Is the map worth of money? even when on Sale?

GumidekCZ

Reasons why will not buy?

Flat terrain bothers me, but what I really luck is authenticity when looking out of cockpit to have the same feel when I see WW2 aerial photos of Normady...now the map features just some well detailed major towns and airstrips. Rest of the map feels like random generated treelines and feelds without streams, irregularities, small villages, lonley houses,...and many more >:( This for me is another example of not finished product selled for price not worth of it. Therefore will not buy it only because some WW2 servers run it.

I really hope that Ugra will put more effort into Syria map.

This isnt suppose to be some kind of troll or hate post, but small push for devs from customer who thought about to buy the map, find things may be other potentional custmers move away from same reasons.

Was never really into the warbirds per se but got sucked in on the P47. Decided to try some Mp The other day. Between nobody flying and the fact that for whatever reason, the F10 maps don’t show ANYONE make it zero enjoyable for me personally.

Would be nice to at least know where I was if not maybe the friends. Yeah, I get it, learn to read a map and navigate but there has to be some component of what “I” consider fun to keep me hooked. Well back to the F-14 for me.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Was never really into the warbirds per se but got sucked in on the P47. Decided to try some Mp The other day. Between nobody flying and the fact that for whatever reason, the F10 maps don’t show ANYONE make it zero enjoyable for me personally.

Would be nice to at least know where I was if not maybe the friends. Yeah, I get it, learn to read a map and navigate but there has to be some component of what “I” consider fun to keep me hooked. Well back to the F-14 for me.

:doh::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, if server admins upload a full realistic mission without "map radar" and external views and everything, that's a game breaker… yeah… sure… :doh: With regards to WWII servers, there's quite a bunch running now, I've been gaming WWII lately with like 30 fellas, if you found nobody is just you didn't look at the right place.

And again, you were trying to play a hardcore simulator, for what? :music_whistling:

To OP. Now Normandy works quite well, good FPS, good detail and even better since last big update not long ago. Buying or not is just up to you. If good old dead reckoning is a problem for you for whatever reason that's only your problem not to learn how to do it, not a map's flaw. Yeah, the map is flat, damn French people and their flat full of hedges country… :D :thumbup:

S!

• Like 3

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

:doh::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, if server admins upload a full realistic mission without "map radar" and external views and everything, that's a game breaker… yeah… sure… :doh: With regards to WWII servers, there's quite a bunch running now, I've been gaming WWII lately with like 30 fellas, if you found nobody is just you didn't look at the right place.

And again, you were trying to play a hardcore simulator, for what? :music_whistling:

To OP. Now Normandy works quite well, good FPS, good detail and even better since last big update not long ago. Buying or not is just up to you. If good old dead reckoning is a problem for you for whatever reason that's only your problem not to learn how to do it, not a map's flaw. Yeah, the map is flat, damn French people and their flat full of hedges country… :D :thumbup:

S!

Yeah your right. Forget about my opinion. Everyone needs to learn to enjoy it your way. Any chance you could publish a little ditty about how I’m supposed to enjoy DCS?

Btw. I like blond women, is that the wrong thing?

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Yeah your right. Forget about my opinion. Everyone needs to learn to enjoy it your way. Any chance you could publish a little ditty about how I’m supposed to enjoy DCS?

Try 475th Fighter Group Server

VR friendly, see yourself and team on F10 map, enemy if within visual range.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

No, of course not. Everybody should learn to enjoy things in YOUR way. You see the irony? :thumbup:

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Try 475th Fighter Group Server

VR friendly, see yourself and team on F10 map, enemy if within visual range.

Thank you. I will give it a try. The P-47 module is really nice. Hope to find a fit w my style.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using it for helo ops recently, and Ive enjoyed it, does seem to be frame friendly and a nice change to the other maps. Its not used a lot on MP but nice to not lose access to servers by not having it.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

Lol @ ''I CANNA PLAY WITHOUT THE GPS''

ROFL I needed that

Ok, in seriousness, it's not THAT hard to read a map. The briefing you presumably clicked through without reading tells you where you're starting from, after that, pick a direction and guesstimate how far you traveled. 20 minutes at 400mph = 133miles. If you get lost climb to 10-15k ft and look out the window for a distinctive feature, maybe a piece of a town jutting out, or a funny looking bend in a river, note its bearing and find it on the map, guess your location.

