Realsimulator F-18CGRH is available for preorder

RS grip left at 7:20 but MT cockpit still in Ohio if tracking is at all accurate.

It wouldn’t make sense for them not to be on the same plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A thing of beauty especially on the MonsterTech. Lazy question has anyone developed a key command profile for DCS, or IL-2 BOS for the F18.

I also did an inspection on my grip and found the same casting defect in the same location. I do not think the area is highly stressed as it is not subject to much force, that said don't know what the inside looks like.

1938155716_IMG_3486(1).jpeg.7e52bd4df90db621c9936f063ca4eac6.jpeg

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

The mounting nut from RealSimulator differs from Thrustmaster in that is includes for a sleeve. This does not fit over extension tubes for the Thrustmaster grip, at least the ones from Sahaj and MFG. Have contacted Sahaj to see if he can alter the design of the extension to suit

IMG_3481.jpeg.59941deb25af33a121d723ca857c3bec.jpeg

IMG_3483.jpeg.bf42c4e4afa614fcf9f5d116a3b11c23.jpeg

IMG_3485.jpeg.586cd7a7e7d166f33c19fbd9be69c678.jpeg

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

My F16SGRH fits on the Virpil 200mm extension... I don’t see why this would be any different.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I had a short Email conversation with Realsimulator and they told me, that all/most of the grips have these little casting defects around the weapon select switch, more or less. They also assured me that this is in no way a stressed part and i shouldn't be worried. Reading a lot about their superb customer support, i doubt that they would lie to me.

I'm still a bit worried about the trigger. It's not realy a deal breaker, i'm just not sure if this is as it should be. Hard to describe. I also figured out some issues with the weapons select switch. Pressing right easily ignites aft as well. It seems as pressing aft has a pretty large angle of activation, pressing right a pretty small one. Dunno if that's an issue, or if i just need to get used to it. I'm still not sure about keeping it, or asking for a replacement. I think i'll wait for the BLE dongle and then see what i'll be doing...

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Realsimulator F-18CGRH is available for preorder

I had a short Email conversation with Realsimulator and they told me, that all/most of the grips have these little casting defects around the weapon select switch, more or less. They also assured me that this is in no way a stressed part and i shouldn't be worried. Reading a lot about their superb customer support, i doubt that they would lie to me.

I'm still a bit worried about the trigger. It's not realy a deal breaker, i'm just not sure if this is as it should be. Hard to describe. I also figured out some issues with the weapons select switch. Pressing right easily ignites aft as well. It seems as pressing aft has a pretty large angle of activation, pressing right a pretty small one. Dunno if that's an issue, or if i just need to get used to it. I'm still not sure about keeping it, or asking for a replacement. I think i'll wait for the BLE dongle and then see what i'll be doing...

Record a video clip of the trigger? My unit doesn’t seem to have any activation issue on testing last night (I spent hours), but keep in mind that these hat switches are rotated a bit to match the real grip so aft direction is not always at 180 degree.

I’m still not used to the trigger detention which requires significant squeeze but I’m sure will adapt.

If you’re not completely satisfied just ask for a replacement unit or money back. Mine has been great so far and I wouldn’t use anything else to fly the Hornet and Harrier.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

My F16SGRH fits on the Virpil 200mm extension... I don’t see why this would be any different.

I have used the prereleased grip with a 150mm TM extension (from UK guy on ebay), no fitting issue.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Just got off the phone with DHL after waiting 32 minutes.

The stick grip is coming today.

The first cockpit shipment is still in Cincinnati because the plane was overloaded. They will contact me back within 2 hours to let me know if it’s still coming today (I doubt it).

The second cockpit shipment has already arrived in Cincinnati and has been cleared by customs, and is scheduled for Thursday.

If they were to actually try and deliver the first shipment today (far fetched, I know) they should do the second one too. If not, at this point, I’d almost expect them to deliver both at the same time.

Head scratcher.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Got the grip. First part of cockpit tomorrow, second part on Thursday.

No dimple by weapon selector switch.

cc30cface8053732777d7c33da69bda6.jpg

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Here is my trigger video. Note the popping sound when trigger 2 is activated. I've tried gun strafing, firing missiles, etc. It is definitely different from what I'm used to with extra force required, no chance of accidental firing for sure.

https://streamable.com/32wf32

Edited by Supmua

Haven't programmed anything yet, but first thoughts on the undesignate button:

Push: Undesignate

Up: Paddle

Down: VR Center

Left: VR Spyglass

Right: VR Zoom

I chose the pinky for that because I can still operate the trigger and the pickle at the same time. Anyone else have thoughts on that matter?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

What I've been doing.

