Foggy Canopy

Shahriar0

After upgrading to 2.5.6.50979 Open Beta, I have noticed that in a pitch black night when I change my view from cockpit to map and then back to cockpit, then I see the canopy fog up for about 4 to 5 seconds before it goes back to dark (and it happens in two steps, first less bright and then dark as it should.)

This is most noticeable in pitch dark nights, but it likely happens in other times too with less intensity.

Also, this happens only in VR, and every single time regardless of how many times I switch my view from cockpit to map and back.

This issue happens to multiple airplanes as well (I have tried F-14, F-5 and MIG-29.) In the case of MIG-29, the mirrors are weirdly bright during those seconds (see the attached image.)

Thanks.

12148459_FoggyCanopy.thumb.png.5bc87347c618484ff707fb98e9b69491.png

Well, it actually goes beyond canopy. I was flying at night over land in the northern part of Persian Gulf map and when I went to map view and back, the entire terrain became lit, like infrared images, for a few seconds before the scene went dark.

I would now call this severely broken and immersion killer. Hope it will be addressed soon.

Thanks.

Edit: Added an image to show the effect.

Screen_200621_205200.thumb.png.d8b1dcb176c13b656cdfedadc35f8fce.png

Edited by Shahriar0

I've got this ALL the time at night in my Pimax Vision 8K Plus, and also have it my Oculus Rift, but I don't have it if I switch to my HTC Vive...

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to report that in the 2.5.6.52196 release, while this issue was not entirely fixed, but the negative impact of it has been greatly reduced.

The transition from F10 map back to the dark cockpit now is about 2-3 seconds long, and the terrain outside does not turn into that ghostly surface-of-the-moon type look. The fog on the canopy is still there but less noticeable.

At this point, this is tolerable to me and does not totally break the immersion. Obviously we will take any further improvement if it comes our way.

Thanks.

I have an Oculus S. When I go to map and back to cockpit. It's fog but it changes with head position relative to the horizon. You can see the horizontal fog line change by raising and lowering your head as you go from f10 to cockpit. It doesnt disappear though.

WIN10-64 HOME Ryzen9 3900x 4.0GHZ, 32GB DDR4, RX6800xt, 1TSSD  Reverb G2, F-14 Simpit (WIP)

Virpil Collective 60 head, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals, TM MFDs, 5 Leo Bodnar boards.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having this too - I am so confused. I had a very hard time doing Mission 2 of Georgian War in F-15C in the night. I had to pump gamma to max to see stuff and what is this foggish thing around my canopy?

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

• 6 months later...

New to DCS world, but very excited to get started!!!!!

I was so excited after spending a few thousands on my PC and getting my HP Rev G2 VR Headset with latest Version of DCS, 2.5.6.61527.1. 

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10850K 10/20 3.60GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 20MB Cache LGA1200

VIDEO: GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X (Ampere) [VR Ready] (Single Card)

HDD: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3500/3300 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 600/550k [+174] (Single Drive)

Flying F-16C over Persian Gulf at night.

Switched from Cockpit to Map, all looked great.  I switched back to Cockpit, ended up with Negative space all over, on Mars, for some seconds.  After a few seconds back to normal display!

Screen refresh is relative to the terrain, more Land longer refresh vs Sea, UP TO 5 SENCONDS!!  Off course TOO BRIGHT for the eye before refresh is complete.

How long will it be before this OLD BUG is fixed!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The very first thing I tested in 2.7.0.4625 was this issue. I am extremely happy to report that this problem is no longer present. Going to Map view and back to cockpit at night time does not produce those surface-of-the-moon-type textures before reloading the proper textures, as it was the case prior to 2.7.0.

Many thanks to ED for finally taking care of this.