Why can't I see any 3rd party skins??

Trespasser

Sorry guys, I've read many posts re: this and I still don't get why I can't see any of the skins I've downloaded for the A-10C

As far as I know They're supposed to be in:

C:\Users\xone3\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\A-10C

I mean that's MY saved games liveries folder, but they never show up in multiplayer or instant action. I've even changed the last line of the lua so that all countries can use the skins.

Can anyone advise as to the critical piece of info I'm missing?

I even put them in

D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries\A-10C

but nothing ever shows up.

My f-16 skins are all in

C:\Users\xone3\Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\F-16C_50

and they show up just fine.

If I had hair I'd have pulled it all out by now!

Best Regards

Trespasser

mine are in Saved Games for my profile.

C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\A-10C

MA48

Razgriz 016

SAAF 4 Squadron Camo

SAAF 4 Squadron Low Viz

i believe it is preferred to have them here because if put in the ED folder when one does a cleanup the process removes files that are not standard. as far as instant action not sure. MP would only have whats on server.

Edited by silverdevil
additional info

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

Sometimes skin folders are inside another folder with same name when you extract so that can screw up the path

I checked, they all seem fine. it's bizarre.

Silver, yes my path is the same as yours, cept I've never had a DCS.openbeta folder. Maybe because I did the CMD line change from stable release as opposed to a direct download? ... or perhaps the DCS.openbeta folder is from a while back? I only installed DCS last April

There can be deviations in the path, but they depend on how each person installed their software. Is it default "Stable" version of DCS, then that folder name is usually "DCS". If it is a direct to open beta install the folder name is usually "DCS.openbeta". Of course, people can modify their install path and have it COMPLETELY different. So, THAT part of the directory structure only depends on how you installed it and does NOT affect whether the skins work correctly or not as long as the overall structure is correct.

In other words, If you installed it and the path is "..Saved Games\DCS" then if try to create the "Liveries" folder in "..Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" then that is not going to work, because it is looking it to be in "..Saved Games\DCS".

Also, folder names in the directory path need to be EXACT. "liveries" is not the same as "Liveries" (as an example). And need to keep that in mind all the way to the Aircraft folder name. Beyond that, the folders are custom and can be whatever the livery creator set it to be.

Hopefully this helped clear things up.

YES!

The good news: Got them to work finally.

The Bad news: I'm just a dumb ass.

Yes, i had them in the right spot with the right pathing.

Yes, I think was correct in that I needed to change the line at the end of the lua to make sure it included USA as most servers have that as blufor.

Buuut it turns out the when I made the changes to the lua it did not save and I hadn't noticed.

Soo I ASSUME (hate assuming) if you have say a fictional French, or Canadian or whatever and the server doesn't have that in their Blufor list, it doesn't show up in the rearm/refuel window??

Regards

Trespasser

You need to use notepad++ to edit and save LUAs if you still havent been able to save changes.

Heh, I am/was using N++, but I thought closing the proggy saved it automatically:doh:. When i opened up N++ I still had all my UNsaved luas as tabs so obviously no changes had been saved. D'oh!