Walleye - what am I doing wrong here?

imacken

I'm sure it must be obvious, but can anyone point out what I am doing wrong here? Track is in NTTR.

Walleye just goes nowhere near target.

walleye.trk

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I’m not trying to be patronizing in any way - are you taking along the data link? I may be wrong, but I believe the one and only use for the data pod is talking to the Walleye. Without it, again I may be wrong, I don’t think you can control it.

So that I can learn from you, what do you use the Walleye for? Does it do really well against certain targets, or is it just for fun? Thanks.

Thanks guys.

I don’t think it’s a speed issue as Wag’s and the Reaper’s YT vids are at similar speeds.

I’m not using Datalink, just in fire and forget mode.

I’ll post a bug if no one can see anything wrong with what I’m doing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You dropped it at a distance of about 7-8nm at a height of 11,000ft AGL. I don't think the bomb had enough energy to reach it's target.

I took control of your track immediately after you achieved at lock, and waited until the distance indicated 4nm before launching, and it struck the target.

Thank you for posting a track, it's incredibly helpful for this kind of thing.

Don't want to pursue this too long as I guess the Walleye isn't a wepaon we'll use too much, but I remain totally confused by what is happening here.

The track I posted was straight from the ED/Wag's Walleye mission from the Hornet module. I am not changing anything.

I regularly get the situation where the weapon drops WAY short of the locked target in fire and forget mode, as well as in datalink guided mode. What is shown on the TV camera doesn't always end up with a hit anywhere near the target, and that can be from as near as 5-7 miles.

I thought this weapon had a range of around 30 miles. I know it obviously depends on launch conditions, but I'm not convinced there isn't something wrong here.

Edited by imacken

Don't want to puruse this too long as I guess the Walleye isn't a wepaon we'll use too much, but I remain totally confused by what is happening here.

The track I posted was straight from the ED/Wag's Walleye mission from the Hornet module. I am not changing anything.

I regularly get the situation where the weapon drops WAY short of the locked target in fire and forget mode, as well as in datalink guided mode. What is shown on the TV camera doesn't always end up with a hit anywhere near the target, and that can be from as near as 5-7 miles.

I thought this weapon had a range of around 30 miles. I know it obviously depends on launch conditions, but I'm not convinced there isn't something wrong here.

I've not had a problem with Walleye at all. Max range is closer to 10-12 nm at approx 20000ft.

Only times I've had a short is when target wasn't locked properly.

Edit: Looking at the track - there's a big possibility you're not in range. Try designating the target and waiting for TTMR to time out / IN RNG. Also, you active paused, do you think that might mess with guidance logic?

Edited by AvroLanc

I've not had a problem with Walleye at all. Max range is closer to 10-12 nm at approx 20000ft.

Only times I've had a short is when target wasn't locked properly.

Did you run the track on the first post?

Did you run the track on the first post?

Yep. Repeat it with a WPDSG near the target. DESG first, then uncage.

Edit: Bear in mind that when slaved to a TGT point, the seeker can't be slewed (similar to IR Mavs), to slew you need to undesignate, which then dumps the IN RNG information. I'm sure this is a mis-implementation.

Edited by AvroLanc

Yep, don't use WPDSG. It just happens to have a target on a waypoint in that mission. I was just using the waypoint for a distance guide. Whenever I have got WPDSG to work, it seems to be OK, but that's not the issue here.

However, on the subject of WPDSG, just like everything else to do with the Walleye, it only works for me about half of the times I try to use it. I only get the weapon to slew to a WPDSG target occasionally. Most of the time, it just won't.

Another thing, cage/uncage never uncages. Always have to use crab. Is that normal? A recent change in behaviour?

Yep, don't use WPDSG. It just happens to have a target on a waypoint in that mission. I was just using the waypoint for a distance guide. Whenever I have got WPDSG to work, it seems to be OK, but that's not the issue here.

However, on the subject of WPDSG, just like everything else to do with the Walleye, it only works for me about half of the times I try to use it. I only get the weapon to slew to a WPDSG target occasionally. Most of the time, it just won't.

Another thing, cage/uncage never uncages. Always have to use crab. Is that normal? A recent change in behaviour?

Range was definitely the issue though in your first post.

I think Master Arm has to be on to uncage Walleye. Presumably this is correct......?

Press and hold CRAB to re-cage. Always been that way. Don’t know what that stands for though.

Range was definitely the issue though in your first post.

I think Master Arm has to be on to uncage Walleye. Presumably this is correct......?

Press and hold CRAB to re-cage. Always been that way. Don’t know what that stands for though.

