Menu select "take X" not working anymore?

Sharkku

The commands for selecting menu items, i.e. pressing F-buttons is not working anymore. I used to be able to say "take one", "take five" to select from the radio menu, but it's not working. Voice Attack is recognising my commands, and commands are sent to VAICOM, there is a line in the VA log window saying "menu item 1 select" or something like that, but nothing is happening witin DCS. I can still select from the menu by physically pressing the F-keys.

I deleted the export.lua files under \saved games as per the FAQ instructions, no joy.

This used to work, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Someone please help? Is it a bug in latest VAICOM?

I tried this at lunchtime using the P-47 and initially had issues. Resetting the lua coda and importing a clean VAICOM profile / repeating Finish steps seems to have cleared it for me.

A few things I noticed which may help as well:

1. Issuing a lot of commands quickly to select menu options seemed to cause an issue

2. Getting the steps out of order can confuse it (e.g. Take before options)

3. The menu sometimes stays up when the ATC responds to inbound. Saying Take 12 before releasing the PTT clears this. If you don't clear (you can use the F12 key as well) before saying the next command the system gets confused.

The last point is interesting as the menu only appeared / stayed up in about 50% of my tries.

Will test more extensively later to see how it works over an extended period

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hmmm... Gonna test this some more next week. I might have to venture through all my modules, as I've had issues for two days with the Shark, but no issues in the Hip and some other modules I just tried by chance.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Have now tried with the KA-50 and can confirm that I also have a delay.

The delay is exactly 60 seconds between VAICOM beeping to say it has recognised the command and the text appearing on screen (either my command and the response in the top left corner or the menu top right if I use options). This is so regular it seems like it might be either a timeout value or an inbuilt delay.

Will now try some other craft and see what happens

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I have now run quick tests on all the modules I own (excluding FC3 aircraft). The following modules seemed to work fine:

A10c, AV8B, C101, F14, F16, F18, JF17, M2000c, MiG-21Bis, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19P, P51D, Spitfire, UH-1H

The following modules seemed to work fine until I used a Select command at which stage they all suddenly experienced delays:

BF-109 (expected as it is down as a known issue module), F86, FW190-A8, FW190-D9, KA-50, P47D-30

The method of testing used for each airframe was to:

select a free flight from the instant mission,

active pause the module as soon as the mission started so I didn't have to worry about flying,

call inbound and wait for text to appear top right,

use options and work through the menu options,

use Select command to pick an airbase,

call inbound and wait for text to appear top right,

use options and wait for the menu to appear

I also tried removing the 2 Radio Control options from the VAICOM profile to see if this would make any difference and it didn't appear to.

I have also tried resetting the LUA files, after running a DCS repair.

All on latest standalone OB

Edited by hornblower793

I'm having the same issue as the OP

I'm using the p51 and F5 modules and I can't seem to select anything from the mission options menu items. None of the "take" commands work. I get the beep and acknowledgment. The debug window shows that the command was processed but nothing happens. I've tried cleaning up the lua files and also clearing my profile but that doesn't seem to work. The only way I've gotten things to work was to downgrade back to 2.5.21. Is this a bug in the latest vaicom pro?

Hi toffy! Thanks for you're input! I just thought it would be better to have same issues in same sub thread.

Anyway. I started out testing in sort of the same way as Hornblower, but not as vigorously, and I forgot one major thing. To test the Options Menu.

I just tested basic radio tuning and ATC. Cold starts Persian Gulf. Didn't get far in my list though: A-10C, C-101, F-16C, F-5-E all okay. Skipped the 109 too.

I'll du better testing later.

Hi toffy! Thanks for you're input! I just thought it would be better to have same issues in same sub thread.

Anyway. I started out testing in sort of the same way as Hornblower, but not as vigorously, and I forgot one major thing. To test the Options Menu.

I just tested basic radio tuning and ATC. Cold starts Persian Gulf. Didn't get far in my list though: A-10C, C-101, F-16C, F-5-E all okay. Skipped the 109 too.

I'll du better testing later.

Will be interesting to see how well the lists correlate - i have always found ATC to be temperamental at the best of times.....

Will be interesting to see how well the lists correlate - i have always found ATC to be temperamental at the best of times.....

Hehe! True, so true. What I meant was that I didn't get any delays from beeps in VAICOM to my muted pilots voice. Startup and taxi requests were promptly issued. Take off not so, but that's a bug in DCS on some airfields IIRC. I've seen it mostly on Nellis, but if you just "push through" onto the runway, it triggers. Cool part yesterday was that one C-130 came taxing behind me as I waited to get clearance. He stopped behind me, and when I just entered the runway he advanced and stopped correctly as well, and took off after me. Looked really cool, and it proves that some of the logic works very well.

