CRM vs AA

HoYa

AA is a master mode. CRM is a radar mode. It's not a good question to ask about them as "A or B" since they are selections of different systems. To elaborate all the reasonable avionics modes: nav, aa, missile override, dogfight override can all use CRM or ACM radar mode at will.

But, technical lesson aside, I know what you mean. What's the difference between AA which often uses CRM (and does by default) and missile override which also uses CRM for the radar commonly and by default?

This is the significance of a master mode: it's not just the radar mode and weapon selection. Each avionics mode is an independent package of many avionics settings. Radar mode, radar sub mode, radar azimuth, radar bar, the 6 MFD shortcut format preferences, weapon selected, and some other features are all saved on a per-mode basis. You can configure MO as being on TWS and AA as RWS and flip quickly back and forth.

Without deliberately programming them differently, not much is different but there are small details like master arm, selecting AA mode won't set your AIM-9s to cool from warm but MO will.

Can anyone pls explain the difference between pushing the AA button right in front of the pilot (next to AG) and switching to CRM (Opposite dogfight mode) ???

Thanks to all who reply

Based on I have seen, they are basically the same but Dogfight key is a faster way since you dont have to take your hand off the Hotas. Also dogfight offers you two options.

Can anyone pls explain the difference between pushing the AA button right in front of the pilot (next to AG) and switching to CRM (Opposite dogfight mode) ???

Thanks to all who reply

I think you mean MRM? As in MRM / DGFT switch?

No difference between MRM mode and AA master mode. The main advantage is you can be in AG mode, and with one flick of a switch, go to either DGFT or MRM mode, and then flick back to AG mode.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz // Nvidia GTX 1080Ti // 32 GB DDR4 RAM // 1 TB SSD

I think you mean MRM? As in MRM / DGFT switch?

No difference between MRM mode and AA master mode. The main advantage is you can be in AG mode, and with one flick of a switch, go to either DGFT or MRM mode, and then flick back to AG mode.

MRM is not a mode, you're thinking of Missile Override. MRM stands for Medium Range Missile, and lets you know how many AIM120s you have remaining.