Jester backup wheel

zmzbg

Hey guys, I have no problem with the "Jester Option" recognition and use, and that kind of backup is indeed super handy for some stuff like map markers and so on.

But I also have the plane disapearing issue. When the wheel appear, no plane anymore...

I need to switch to RIO sit then back in pilot seat to get back in my plane :p

Any idea with that issue?

The plane should reappear when you have closed the wheel

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I think the plane Disapearing or rather getting in the HUD only view, is how the backup wheel is designed (and what I don't like about it) but releasing the TX or completing the command selection through the wheel should return you to normal view.

Are you using HOTMIC? I haven't tried it like that.

To confirm back-up wheel behavior is by design:

- You do not see the menu wheel in cockpit view, but key commands (and VA key sequences) still work. This should be improving the experience when using custom keysequences for the wheel that you programmed yourself in VA.

- You see the back-up wheel by calling ' Jester,... Options' and keeping PTT key pressed. Use 'Take' commands to select options, alternatively use standard wheel keyboard cmds Ctrl-1 etc.

- Releasing PTT key closes the back-up wheel and returns to standard cockpit view.

- Also you can manually bring up the back-up wheel by switching to HUD-only view (Alt-F1) and then press A to bring up the wheel.

Grtz

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

- You do not see the menu wheel in cockpit view, but key commands (and VA key sequences) still work. This should be improving the experience when using custom keysequences for the wheel that you programmed yourself in VA.

Grtz

I Just found this out, VERY VERY useful!

- Also you can manually bring up the back-up wheel by switching to HUD-only view (Alt-F1) and then press A to bring up the wheel.

Grtz

AHHHHH Very good to know! I had Just "invented" and alternative to this, for a command I needed (Tell Jester To select a Target and End up On The STT Specific Target Menu directly) But this will make it simpler and less messy.

Why couldn't we get a normal Jester wheel backup without using voice commands (just pressing a button and using track IR and/or the keyboard)?

Don't get me wrong, I know the purpose of using AIRIO is to avoid pushing buttons, but during busy phases of flight/combat if something is not working (bad pronunciation, forgotten commands etc.) all we want is to "stick to the basics" without and acting quickly in a different way not linked to voice but to something more straightfoward.

• Like 1

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

Just as a 'by the way', it looks like Heatblur are going to eventually be allowing more current menu-only commands to be accessed via control bindings, which might make life more straightforward, depending on which commands you might be struggling to get across and which ones they might be allowing bindings for.

Why couldn't we get a normal Jester wheel backup without using voice commands (just pressing a button and using track IR and/or the keyboard)?

Don't get me wrong, I know the purpose of using AIRIO is to avoid pushing buttons, but during busy phases of flight/combat if something is not working (bad pronunciation, forgotten commands etc.) all we want is to "stick to the basics" without and acting quickly in a different way not linked to voice but to something more straightfoward.

I think the reason Hollywood made it this way, from my observations I made with a small .lua malfunction (I believe) that I got before last update, I was able to see that if the regular Jester Wheel was kept active using AIRIO commands would still blink it to appear on screen. I personally would prefer to have this option too, but after my initial disappointment I'm not unhappy with things as they stand at the moment.

You can actually still do what you want, Jester Wheel still works in the background (it's just invisible) if you know what keys to press. If you do need to see it without saying "Jester Options" you can to the HUD only view (LALT+F1) and press 'A' to use it there.

• 4 weeks later...

Backup wheel isn't working for me.

Jester - Options brings up the wheel, but my take-# commands aren't working. If I say "take-1" without the wheel present, the command is recognized by voiceattack. However, while holding the PTT to keep the wheel up after saying jester-options, the take commands do nothing...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Hi there

This is not reproducible: make sure you are running latest plugin (2.5.22.2) and AIRIO (2.5.9) version.

Confirm in DCS options/Special/F-14 Radio Menu and PTT Behavior is set to default.

All confirmed - latest versions, and radio menu behaviour set to default.

I think I know what the issue is, though not the cause. Attached is a screenshot of my VA window. As you can see, as soon as the Jester - Options command is recognized, VA stops listening, even when the PTT is still being held (you can see that I release the PTT after it has already stopped listening). So therefore, even though I'm holding the PTT and still seeing the backup window in front of me, VA has stopped listening for commands.

It's possibly a VA problem vice a Vaicom problem, but I'm not sure what would cause this?

Voiceattack.jpg.c471d20a725cf6dacd074d6b0fd45593.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

OK to narrow down can you provide your settings please for ICS Hot Mic, Release Hot and VoIP integrations.

Also to confirm if this occurs in SP or MP and whether it is repeatable across different missions.

To exclude VA profile as a factor, suggested to import a fresh .vap profile via Config tab/Export for testing.

Enable Debug Mode and look for any out of the ordinary log messages.

Thanks

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

OK to narrow down can you provide your settings please for ICS Hot Mic, Release Hot and VoIP integrations.

Also to confirm if this occurs in SP or MP and whether it is repeatable across different missions.

To exclude VA profile as a factor, suggested to import a fresh .vap profile via Config tab/Export for testing.

Enable Debug Mode and look for any out of the ordinary log messages.

Thanks

Thanks for the help!

Occurs in SP and MP, and is repeatable. Settings are in the screenshots (I don't know what you mean by release hot and VOIP integrations, but hot mic is off)

New VAP didn't help (I did run the finish steps and everything again to get it to recognize Jester, but it did. The same problem presented itself as before).

Debug mode enabled, results attached.

Voiceattack1.thumb.jpg.7bcc22da22621bb21937c584f88852c1.jpg

Voiceattack3.thumb.jpg.535560005ec6863a9f4b8857462b66f1.jpg

Can you check if there's a change in behavior if you disable SRS Integration, SRS PRTT mapping and/or when switching VOIP Control to Broadcast Parallel.

Disabling SRS PTT and SRS integration did nothing, however - disabling dynamic switching fixed the problem.

Diving deeper into it, turning dynamic switching back on (with SRS PTT and SRS integration on) but disabling auto switch also fixed the problem.

Therefore it appears auto switch is the culprit?