Realsimulator F-18CGRH is available for preorder

So my Virpil CM2 base + 200mm extension tube came in. I had initial difficulty trying to connect the tube to the base until I realized that the cable from the tube can be pulled out a bit. This way the cable goes in first, then the tube can be safely screwed in to avoid pin damage.

For Realsim F/A-18 grip connection, I removed the two tiny screws on the top part of the extension tube to unfix the cable--again the cable can be pulled out a bit for easy connection. This way the grip can be rotated freely, prior to screwing it in tightly. Once this is done, it's pretty much trouble-free operation. I didn't even have to touch Virpil's software.

The base is built like a tank and definitely looks and feels like a step-up compared to my WarBRD and modified Warthog base. It is probably going to end up being the favorite base for my Realsim grips. I'm just using the default cams/springs so far and in general the tension seems to be pretty good.

I'm still not used to flying with a long extension tube like this, but it feels pretty good having a longer throw on the stick (kinda like the long throw on Winwing's throttle compared to the Warthog). Since tension is adjustable in real-time without opening up the base, I plan to play with this later on to achieve a tighter control. For now at the default base config, I use 20% curve for pitch and roll with 2% deadzone for the Hornet.

Edit:

Did some Hornet AAR practices, and it seems to give me better fine control especially near the center compared to the WarBRD. It is a bit easier (not much) for me to maintain connection after contact. The stick with long extension does oscillate a bit when release to the center, but not as crazy as my WarBRD. The pretension adjustment is real nice, and is a big deal for me taking merely a few seconds to do without opening up the base..

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you're happy with it... I find it to work very well.

I've finally gotten my cockpit put together and functional... so I'm organizing the photos I took and getting ready to post a thread in the Home Cockpits forum.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Sadly, I am unable to use my extension with the grip....who made your extension? The Sahaj one I ordered does not have enough turned thread to securely tighten the extension into the locking collar on the Real simulator grip.....

I am also having some issues getting the grip installed within windows/ realsim software, see thread I posted on their forums.

Hopefully will be able to resolve both issues soon....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I have two extension tubes. The newest one is from Virpil 200 mm. My old one is around 100 mm bought from eBay. No attachment issue with Realsim grips.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Sadly, I am unable to use my extension with the grip....who made your extension? The Sahaj one I ordered does not have enough turned thread to securely tighten the extension into the locking collar on the Real simulator grip.....

I am also having some issues getting the grip installed within windows/ realsim software, see thread I posted on their forums.

Hopefully will be able to resolve both issues soon....

If you look at the grip's bottom/aluminum part, there's a small hole in the front compartment. I believe that might fit a small M3 or M4 screw, which should help secure the grip against your extension tube. Otherwise, I'd recommend a Virpil's extension tube.

Edit:

I double checked, it's M4 setscrew that would fit there.

Edited by Supmua

Hi, can you tell me how you have your configured and installed? like you I want to use only the button functions via bluetooth ( I presume this is what you are doing?) Check my thread on their forums for more details....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Posted in the RS thread, but I'd also suggest the Virpil extension. It causes no issues with either of my RS grips.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Hi, can you tell me how you have your configured and installed? like you I want to use only the button functions via bluetooth ( I presume this is what you are doing?) Check my thread on their forums for more details....

I assume that you've already established BT/BLE connection.

--Bind pitch and roll axis inputs in DCS settings in the Warthog base column.

--Bind button inputs in DCS settings via the Realsim device columns (there will be two since there're a lot of available DX buttons, and this is so windows game controller would recognize them all). Most buttons input will be in one column, the rest including center click as well as extra side-way switches will be in the second column. The primary device column is typically the one with axis input, but you can also pick a column and just press a button to see if it registers.

--Use POV mode in RS app setting instead of TRIM and only bind up down left right in DCS settings, to avoid accidental diagonal TRIM inputs.

Thanks Supmua, I think connection is established, but possibly some issues......

If using the Virpil base, are you able to use the full range of options like the NASA rate etc on the grip? Or just the full button functionality?

With the possible bluetooth issues, the fact I am unable to get the extension I have brought to work on the grip and the likely lack of support from RS team on the bluetooth side, I can see myself not using this grip.....Do you think they will accept a return? Even now its sitting in its case and the TM version being used instead......

Functionality that is exclusive to the FSSB base is not going to apply to Virpil or other bases.

You’ll have to contact RS team directly about the return. They’re on vacation but it doesn’t hurt to email them now.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, the latest Windows update introduces some detection issues with Bluetooth devices. If your stick doesn't get detected by Windows you can force it to re-pair by pressing SCS center + RECCE center simultaneously.