OK, thanks. range was the issue in the first track.

I really am on the verge of never going near the Walleye again! For me, there are so many things that are hit and miss, even when I do the exact same thing.

One big issue I have is that I can't trim out the effect of dropping one Walleye. Even though I have my thumb permanently on the right trim, I can never get level flight back which is a little bit of a problem!

Another current issue is that I can't get the seeker to slew to a WPDSG target. I've tried wating till in range, or not, designate TDC before/after WPDSG the target, etc. etc.

Look at attached track and tell me this time why I can't get the Walleye to slew to the WPDSG target.

EDIT: Bizarrely, when I watched the track back, it slewed to the target OK! Yet, when I watched it a second time, it didn't. Nor did it the 3rd time. This is kind of consistent with what I am experiencing with the Walleye. Sometimes things work and some times they don't.

Don't know what is going on.

walleye wpdsg.trk

OK, thanks. range was the issue in the first track.

I really am on the verge of never going near the Walleye again! For me, there are so many things that are hit and miss, even when I do the exact same thing.

One big issue I have is that I can't trim out the effect of dropping one Walleye. Even though I have my thumb permanently on the right trim, I can never get level flight back which is a little bit of a problem!

Another current issue is that I can't get the seeker to slew to a WPDSG target. I've tried wating till in range, or not, designate TDC before/after WPDSG the target, etc. etc.

Look at attached track and tell me this time why I can't get the Walleye to slew to the WPDSG target.

EDIT: Bizarrely, when I watched the track back, it slewed to the target OK! Yet, when I watched it a second time, it didn't. Nor did it the 3rd time. This is kind of consistent with what I am experiencing with the Walleye. Sometimes things work and some times they don't.

Don't know what is going on.

Yeah I see what you mean on the slewing issue. My first watch of your track slewed perfectly ok, 2nd and 3rd replay didn't slew at all. I took control, and still no slew. I've not seen this before.

I generally use WE in the datalink mode. It's one of the things that makes WE (and SLAM) stand out from JDAM / LGB etc. Pretty fun employing them, good for instant BDA. Otherwise it's a historical curiosity, although widely used in it's day. Nice to have around for variety.

Generally I found WE to be one of the more bug free weapons when it was introduced and still is now.

Maybe try a different mission for a fresh start.

For trimming, it's not too difficult. anticipate the roll and it will need about 3-4 seconds of aileron trim as a start. See what it gives you. Even so there's plenty of time to guide it in using DL, although harder when evading SAMs!

Thanks. I’m glad you are seeing the same thing. This was a different mission though, so it is definitely something wrong I feel.

I’m going to post a bug on this and see what happens.

Re trimming, I have tried everything to make this work. I know the WEs are heavy, but unadjusted, the Hornet goes into a spin and heads groundwards very quickly. I have to keep a very heavy right stick movement as the right wing down trim seems to have very little effect. Makes steering with DL almost impossible!

Just keep putting in trim. It's going to need a lot. If you're holding constant stick pressure that's your indication you need trim.

The hornet's trim is really "slow", you'll need to press the trim buttons thrice as long (or even longer) in order to apply the same trim you would with other aircraft.

As for the walleye, I wouldn't use it without the DL pod.

Thanks guys. My point is, as stated in a few posts above, that I am unable to trim it out. Constant thumb pressure on right trim seems to have no effect and I have to maintain a constant stick pressure to keep level. This makes trying to lock/steer a second WE almost impossible.

I would suspect my controller, but this only happens with the WE.

Strange, slewing to the target didn't work on your replay, and I couldn't control the seeker. I backed out and loaded the mission directly (Weapon Qualification - AGM-62 Walleye (Caucasus). And it wouldn't work there.

I loaded the Nevada version of the same mission and it worked just fine?????????

There is definitely something wrong in various aspects here. I tried on Stable version, and had none of the issues I’ve reported on here.

I posted the ‘uncage not slewing’ in the bugs section.

To slew one has to press and hold the target designation button. Is this the correct way? (It only slews if I press this button during slewing.)

Edit: Yes, this is correct if realistic slew is selected in the menu options.

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

To slew one has to press and hold the target designation button. Is this the correct way? (It only slews if I press this button during slewing.)

Edit: Yes, this is correct if realistic slew is selected in the menu options.

Yes, that is the correct way.

The other thread I posted in the bugs section on the slewing issue https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4405134#post4405134 has now been marked as [REPORTED] by BN, and he has said it is fxed internally.

• 3 weeks later...

BN, are you sure you are watching the track more than once? It's always OK first time, but as before, not second or third time.