total.

am i about to make at least a major upgrade from what i have? i know that the processor has got to be way better then i have, and being this board will take up to 128 gigs of ram i should be golden for awhile. just looking for others input that may no a little more then me. i am really not trying to break the bank here just want more ram and a better CPU for VR.

EDIT: so I think I have decided to go with a I7-10700, MSI Z490 gaming edge motherboard and 32 gigs of crucial balistic 3200 ram. i was going to go with 3600 ram but the timimgs that Crucial has is 16-18-18-38 ang its the exact same for the 3200 and the 3200 is cheaper. I dont plan on ever overclocking the CPU anyhow so paying the extra 200 dollars for the 10700XF is not what i need.

computerupgrade.thumb.PNG.e468b1eac121b961389b665ee91aa798.PNG

Edited by Sirbum

Actually, the i7700 is not a weak processor for DCS, its single core passmark rating is 2,470 .. the processor you want, the 3700X has a SC passmark of 2,690 ... higher, but not really something that would justify the expense.

The better benchmarks of the Ryzen are on multi-core apps, because it has twice as many as the 7700 ... but DCS couldn't care less about how many cores you have.

Also, AMD own Ryzen 3600 has almost the same SC passmark: 2,580 and is much cheaper because it has only 6 cores instead of 8.

If I were on your shoes, I would hold a bit on replacing the Motherboard/processor .. just upgrade the RAM and save those $$ for a future GPU upgrade.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

yes i am on ssd but i struggle to get 40 FPS on lower settings. generally its locked on ASW with the rift s. and DCS is not the only game i play. Others i play need the ram.

as for the GPU, i dont plan on upgrading that anytime soon lol. i just paid 600 for that 2 months ago.

If you decide to go with the new motherboard and CPU I'd suggest you get RAM with better timings to go with it (3600 16-16-16-XX for example).

In for a penny...

RE: 32GB it's worth doing if you are using the Channel Map - it's BIG in memory.

i agree with the better timing on the ram. i just wasnt able to find any better then what i showed on the picture right now that was 3600. from what i hear with the processor unless you use 3600 your not getting the full potential. but i know that 3200 with lower timing is faster then 3600 with higher.

and on DCS i play all maps

I don't think a 3700x would be much of an upgrade in DCS for you. It's a huge upgrade overall, but since DCS only cares about 1 CPU core, the performance uplift will be marginal and might actually be a downgrade if you had an overclocked 7700k. As such, I recommend an i5-10600k or an i7-9xxxk. The 10600k is in your price range and should offer a pretty decent performance uplift in both DCS and in general. It is critically important to get a k model though, don't even think about a non-k. For that Ryzen will probably be better.

The advice I'm giving here is exclusively for DCS and IL2. For nearly everything else, Ryzen is as good or better than anything Intel offers. We just happen to be the exception to the rule here.

My system: i5-10600k (5.0Ghz, 4.6Ghz Ring), RTX 2080 Super, 16GB DDR4 3200 CL14. In VR I mostly get 80 FPS with the Rift S, but it does drop to the 40's or somewhere between when at low altitude or in a big mission. Generally medium graphics settings with 1.0 Pixel Density. More pixel density would drop performance under 80 fps due to GPU bottleneck. I do have shadows on (low).

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

@beasty and that is my only thing, DCS is not the only game i play. i actually play a lot of different games. so i wouldnt be upgrading only for this one. i just figured more people would know if what i am looking to get would actually be an upgrade to what i have right now.

i believe processor wise my mother board will only accept up to 8700 i think it is. i know it would take the 7700K but i really think if i am going to upgrade i may as well upgrade to a motherboard i can later on upgrade. this one is just so not upgradeable (is that a word ).

i know my mother board wont except the new 10600 as i don't believe those are 1151 sockets are they? which in turns means i would have to upgrade the motherboard anyhow.

I play a variety of games too. I can say the 10600k runs them all just fine and the bottleneck in most is the RTX 2080 Super. The same would be true of a Ryzen 5 3600x. But since you are on this forum and you specifically mentioned VR, I think Intel is worth serious consideration. With that said, I think DCS in VR might be the only place where you'd be disappointed with a Ryzen CPU. They are great and I'm slowly getting my office on them as the old intel laptops die. But DCS is that oddball thing where overclocking the snot out of an intel is generally the way to go. Trying to make that jump from 40 fps to 80 fps is a game of the tiniest single thread performance gains. And intel still rules that area, though by ever decreasing margins.

In any case, if you do go the Ryzen route, plan on swapping that baby out for a 4000 chip next winter. The 4000's might finally overtake intel in single thread performance. They already out perform them on a per clock basis, the only shortcoming is the clock speed. If they get anything like the IPC boost they are claiming (no reason to doubt), then they should overtake intel and have a 4GHz Ryzen out performing an intel at 5 GHz in single thread. But that's speculation right now.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

@beasty So you think a I5 10600KF would be considered a major upgrade from what i have now? i only say that because i am not opposed to Intel, i was only thinking AMD because they are cheaper generally. Like i said i have an intel now it just is not a K and for the past 3 weeks the fan on it is constantly going max and then off and back to max.

But if the I5 10600KF is that much of an upgrade over my current then i can look at boards that will except that one and allow me more ram as well.