Bind F1-10 key inputs (for comm) to side switches that normally doesn't have any function in the real plane. For example, WPRL side switches would be F1-F4. However, I put it in memory slot 2 so I cannot accidentally activate it during important gameplay. I set Trigger 1 as a shift switch to mem slot 2, alternatively flipping memory slot dial also works.

There are numerous things, in various combinations, that you can do when you have crazy amount of DX inputs and 8 memory slots. Then there's macro. Think about macros that for example would set up your plane for carrier landing (hook down, Antiskid off, LDDI HUD, RDDI FCS, etc.) or takeoff (Stab trim 16, Flaps middle, Antiskid off, Wings out, Seat armed, ALTIM uncaged, etc.).

Since I only install the center AMPCD panel in my set up, my side-mounted FSSB/F-16 is used to control L and R DDI. Or sometimes mouse click is just as quick. I actually prefer mouse click in VR since I can do it faster than fumbling to press the right switch.

What would've been perfect for me would be the addition of the F-18 right panel from TekCreation. It is on my wishlist for later this year or next year depending on how much I spend on my kids.

Edited by Supmua

I have the TekCreatIons F-16 ICP, and have the Hornet UFC and HUD panels on order.

I don’t plan on getting any side panels... for that I’ll use PointCTRL.

I tend not to want to put too much stuff on the HOTAS that complicates things, but good idea with the memory slots and comms. I’ll have to give that some thought.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Starting to take shape. I’m taking a lot of pictures... will start a thread in Home Cockpits later.

0946c22389159c5ddcb5642a02feca3e.jpg

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Starting to take shape. I’m taking a lot of pictures... will start a thread in Home Cockpits later.

This looks perfect for... Star Wars Squadrons :thumbup:

WOW!!! That's Really Sweat...that chair L@@KS Top Notch...Very Comphy!!:smilewink: Maybe the Best Quality I've seen!!

Patrick

mini.gif

Hey bud,I had those same issues with Weapons Selector Switch via Windows Devices....But once I installed on my R3 Lighting Base movements were clean and crisp....maybe once you get your stick set up via Bluetooth this will be the case for you as well? Hopefully:thumbup:

Patrick

mini.gif

So i used and tested the grip for a few days now and decided to keep it for now. It's kind of a mixed satisfaction as i'm used to the harder to press TM buttons and have to admit i like that, but i definately fell in love with the F-18CGRH. My trigger sounds a bit different than in the video Supmua uploaded, but i don't want to bug them because of one issue after another, wich propably aren't issues at all. I will keep an eye on it and if there are any issues, i'll get in touch with Realsimulator again. I'm not worried about future customer support if anything goes wrong. Maybe it only needs to wear in a bit, but after almost a week of using it for several hours/day(i'm on holidays :D), i almost don't recognise it anymore. Other than the highly sensitve weapons select switch. This will take some more time for me to get used to it. But i guess that's just how it is and i can live with it. Overall the grip is definately worth the money.

I finally recieved my BLE dongle today. I ordered the CSR dongle Supmua suggested, but recieved an email later it was out of stock with unkown restock date. Annoyed me a bit as it was stated in stock when i ordered it. So studied the Realsimulator forum for reliable BLE devices and ended up with the ASUS BT400 dongle, as it seems to be one of the most reliable ones. Installation of the grip was a walk in the park and the connection seems to be stable. Just flew a 2 hour mission including AAR, BVR A-A, WVR A-A, A-G as well as carrier t/o and landing. No connection issues so far, i think/hope the ASUS dongle will to it. The weapon select switch sensitvity didn't change after connecting the grip via BLE module, but as i said, that's peanuts. Gamecontroller setup shows 2 F-18CGRH home devices (as mentioned in the user guide). What confuses me a bit is that on one device some buttons don't work, wich then work on the second device and vice versa. I guess i'll have to get a bit further into the user guide and the RS_HID tool. That will be a good read for the weekend. So far, i'm absolutely happy with the grip and don't regret my purchase in any way. The F-16SGRH is definately on my list, propably a SGLH version as well for playing Star Citizen.