I mean seriously.... everything that's done in this game and you draw the line at reading a f'ing map? Ten year old BOY SCOUTS know how to do that, ffs ROFL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I bought the map (and yes, the 3D models too... what are they good for?), but basically I use it only for a Mirage A/A refuel mission. I feel the 3 other maps are better with the terrain structure and colors. I am a bit excited about the upcoming Syria map, but will wait for reviews first.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think the Normandy map is quite good. There is a lot of detail and of course things will appear different depending on your altitude, speed, weather, etc...

In fact I recently posted a scenario mission in the "users" files set in the post Normandy invasion time frame. Each time you load the mission a different task is presented and it's set for both single and multi player.

Normandy Summer of 1944

Here's the link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3310523/

Enjoy!

There's so much you can do with it besides just flying the task....

and now working on a Channel map scenario.

I have no complaints for the maps. My biggest wish is for the moving trains to be implemented so that in multi player all participants will see them. There's a great deal of track and train stations that can be utilized in missions if this aspect of the maps is added. It was so much part of ground attack history and when trains are able to be observed by all, the missions will become that much more realistic.

Sincerely,

Skyspin

I5-4670K 4.3GHZ / 32GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080TI /HP Reverb G2 / ASUS Z-97A / SAMSUNG 500 GB SSD /Thrustmaster Warthog / RAZER Tartarus / CORSAIR Void Pro Wireless/  WIN 10

I have no complaints for the maps. My biggest wish is for the moving trains to be implemented so that in multi player all participants will see them. There's a great deal of track and train stations that can be utilized in missions if this aspect of the maps is added. It was so much part of ground attack history and when trains are able to be observed by all, the missions will become that much more realistic.

Sincerely,

Skyspin

I agree, trains would be great but they don't work on any map in multiplayer.

I bought the map (and yes, the 3D models too... what are they good for?), but basically I use it only for a Mirage A/A refuel mission. I feel the 3 other maps are better with the terrain structure and colors. I am a bit excited about the upcoming Syria map, but will wait for reviews first.

And of course if you like multiplayer there is the Storm of War server. Great semi historical missions based on the Normandy map in June and July 1944.

Best use of this map!

• Like 1

How much is the map when it’s on sale?

What I would say is if your a VR user at this moment in time the channel map doesn’t perform for me and I’m not using it, so for me Normandy is the only WW2 environment that performs adequately for VR. It’s not brilliant the views in the channel map are far superior but at this moment in time I think it’s worth having.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it long ago, at full price, because the WWII era planes I bought needed their own world and what was more fitting than that part of Europe?

The last update last year I think, maybe early this year...did improve it some, compared to what it was since it came out. But, and there's always a but. If you're looking for something detailed outside of the scope of the map's title...Normandy, then you may want to look at The Channel map. It'll give you more of a sense of being in that area I think.

But, again there's that word...there's not a lot of SP things for it yet and there's some pretty decent ones for the Normandy map, so it's still flight worthy. :)

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

• 3 months later...

how does performance compare to caucassus roughly?

i'm thinking about getting this on sale as a stopgap before i have a new pc that would run the channel on decent settings. however, i would be quite dissapointed if it would perform worse than caucasus: from the pictures it seems as both maps are of similar fidelity...

normandy has less trees, so can i maybe even expect slightly better performance?

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2020 at 2:11 AM, twistking said:

how does performance compare to caucassus roughly?

i'm thinking about getting this on sale as a stopgap before i have a new pc that would run the channel on decent settings. however, i would be quite dissapointed if it would perform worse than caucasus: from the pictures it seems as both maps are of similar fidelity...

normandy has less trees, so can i maybe even expect slightly better performance?

My delayed response will probably not help you now, but anyone else interested, I have not seen any problems or frame drop flying the P51/A8 at low altitude on Normandy with the following older system. FX6300/16GB ram/RX580 8GB. 

• 3 months later...

Given the Channel map is kinda "not there yet", is this one still good for jets?  Thanks in advanced.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

1 hour ago, VFGiPJP said:

Given the Channel map is kinda "not there yet", is this one still good for jets?  Thanks in advanced.

