Upwind leg, Case I help

Talvid

When I let the flaps down my nose rises and It's a rough transition into on-speed AOA. I have to push the nose down to keep from climbing but that only adds airspeed. Any tips on how to enter on speed aoa smoothly?

VR rig - stinkin' cool!

The only thing that really works for me is to make sure I drop the gear and flaps while still in the turn as soon as I see 250kts. By the time I roll out wings level the ballooning effect has passed and I can concentrate on getting on speed.

M

Try to drop the flaps only at 180-190 kts. Below this speed, your nose will drop, above this, you will balloon as you described. Test it for a sweet spot.
Those little hints makes life so much easier. Thx!!! :thumbup:
Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

The only thing that really works for me is to make sure I drop the gear and flaps while still in the turn as soon as I see 250kts. By the time I roll out wings level the ballooning effect has passed and I can concentrate on getting on speed.

M

This to me is the best answer, as you make your hard bank into the downwind leg, once you get down to 250 kts drop the gear and flaps, in the hard bank it won't balloon and when you level out at 600 ft trim for onspeed AOA

I was my issue too when getting dirty, now i drop gear at 220 and Full Flaps, as stated, at <180 kts.

Take care and happy flying,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

What works for me is to drop gear at 250 then wait for the E-bracket to drop before lowering flaps (around 200 knts) then start adding a little power at 150knts. But most people will find their own technique.

You shouldn't be dropping flaps on the upwind, period.

On BRC, 350kt, 800ft, break 1-1.5 DME ahead of the boat in about a 3.5G turn. When your speed gets to 250kt - about halfway through the turn - you drop gear and flaps. The fact that you're still in the turn prevents the nose from climbing. Roll out on downwind, get your AOA sorted (get "on speed", turn "base" when you see the round down at the back of the boat (abeam), maintain about a 30° bank and keep your VVTI (velocity vector) from dropping below 2.5° negative attitude relative to the horizon. Into the groove, call the ball, trap.

To add a little to DasPenguin's post and assuming you are running the upwind at 350 you can drop the flaps on the upwind because they won't actually move until speed drops below 250. You get the flaps full illuminated on the panel but it is orange so you can confirm it is set and it will turn green once they actually drop. I wish they would have set the gear up this way but I guess there is a reason they haven't. So, as I am in the turn I periodically look at airspeed and hit the gear button at <250. I have my 'gear down' on a button on my stick base (desk top VKB stick) that is easy for me to hit w/o needing a lot of searching for it. One thing I do is have the HSI screen on the left display and have the carrier's tacan entered. This gives distance (on the HUD) and direction to the carrier. On the upwind I pass the ship and start my turn when I get about 1.2 miles beyond the ship. On the downwind I watch the small 'direction to the ship' triangle come down the left side of the HSI and initiate my turn when it is a little below 90 deg. This is equal to watching to view the round down on the back of the boat but for me it's easier than constantly looking 90 deg out to my left.

Edited by CBStu

Test your nose not to pitch by lowering you speeds.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |