Weather development

nicka117

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of enhancements would you like to see? What do you find lacking presently?

Everything is there to an extent it’s just not fixed in place, there is cloud pop in, clouds that look very simple, I would like to see a weather system where you get a preview of the settings you dial in, where you can add thunder, wind, rain, snow, lightning, different wave types, different moonlights, sizzling heat, damp puddles on the runway, realistic looking clouds that move in different patterns and that have different formations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Hi all,

Apreciate it feels like forever for the clouds, the team are working on it, but it can not be rushed, we have seen what our competitors have done and the bar is high, with that said lets keep the other sim discussion out of the thread.

As soon as we are ready we will share more news, I will ask if we can share some screenshots soon.

thank you

Thanks Bignewy, happy to see that the clouds are in active development. Rain looks fine enough but the clouds are just underwhelming in 2020. I understand that the competitor set the bar really high but they also have a big budget however, I think that the vast majority of DCS pilots are not expecting that level but just having volumetric clouds with different layers and types and synced in multiplayer.

Sharing some of the WIP in upcoming newsletters would be great.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Hi all,

Apreciate it feels like forever for the clouds, the team are working on it, but it can not be rushed, we have seen what our competitors have done and the bar is high, with that said lets keep the other sim discussion out of the thread.

As soon as we are ready we will share more news, I will ask if we can share some screenshots soon.

thank you

Thank you for the update Bignewy!

we can't wait to see some screen :-)

:thumbup:

Clouds are only a part of the Weather Development.

Hi, have you planned to model a really rough sea to the point that the aircraft carriers really move (on X, Y and Z) according to the weather?

That would be a more interesting challenge for the landing on carrier.

And should be interesting to dev a helo SAR module (the helo at the side of the carrier)

Best regards

Everything is there to an extent it’s just not fixed in place, there is cloud pop in, clouds that look very simple, I would like to see a weather system where you get a preview of the settings you dial in, where you can add thunder, wind, rain, snow, lightning, different wave types, different moonlights, sizzling heat, damp puddles on the runway, realistic looking clouds that move in different patterns and that have different formations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question I ask myself is if whether these enhancements add to the tactical aspect of the simulation.

Does having pretty clouds add to the challenge of winning an engagement?

IMO, having properly modeled low visibility conditions increases the challenge, because if one crashes as a result of not being able to handle the weather, the result is the same as being shot down.

As for realism, they should get the runway environment perfected, such as proper markings and runway and approach lighting first, before such things as hovering rescue helicopters.

• ED Team
Hi, have you planned to model a really rough sea to the point that the aircraft carriers really move (on X, Y and Z) according to the weather?

That would be a more interesting challenge for the landing on carrier.

And should be interesting to dev a helo SAR module (the helo at the side of the carrier)

Best regards

We do want much better sea physics for sure, but you have to remember the cost of calculations of all the movements involved with the water, the ships, and the aircraft, then throw in MP, and you have a big mess. We push it as much as we can, as we can for sure.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

The question I ask myself is if whether these enhancements add to the tactical aspect of the simulation.

Does having pretty clouds add to the challenge of winning an engagement?

• They define whether or not you can see the ground target(s) you're tasked with attacking.
  • They allow you (or your enemy) to escape from a dogfight, or turn a disadvantageous position to their example.
  • They impact various aircraft sensors.
  • They affect your ability to keep formation with your flight.
  • They dictate your waypoint routing to and from the target.
  • They dictate your available altitude to and from the target.
  • They dictate whether certain aircraft or helicopters can even take off.

I'm sure there are many other tactical implications, too, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

• They define whether or not you can see the ground target(s) you're tasked with attacking.
  • They allow you (or your enemy) to escape from a dogfight, or turn a disadvantageous position to their example.
  • They impact various aircraft sensors.
  • They affect your ability to keep formation with your flight.
  • They dictate your waypoint routing to and from the target.
  • They dictate your available altitude to and from the target.
  • They dictate whether certain aircraft or helicopters can even take off.

I'm sure there are many other tactical implications, too, but those are the ones that spring immediately to mind.

In addition:

• They won't break immersion (rotating clouds in VR/TrackIR :music_whistling:)
  • They won't break immersion and make one dizzy (distant clouds dis-/reappearing in left/right eye in VR:music_whistling:)
  • They would add to tactical choices/options (clear sky at home airfield and overcast or mist at target location)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

The fact that some users don't understand how incredibly relevant weather is to combat aviation is probably the best example of how poor the current weather simulation is.

You're missing the point:

Compare the visibility of departure airports only, not after flying to the destination airport.

For example, put your airplane on the runway at Batumi (near sea level) and set the fog to 300 meters. Notice how far you can see.

Now put your airplane on the runway at Tbilisi (about 1500 feet ASL) and set the fog to 300 meters. Notice that you can see multiple times the distance you had at Batumi.

I guess I am...

I just think that from your perspective the visibility setting should be tied to the takeoff airfield of the player aircraft.

From my perspective that doesn't make sense.

It makes more sense to set the visibility based on sea level visibility... so if you need 200M vis for whatever airport you're trying to work with... you set the sea level vis to somewhere lower than that so it's correct at your intended target airfield. It's not super difficult to work that out... and then it makes more sense...

what if you have a MP mission or a complex SP mission where you have available planes at multiple airports???

Where should visibility be set then???

At sea level maybe???

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

attachment.php?attachmentid=246061&stc=1&d=1598618875

Woah! Now that's pretty impressive. Where did you get that pic from?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Impressive !

Specs: Win10 64bits Pro, Intel i9-9900K | 32Go | RTX 2080 Ti | M.2 SSD 850go x2

Hardware: HTC Vive Pro + X56

Maps : Normandy + Assets | Gulf | Nevada

DCS Modules: FC3 | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | A-10C | F/A-18C | Ka-50 | SuperCarrier | F-14A/B | F-5E | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | Mig-19 | MiG-21bis | AV-8B | Fw 190 D-9 | SA342 | P-51D | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | M-2000C | F-16C

Impressive !

impressive indeed. looks like they might be able to trade blows with that civil aviation sim, everybody is talking about.

for me it would be fine even if it looked half as good, as long as they can get it working without too big of a performance impact (raymarcher better be it's own thread).

nah, i'm pretty sure that's in-engine. these raymarched clouds are becoming the industry standard and the picture matches the wip-screenshot we got in november and that was definitely in-engine.

enough other reasons to be sceptical; performance and complexity of underlying weather model etc.

can't we get some more information on this very much requested feature other than the single screenshot? last year wags said, that they would aim (no promise obviously) for a end of 2019 release... there should be something more to share 10 month later, shouldn't it?