The Channel map is not big enough for jets anyway. The Normandy map is OK, still quite small, but it depends what you like to do I guess. It has a nice ground detail compared to Caucasus. For older, slower jets like Mig15, F-5E and such you can probably have some fun. Newer supersonic jets still are more suited for large maps like PG or Syria.

The Channel is almost there as far as content go. I can also say that I was very hard about its performance in VR (it was unflyable for me in 2.5.6), and now it seems to be actually better and enjoyable in 2.7 (open beta). Definitely one of the more GPU-intensive maps for my system, but it is also the best looking from low altitude. At least now I get min 30fps, not 5fps like before.

Normandy is very enjoyable with WWII warbirds, and if you haven't, I encourage you to try the TF-51 (free) to see how they feel. The new clouds, propeller technology, damage model and visual explosion/fire effects all come together in 2.7 to give a great warbird experience. Many great DLC campaigns use the Normandy map as well.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

3 minutes ago, Qiou87 said:

The Channel map is not big enough for jets anyway. The Normandy map is OK, still quite small, but it depends what you like to do I guess. It has a nice ground detail compared to Caucasus. For older, slower jets like Mig15, F-5E and such you can probably have some fun. Newer supersonic jets still are more suited for large maps like PG or Syria.

Agree.

I wouldn't take Channel or Normandy for the faster jets than a L-39 or C-101. A-10C fits there nicely but it is already so slow to begin with. 

Flying example L-39 in those works for a navigation training and common sight seeing, but for that helicopters are already better because nicer visuals (sadly F-16 can't be used as it is so fast).

The WW2 era maps are really more suited for WW2 era aircraft as said.

IMHO the Caucasus would become far nicer if there would be community edition for tweaking the visuals (adding trees and buildings) that changes would get then later on voted to it officially. As after flying in Channel or Normandy it starts to feel that other maps are little "empty" in such details. Maybe that is why I don't do so much flying in Nevada and Persian Gulf as they are so empty mostly and I don't like their terrain desert textures and low resolution height maps. In Syria I have enjoyed flying just the long routes as there is fancy small places all over, like follow roads and you see small family building area or so. 

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I have Syria just after I got the V27 OB. In current state, I am very surprised to find it is quite enjoyable in VR in F/A-18C, AJS-37 and a little less extent so in A-4E-C 2.0 Beta 3 and T-45C 1.01, unlike what many other posts/videos say, may be currently, I just fly the map as an airline. My laptop is sub-mid range, 10th Gen i7 16GB with 6GB RTX-2060…

Okay, back to topic, I have mentioned this before, the Channel performance is way subpar when compared to downtown Beirut and Damascus (tried very hard to spell them right). I honestly dunno why. As someone says Normandy map is rather aged, I am not sure if I should put it on my wish list for next sale (cough) or not.

Thanks guys.

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Mower said:

So, a good buy now?

Go Habs Go! 

As for the Normandy map, it's the one I fly the least. It's not a bad map, there's just nothing really special about it. It's kinda meh! All the other maps are better. I would only buy it if you already had all the other maps and just had the urge to own them all.

The Channel map is far, far superior.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

15 hours ago, Mower said:

So, a good buy now?

I believe Normandy is still mostly the map to go in WWII, most online servers use it. It's good enough, not the best and has some small issues, but good for me despite depicting an flat area with very few detail (IRL I mean) so the map isn't specially eye catching, but enough for WWII ops and appropriate to fly. If you plan to fly WWII it's a must, at 50% discount it's worth it.

The Channel is way better, with regard to detail and so, more modern since it uses a newer technology, equivalent to Syria map detail wise. But it was so bashed at first launch perhaps you don't listen much of it right now, though I believe some servers do use it. It's not one or the other unless you must choose, they're quite different with regard to orography and so, and complementary from my point of view.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Mower said:

So, a good buy now?

Practice Riot in Montréal last night, practising for the BIG one in the next couple of weeks. Olé Olé Olé

I have all the maps, Normandy is the one I fly most, Channel might look better but performs worse than Syria or any other map.  With the last update they addressed many of it's shortcomings but Normandy still is the better WWII map.

The decision making flowchart should look like this:

Do you want to fly WWII in DCS?

Yes => Buy Normandy Map  maybe buy Channel Map

No => Don't buy Normandy Map.

I would trial both in the Free Trial programme and see what you think. 

Edited by 71st_AH Rob
  • Like 4