Now i'm not sure if i should keep my TM Hornet grip as a backup, or put it on ebay. I doubt i'll ever need it, but maybe production ends someday and they'll get valued (see TM Cougar HOTAS now). Not sure if that's an option. On the other hand i'm thinking about people that purchase their flight sim stuff on a limited budget. My TM grip is in perfect condition and i purchased it with a 2 year additional warranty, so has ~3 years warranty left in total. Unlike laying around catching dust, selling it for a reasonable price might make someone else very happy i guess. What do you guys do with your obsolete TM Hornet grips? Keep it or sell it?

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Windows game controller only displays 32 DX inputs per device. Since the grip has several more inputs than that, Realsim's way of getting around this is by having the grip show up as 2 devices in game controller setting (with assigned DX input numbers from 0-32 on each device). If you notice one device will have axis inputs and this will be the main one where most of the typical buttons are. The second device is usually for non-conventional buttons such as side-way switches, center switches, etc.

In RS app, you'll see DX buttons from 0-63, but in Windows game controller DX numbers greater than 32 will be displayed on the second device and it start from 0-32 instead. So, DX number 63 in RS app will be display as DX number 32 on device 2 in Windows game controller.

I usually keep all my gear, but it is your call on the TM grip. I'm keeping mine as a back up in case this one breaks down and I need to send it in for repair then I'm still going have a Hornet grip to fly. The TM grip is nice and I like it, but the RS grip is just better with extra functions that I do use daily.

Edited by Supmua

What I've been doing.

Bind F1-10 key inputs (for comm) to side switches that normally doesn't have any function in the real plane. For example, WPRL side switches would be F1-F4. However, I put it in memory slot 2 so I cannot accidentally activate it during important gameplay. I set Trigger 1 as a shift switch to mem slot 2, alternatively flipping memory slot dial also works.

Finally got the cockpit together but still waiting on monitor stand. Once I get my pictures sorted out I'll start a thread.

That said, on comms, my thinking is to have the COMM1 and 2 PTT buttons act as modifiers in Joystick Gremlin (not in DCS, I still want them to activate comm menus). So that if a hat direction is pressed, it puts out a vJoy button to use normally as a HOTAS command. But if I press that same hat while the comm switch is held, it spits out F1-F4 (or 5-8 or 9-12).

Doing this also allows for view control on the same hats, if I add a non-PTT button (pressing inward on comm switch) as a modifier in JG.

Thoughts?

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Finally got the cockpit together but still waiting on monitor stand. Once I get my pictures sorted out I'll start a thread.

That said, on comms, my thinking is to have the COMM1 and 2 PTT buttons act as modifiers in Joystick Gremlin (not in DCS, I still want them to activate comm menus). So that if a hat direction is pressed, it puts out a vJoy button to use normally as a HOTAS command. But if I press that same hat while the comm switch is held, it spits out F1-F4 (or 5-8 or 9-12).

Doing this also allows for view control on the same hats, if I add a non-PTT button (pressing inward on comm switch) as a modifier in JG.

Thoughts?

I think that it might work, as long as you don't bind those buttons in DCS directly since shift switch+button from non-DCS app will likely also activate the regular button function in DCS as well.

I'll have to test this with joystick gremlin. There're too many ways to set up shift switches (DCS, RS app, joystick gremlin, Winwing SimApp, and probably Virpil's app too). Currently, I'm just using DCS and RS app to set up shift switches which is plenty.

One possible issue that I could see is that when you switch planes you may have to switch profiles in joystick gremlin, which is an extra step. And that is why I like binding in DCS first, as the profile would switch automatically when you select a plane to fly.

Edited by Supmua

I've got one massive profile in JG that has all of my controllers in it. Right now I'm using about 115 vJoy buttons, and haven't had to add a second vJoy Device yet. The worst that happens if I switch grips or throttles is having to close JG and reopen it (in addition to unmounting a throttle or stick grip).

As for the hats, correct, you couldn't bind them directly, you'd have to bind to the vJoy buttons that are activated when they're pressed. In this case, the comm switch would be an action condition in JG and not a modifier in DCS.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Really wish i could afford this they make such awesome sim gear.

Well, the grass is always greener on the other side isn't it. Having owned a lot of these gear I can tell you that there's no massive difference that many make them out to be. People would say that the difference is night and day when comparing brand A to brand B, I'd simply say meh. None of these gear is perfect, and each have their own quirks and perks. Know your gear inside out and know how to use or modify them to best suit your need, and you'll be just fine.