Have just tested with the latest hotfix for VAICOM and still have the same issues.

I did notice that once I had been in the KA-50 (which has delayed responses from the start) and switched straight to another of the modules I have issues with they would also be delayed response from the start. If I switched to the A10c quickly and then the P47D this cleared the problem until select was used again.

Good call - I have tried both the P47D and the KA-50 now.

I mapped the PTT options in both planes to single keys and pressing these cleared the delays. Commands then worked perfectly until the next Select commands when the delay re-appears. Pressing key again cleared this

I haven't tried this, but now seem to have problems getting the FW-190 (either variant) recognised in VAICOM until I press the keyboard PTT button. It then shows as the module in the VAICOM config screen but does not respond without a delay (or not at all and the RLY light in VAICOM does not come on)

EDIT: Having tried some more this seems to be an issue with Instant Action missions (I have only tried free flight). When trying from my own missions modules seem to pick up fine and select does not cause an issue.

Edited by hornblower793

I'm also having the issue where all commands are working other than the "Take xx" menu/option command.

In all aircraft I own, form the Bf-109 to the Hornet.

I also noticed that in the Vaicom Pro console that selecting/deselecting "Allow Options" doesn't show a response in the VA window, unlike when you select/deselect other variables in the VP console

i7 10700k @4.8GHz | Aurora GTX 3080 | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Pro 1Tb x 3 | Corsair 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

HP Reverb G2 | Vkb Gunfighter II MCG Pro Stick | Virpil T-50CM Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Custom built collective | 150 button custom cockpit with 3 x Cougar MFDs

I'm having the same problem with "Take xx" command. I hear a beep but nothing happens. Sure hate to lose this function. I emailed viacom support and they said they couldn't duplicate the problem so...sorry. Can't imagine what's wrong. Was working great until last update, or update before last I guess. How do you roll back to previous version?

I don't think it is that @Hollywood_315 doesn't acknowledge the problem but if it cannot be replicated on the test rig (we are not talking a big company with loads of test rigs) then it can be very hard to track down ( I know because I spent many years coding / leading development teams).

It would possibly be helpful if everyone could run the same scenario, albeit with different airframes, to see whether the misbehaviour is consistent. I ran all mine throught the DCS Instant action freeflight missions (see previous post in this thread) but interestingly could not get the same behaviour in simple missions I created with just a single airframe. I will experiment further later and see if I can find anything

I have now done some more testing and think I have narrowed the issue down (certainly in my case) to something related to air starts.

I used one of the built in free flight missions as a base and in turn tried the FW190-D9, KA-50 and P-47. For each one I first set up a very simple flight plan of takeoff from runway and then fly to a waypoint. When I flew these all modules were instantly recognised by VAICOM and the radio behaved as expected.

For each in turn I then changed the 'takeoff' point to a fly over point in the mission editor without moving it and left all other settings unchanged. On flying starting the mission, the FW190 was not recognised by VAICOM until I pressed the keyboard key for PTT and then the radios worked until I issued a select command - after this nothing worked (including selecting from the menus) until I used the keyboard PTT key again.

Would be useful if someone else could also try this testing with one of the modules they have an issue with and see if the behaviour is the same.

In this, I also noticed that the comms menu appears at random when a command is issued and I had to use Take 12 to clear it. This has only happened since the Jester backup wheel was introduced

Hopefully I'll get home and start testing tomorrow. Will try to follow your procedure Hornblower. It would be cool if all of us that has problems can test every module in a similar way. And report which modules

What type of "mission". Can the "Options Menu" be forced to show if one presses the "on module" radio button/key combinations. I really hope Hollywood is reading this as I think that this last part might be a clue.

I also have the issue of "take x" command not functioning. Other commands work as well as they always have done.

Mostly flying F18 in single player campaigns. RAMP start with engines already running.

Does the command work for standard menu items (e.g.contacting ATC) and does it work if it is the first command you use once you have spawned (and tuned the radio to the correct frequency)? If it doesn't, does it then work once you have pressed the keyboard PTT key?

Do you run Easy comms on or off?

Which version of DCS do you fly?

Which VAICOM extension packs do you run?

Sorry for the questions, but trying to pin down a simple set of steps to replicate the problem (or maybe find that everyone's is different).